email from Royal Caribbean

Not arguing numbers, but these are $85 billion in reductions to previously budgeted increases in spending on these programs. After these "cuts " take effect, each of those programs that you referenced will be spending significantly more this year than they did last year. The true impact will (or rather should) not create a negative impact until the "out " years. The impact we are seeing is manufactured, and intended solely to cause political pain.

I know that's the latest claim from certain quarters, but it's just silly. I work for a contractor at a large Federal site in the South. This site's FY2013 budget is taking a $100 million hit from the sequestration cuts. That's $100 million worth of work they were going to do between now and September 30 of this year that they are now not going to have the money to do. They hired people to do that work, and they no longer have the money to pay them as promised.

Two thousand of us were cut back to four-day weeks beginning this past Monday - because there is no longer enough money coming in to pay us for five days. Maybe that 20% pay cut is just in my imagination? Others will soon be furloughed indefinitely because the programs they work on will be temporarily shut down.

Federal services at US ports are being similarly curtailed to the new lower level of funding. Fewer people will be there to do the work or the people who are there will be working fewer hours. That will impact the level of service at US ports just as it is impacting the work we can get done at the site where I work. And BTW, heard on the news yesterday that a nearby small regional airport is losing its air traffic controllers.

Real money. Real cuts. Happening today.

What time are the actual cabins ready these days, given the delayed embarkation process? The last time on Allure (Dec 2011) and Oasis (Sept 2010), the cabins weren't ready until 1:30 or 2pm. We got a chance to eat, but we don't pack lightly (as hard as we may try), so that was a lot of big carry-on baggage to haul around until the cabins are ready. Plus, we have a 4 year old and will be traveling with a nice family who has 3 young kids...

Cabins are still ready at 1pm... even with the delayed departure. Past guests are still out of their cabins and out of most public areas with the same amount of time to clean up and prepare the cabins for the next guests. So, unless your ship is delayed for other reasons ( like a full clean up due to virus) you should not have a problem getting to your cabin after 1pm when you embark.

Im hoping to post a " live" thread " boarding and debarking Allure " post sequester" tomorrow and next Sunday. My iPhone will have to be able to work in the terminal building ( sometimes they don't like concrete;)) and I will have to be allowed to use it, not admonished to put it away. I'm hoping to post at each step so people will have an idea how one persons journey through goes. Fingers crossed we get on without any trouble:D

US Park Service: Has advised each locale to be sure the cuts they implement have maximum impact on the public.

Dept. of Justice: Spent $100,000,000 on private jet travel last year...stand in long lines at disembarkation.

This is not politics...this is fact. and blame goes to anyone getting a check from Uncle Sam, because WE(as in all of us) elected these folks....left, right center, or haven't got a clue (the majority of Wash DC).

US Park Service: Has advised each locale to be sure the cuts they implement have maximum impact on the public.

Dept. of Justice: Spent $100,000,000 on private jet travel last year...stand in long lines at disembarkation.

This is not politics...this is fact. and blame goes to anyone getting a check from Uncle Sam, because WE(as in all of us) elected these folks....left, right center, or haven't got a clue (the majority of Wash DC).

We elected them to do a JOB they are PAID to do. I don't know about you, but when I don't do MY job, no one else gets the blame but me (not even the man/woman who hired me). So please don't blame me for those "who haven't got a clue" not doing THEIR job.

We also left Oasis this morning. Choose the walk off option and left our cabin at 6:15 am. We were checked in, passed through security and sitting at the gate by 7:06 am waiting for our 10:00 am flight.

Are you operating on reduced staff, or are people working OT to cover the shortages?

I'm not the person you're asking, but I'm a controller as well. We'll be working short. They made it clear that there will be no overtime to cover furloughs (it would sort of defeat the purpose of the "money-saving" furloughs).

Friends who traveled over the Easter holiday reported some "slowdowns" in the airports they used. They asked several airport employees how the "budget cuts" were affecting them...one answered he was annoyed about no overtime. And if he wasn't getting any overtime he would be moving much slower and didn't much care about passengers who were trying to make flights.:(

I agree for the most part that much of this has been orchestrated for political purposes.:cool:

The "slowdowns" are not because they can not get overtime, it is because there is no one to back fill when they go on vacation. If a particular airport is allocated 20 personnel, and 3 go on vacation, then 3 others would be able to back fill them (overtime). Since this is no longer an option, and the personnel take the vacation, and then furloughs kick in (government telling employees they MUST take 1 day per week leave-without-pay), another 2 -3 employees can NOT show up - they are then down 5-6 employees and unable to fill their spots with overtime positions.

While 1.2 million federal employees fall into this category (being forced to take 22 days leave without pay, 8 hours per week, until September) the average person is not effected - until it is an inconvenience for them.

Motivation plays a big part of all work forces. Taking a 20% pay cut for many is not a motivation to work harder to cover down on politicians inability to perform their jobs. The workers will continue to work at a respectable pace consistent with their job descriptions. If you want to complain, write your Congressman and Senators.

http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm?OrderBy=state&Sort=ASC

After all, they will not be taking the 22 furlough days nor a 20% pay cut... This is just the beginning, as National Parks will be un-staffed, tours, agencies, organizations, air shows, parades, fire work displays, and many other events that people take for granted...

Be happy you can go on vacation, as these employees are worrying about the big pay cut they have to take to assist politicians pass their self interest budgets.

Okay, no more political talk on a fun board!

Archived