MOMBASA Eliminated from Princess itinerary

arlenemilt

Just heard that Princess has eliminated port of Mombasa from their August 11th Pacific Princess cruise (Bangkok to Cape Town). Evidentally our State Dept. has put out a new alert for Kenya. I'm on that cruise and had been looking forward to my first safari. Safety first.

Arlene

Hi Karen....

2007 is a long way off; so much can change. I hope this won't be like Egypt. The first time we couldn't go was in 1990 and then when all hell broke loose in the Middle East in 2000, we had to cancel our Egypt/Jordan trip at that time too. :( When the U.S. says don't go........we listen! :)

Arlene

Arlene, sorry to hear that the port was cancelled. I had that happen to me several years ago on an Eastern Med cruise (Rome to Egypt to Israel to Athens with other ports) where Israel was eliminated about four months before sailing due to State Dept. warnings. We went to Istanbul for two days instead and got a $500/cabin rebate. I *loved* Istanbul -- this was one of the best cruises/itineraries I've been on.

Just heard that Princess has eliminated port of Mombasa from their August 11th Pacific Princess cruise (Bangkok to Cape Town). Evidentally our State Dept. has put out a new alert for Kenya. I'm on that cruise and had been looking forward to my first safari. Safety first.

Arlene

How disappointing. For us that would result in not going. Are they adding another port where a safari would be an option?

We were thinking of doing the fall trip to Egypt but figure with the problems there it would be doubtful we'd make those ports. Will be interesting to see if in our lifetime these mentioned parts of the world open up.

I agree safety first!

Forgot to mention that Tanzania is out too. I think we're getting a five dollar refund. LOL

At any rate, these ports are part of our 46 day journey, so cancellation is out of the question. We leave in 5 1/2 weeks. For what it's worth, we've already booked the Pacific Princess for 2007 and these ports are part of that itinerary too. As I previously told Karen, a lot can change in 21 months.

Arlene

P.S. Substitutions are Mauritius, Reunion Island and Richards Bay

Arlene

Both of your cruises on the Pacific Princess sound wonderful. Can you tell me a little about the ship. We are going on the Amazon River Cruise in 2007. Would love some information about the mini suites if you have any.

Dorie

Wow what a shame. I just read today where Kenya said they have gotten rid of the pochers in Tasavo (East) Nat. Park. Ah that brings back memories. It was a really hot day but we got so see many animals. It was fun, and I would do it again in a flash.

Sorry to hear about the canceled ports

Really sorry to hear about the change of ports. It must have to do with the port city itself. We were in Kenya and Tanzania for 2 weeks in Jan. and even though there was a travel advisory (there always is!!) we never felt anything but welcome. I wouldn't walk around Nairobi alone but once you are on safari, it is a whole different environment.

Whatever ports you go to instead, have a wonderful time!!!!

Arlene

Both of your cruises on the Pacific Princess sound wonderful. Can you tell me a little about the ship. We are going on the Amazon River Cruise in 2007. Would love some information about the mini suites if you have any.

Dorie

The Pacific Princess minis are almost twice the size of the balcony cabins, so if the price differential is not too exorbitant..........go for it! We spent 36 days on her last year, 46 days coming up next month and we've booked 53 days on her for 2007. The Pacific is so small that it becomes personal; like family. The staff interacts with you on a different level. And, you get "from here to there" almost instantaneously. We love the big ships (just took a 14 day transatlantic on the Star in May) because there's lots more to do, but something about that little ship has gotten us hooked.

Arlene

The Pacific Princess minis are almost twice the size of the balcony cabins, so if the price differential is not too exorbitant..........go for it! We spent 36 days on her last year, 46 days coming up next month and we've booked 53 days on her for 2007. The Pacific is so small that it becomes personal; like family. The staff interacts with you on a different level. And, you get "from here to there" almost instantaneously. We love the big ships (just took a 14 day transatlantic on the Star in May) because there's lots more to do, but something about that little ship has gotten us hooked.

Arlene

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a really nice ship. We haven't been on one this small but are really looking forward to it. We did book a mini. We have been on the "big" ones also but the Royal Princess was our favorite. We sailed 4 times on her.

Dorie

Mombasa unsafe? Here we go again, paranoid Americans. Furthermore, there is no travel advisory for Tanzania. In defense of the State Department, Nairobi is habitually unsafe, but that is one city in a medium sized country, and is where most problems are focused.

About two weeks ago a court in Mombasa set free the 4 people charged with destroying that hotel in Mombasa a while back. While one of them have since been picked up for the Americans there might still be a big worry about docking there. As far as Zanzibar it most likely made no sence to sail all that way and return to the other Islands. One other change not mentioned is that we now arrive in Durban at 8AM instead of noon. Now I will have the morning free in Durban before I need to get to the Airport for a 6:15 flight to Cape Town.

Mombasa unsafe? Here we go again, paranoid Americans. Furthermore, there is no travel advisory for Tanzania. In defense of the State Department, Nairobi is habitually unsafe, but that is one city in a medium sized country, and is where most problems are focused.

My error on original post. Meant to say Zanzibar, not Tanzania. As for paranoia, it's not mine. I'm very willing to stop in Kenya; Princess isn't.

Arlene

Just got the letter from my TA from Princess about the changes. Now what to do with the $4.62.

I have never been afraid to go anywhere. I have been to many places that there are warnings for. Last year we went through the Suez Canal. However when a Travel Warning is listed the lines have to pay attention as they find that the Ins. Comp. have the final say as they withdraw the ins. for that port. All in all A great trip.

Archived