Public transportation or cab in Seattle?

J.A.H.

I've heard that there is a tram or some sort of transportation from the airport in Seattle to the downtown area. Just wondering if this is worth it or a hassle. We will have several pieces of luggage and 2 of them are large and heavy.

There is light rail from the airport to downtown. Depending on where your hotel is, it can be super convenient (plus it's much chepaer than a cab), or you can end up with a long walk from the stations downtown to your hotel. Our light rail system is called Link and unfortunately, it's extremely poorly signed at the airport itself, but basically once you have your luggage, go upstairs, and across a sky bridge to the parking garage, then take a left and just keep walking until you get to the station.

Last year, we stayed near the airport and used the Link train to travel to and from the city . It was very convenient and a much better alternative to using a cab. It also enabled us to use Princess transfers easily.

A couple of years ago we took Link from SeaTac to our hotel. The train is very nice and inexpensive. But, as others have stated, you need to find one near the stations. Our hotel was a couple of blocks. Not that far, but dragging luggage it gets heavy quick.

The signage isn't the best but someone did a nice little video on walking from Baggage Claim to the Link. Might want to give it a look.

And, here is a nice write-up on Trip Advisor about the different transportation available.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60878-s301/Seattle:Washington:Arriving.And.Departing.html

Never travel with more luggage than you can drag along for at least a mile. I am a total fashionista who absolutely needs 6 or 7 pair of shoes (walking, dancing, gym, etc.) for a week on a ship, but I can make it happen in a carry on and half a checked bag, and still have way more than I need. Get creative. Fortunately, DH pulls the checked bag.

Once you learn to pack right, travel and transportation become so much less complicated and public transportation becomes a breeze in cities like San Francisco, Rome, Vancouver, and Seattle. Of course, there will always be cities like London, New York and Los Angeles where you have to resort to shuttles or taxis, but learning to pack light makes travel so much more fun.

When we stayed over in Seattle prior to our cruise, our hotel offered "free airport shuttle" (of course we tipped the driver). On the morning of the cruise, we used the shuttle once again to the airport to get with the Princess transfers (it was very reasonable). The shuttle driver took us right to the door, we met the Princess reps, gave them our luggage and waited for the transfer. After the cruise, we sent the luggage EZ-Check, took a towncar (pre arranged through Already There) and was soon at the airport. Did not have to bother with the luggage until our home airport in Charlotte.

We took the local bus downtown, then walked 2 blocks to our hotel. I believe it was $1.25 per person.We travel with roller bags we can handle. If you can't hande your own luggage, take a cab. Like PunkiC stated, pack light, it makes your life easier to get around.

Thanks everyone, for all of the help and advice. I LOVE these boards!:D

I am on a mission to learn to pack light. I always take about 10 times as much stuff as I need and end up stressing like crazy over whether I've left anything out, plus hauling it all around. I think it is a sickness! Do they have support groups for people like me? ("Hello, my name is Julie, and I am an over-packer") :)

Archived