The Big News

5waldos

Kate --

I wasn't trying to sell you or anybody on Silversea. My only point was that the so-called "game changer" experience shouldn't be a reason to run away from the line.

I understand the points you make about problems which have caused you to look elsewhere. I've had the "foreign exchange fee" with a different cruise line who, from their headquarters in Florida, uses a non-US bank to process their credit card charges. (Technically the problem was with my credit card company, but it was caused by the cruise line's practice.) Like you, I was able to get it fixed, but I do understand how annoying that can be. I did not have that problem with Silversea.

Like you, I find the automatic charity charge most annoying. I always go to the front desk and ask that it be removed. The response has been immediate and polite --- no pressure. I do applaud their charity efforts. If they sold it differently, I'd probably support it. But the coercion they use leaves a bad taste.

I think you have identified a larger problem that seems to be arising with virtually all "luxury" lines. Their marketing efforts and cost-cutting practices are less than "luxurious." I get very annoyed at the "free air" offered by some lines which, when you explore all options, you learn wasn't "free" at all. Similarly cruise lines offer "included shore excursions" and then you find that some of their more desirable excursions aren't included.

How insulting is it for brochures from lines like Crystal and Regent to include a "regular" price that nobody has paid since Moby Dick was a minnow!? Do these "luxury lines" really think their customers are that stupid? Heck, most of these lines simultaneously publish their real prices adjacent to the "brochure price."

So, I agree with you that Silversea is guilty of some of those pretty aggravating practices and that some corner cutting is evident. Unfortunately, I don't think they are alone.

I believe you are wise to explore other options. We've tried Crystal and Regent and enjoyed them both. We look forward to an opportunity to try Seabourn, a line with a very loyal following. So far, we've found Silversea to be the best fit for us, but I certainly realize that others will find better fits for them. Good luck in your search.

I'd recommend that you use your travel agent and the comments section on the onboard booking form to ask for non-alcoholic wine and champagne. We've had success with requests made that way.

Perhaps indicative of a cash flow crunch.

How about 5% off (at least) for customers paying in full at booking and even another 2-3% off for not paying via credit card.

This ! + 1

Let me clarify this promotion a bit. From what I understand, after doing a bit of digging, every SS cruise a TA books from April 1 to December 31 for a 2013 sailing is eligible for entrance in the Mercedes drawing (TA reward). The client will be entered in a 7 day cruise for 2014. I didn't see mention of payment in full at time of booking. (Although I'm sure the entrance in the free cruise drawing wouldn't be valid until payment in full has been made).

Host Dan

Archived