Tipping on Excursions -- WWYD?

No this is stupid we have to reshop for everything. We're getting there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

Wow! I thought I was responding to a text from my wife and ended up posting it here. Sorry everyone! Darn iPhone

I tip ten percent of the tour price to each the driver and guide if there are both. I wish tipping were included, but understand service is sometimes a lot better when they are working for tips, sad, but sometimes true.

We usually carry lots of ones for tips, but in Jamaica there were so many people with hands out requesting tips, that by the time we got back to the ship, we were all out of tip money. I felt a bit sorry for the guide, but she should have warned us about the "gifts for tips."

Isn't this against the law!

It is legal. We are on contract for a service. So we're paid a flat rate whether the tour takes four hours or eight. Normally from the time I get my bus assignment until I drop off the keys I work about six hours to conduct a tour. (That includes pick ups and drop offs at local hotels.) I'd have to get it under five hours to earn more than minimum. Tips make it worthwhile. Without them I would not do the job.

I come from a different background so I don't tip on excursions. I expect the wages to be paid from the cost of the excursion. Where I come from that's how it's done.

Are the tour guides poorly paid like USA waitresses and bartenders?

It is true the british and europeans in general are very poor tippers.:mad: The people on the islands who do the excursions are not even paid minimum wage to western standards:(

Loosen up your purse strings and give a little for a change. Stop being such a cheap skate. If you can afford to Cruise , you can afford to Tip.:eek::eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect that those of us who have worked for tips at any point in their lives are the ones most likely to tip generously.

The only time I resent tipping is when I'm placed in a position where the "tippee" is basically demanding the "tipper" to fork over some cash. Notable moments come to mind like the guide at Dunn's River Falls who accepted his tip from me and then demanded that I also "remember Wilson!" I think Wilson might have been the nearby guide who offered to take a picture of my DD and I partway through the climb, but it didn't seem very "memorable" to me.

Archived