Rhapsody out of Galveston 09/04/05

Jen & Kim

I like the ship. Has a nice layout and the crew was very nice. We had a tiny closet of a stateroom as it was last minute thing.

We will be in Alaska on RSVP during your cruisel.

Nope...this will be our first cruise on Royal Caribbean and my first cruise ever. My partner is from Florida and has sailed several times on Carnival.

I'm can't wait!!!

We are going to be in an aft junior suite. Have you ever stayed in one of those???

Hi Jen & Kim:

We have stayed in a Junior Suite, but not aft. Actually, we are in a JS on this cruise. You are going to like it. I've heard nothing but great remarks about those particular cabins on the Rhapsody.

Do you all have anything planned for the Port of Calls?

We went to Sandals in Ocho Rios this past May on the Rhapsody and it was great, however we will not go back there on this cruise. We really don't have anything planned for Jamaica this time. In Grand Cayman, we will probably be at Seven Mile Beach. We've done the Stingrays and the other excursions. In Cozumel, we are meeting up with a friend of ours who lives in Cancun. He is meeting us in Cozumel and we will most likely be at Nachi Cocom Beach.

If you have any questions about the ship or the shows or anything in regards to this cruise, don't hesitate to ask.

Fausto

Thanks for the info. I think we'll really like it back there from what I've read on these boards.

We are going on a tour with Peat Taylor in Jamaica. Dunns River Falls, maybe tubing, Fern Gully, and then be dropped off at Margaritaville to relax for a bit.

In Cayman we are going to Stingray City with Moby Dick and then to Seven Mile Beach (probably Sea Grape Beach).

In Cozumel we are going to snorkel on our own at Dzul Ha and then to Nachi-Cocum for the all-inclusive drinks and buffet.

I don't want to plan too much to do because we want to spend a lot of time relaxing on the beach. I've only been in the gulf so I'm looking forward to seeing blue water for the first time.

Is there anything you would recommend beyond this?

Hi Jen & Kim:

You all have it pretty much covered.

Dunns Falls and the Fern Gully were my favorites in Jamaica. I forgot about Margaritaville in Ocho Rios, we'll probably be there this time.

The Stingray tour is a lot of fun but be prepared for the crowds. The prices in Cayman are also a little high....you don't bargain in Cayman.

Cozumel is my favorite port of call. The water, in my opinion, is so much more beautiful than in Cayman and Jamaica. I saw more species of fish while snorkeling in Cozumel vs. snorkeling in Cayman. You all made the right choice in saving the snorkeling for Cozumel.

Ahhh, just think, in about 2 months, we'll be cruising on the Rhapsody.

Fausto

I know!!! I can't wait. My partner (Kim) thinks I'm a little obsessed...she's probably right.

Looks like we'll be at a lot of the same places.

I looked at the cruise calculator website and it looks like we'll be the only ship in port in Jamaica and only one other ship (Carnival Valor) will be with us in Cayman and Cozumel (and they'll be 2 hours behind us in both ports). Hopefully that means it won't be so crowded.

I did want to ask you about dinner seating. At first we picked a small table and then decided to change to a large table due to the fear we might get stuck with people who don't like people like us. Did we make the right decision? What is your reccommendation? We're not too concerned with it...most of our friends are straight, we just want to try to minimize any negativity.

Thanks for all your help.

Jen

Jen:

The people who cruise on the Rhapsody are the nicest you will ever find on a cruise ship. This is the reason the crew members love this ship, which is why she is considered the friendliest ship in their fleet as well as in Texas.

We have never had problems in the dining room. One time, we arrived at our assigned table on the first night of the cruise and it was dead silent. Everyone was just sitting there, staring at eachother. It turns out that a gay couple(2 guys) were sitting there as well and when my partner and I showed up, we ended up breaking the ice and it turned out well. Later that night, the gay couple at our table came up to us and thanked us for saving them.

We have been assigned small and large tables. I prefer the larger tables because there are more people to talk with. The smaller tables are too cozy for a straight and gay couple to share. We definitely prefer the larger tables.

If you would like, you all are more than welcomed to sit with us at our table...it is just me and my partner. We are assigned a large table, however it is for 1st seating(6:00pm). We usually do the second seating(8:30pm) and prefer upstairs but second seating was already full, so they put us in first seating. Are you all in second seating? If so, then maybe we can switch from first to second and be at your table instead?

Has Kim ever sailed on Royal Caribbean?

And in case you didn't realize this, most of the crew members are gay or bi, so you will never have problems with them. You can rest assured that we will not be the only gays on the cruise. Wouldn't it be funny if our table was all gay? Including the waiter?

You are truly going to have a good time. There is no other vacation on earth that can match this one. With this cruise being your first one, I am happy and excited for you.

Fausto

We are also in first seating and would love to join you at dinner. How would we go about arranging that? We thought about trying to move to late seating but we are used to eating around 5:30 or 6:00 and didn't think we could wait until after 8:00 to eat.

Kim has never sailed on RC. She has sailed with Carnival, but only short cruises and always with friends...not girlfriends.

I'm glad to know we won't run into any problems with the crew. We talked to another lesbian couple we know who cruise Disney with their kids every year and they said the same thing about most of the crew being gay. They also said Disney is EXTREMELY gay friendly.

Thanks for all your help and the offer to sit together.

Jen

Jen:

The best way to arrange the seating is by giving your travel agent my booking number, and tell him/her that you want to sit with these people. Your TA will cross reference the booking numbers and put us all at the same table. Since we are all staying on Deck 8, we will most likely be upstairs in the dining room.

Here is my email address: conchusnes@aol.com

I don't like to post my booking number here, due to security reasons.

Email me and I'll send you my booking number. Or we can do it vice-versa if you wish. You can send me your booking number and I'll set it up. Which ever is fine with me.

Whew!! Now isn't that better? Now you don't have to worry about negative homophobic people at our table. The large tables seat 6-8. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Fausto

If you are flying to Houston Hobby it's very easy to make the limo connection to Galveston. The limo desk is right near the baggage claim, one of our easiest transfers to a ship.

That is a wonderful itinerary for your first cruise. I would reccommend a book to read and it's called something like "The Best Little Cruise Book" and is written by a former cruise director.

Have fun on your cruise.

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Was just itching to go on another cruise and was looking at the same week you guys are sailing. I've been on The Rhapsody twice now and have loved it. Had a Grand Suite the first time when I sailed by myself and last year my ex-partner and I decided to go big and did one of the 5 Owners Suites...AWESOME! Here is the review I wrote if you're interested:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=2638

Having been on the Rhapsody (with Scotty & ex)....we'll all agree it was a swell time. Partner and I did the same cruise 6 weeks prior. We just HAD to make sure the good time wasn't fluke. Key West was just a trampy as I had hoped it would be. Swimming with the Rays in Grand Cayman was a blast. Next Feb we're booked on the Tahitian Princess for 10 days. Can't seem to hook up with anyone else going. Would like any info about the French Poly region if any of you have visited. (Take care Scotty.......try a different cruise ?!?!?)

Steven

Archived