Some dining questions

POF

Hi new cruiser, will be on Freedom of the seas in July.

Dining times - we went with early dining which I think is 5:30, we are not late night folks - we definitely want to see the evening shows - so I am assuming that we would generally be done with dinner in order to see them, correct ? I believe that the next dining time is 8:00

Shared tables - we like to meet new folks, enjoy people of all types - so no real concerns there. Anyway I figure if I really hate my tablemates - we will ask to be moved. BUT - we are typically on time, and like to eat and be done with it. I am not sure that I would want to wait 20 minutes for tablemates to show up. I also would not like a 3 hour dinner. Is there a polite way to inform the wait staff that we like to move the meal along ?

I really like to eat at a sit down - but hate waiting a long long time between courses.

My kids are not dessert eaters - actually neither are DH and I - just not into sweets. Is it OK to leave before dessert is served - even with other people at the table ?

Am I a complete heathen ? DH and I do go out for fine dining, but like to be on the go... which is one of the reasons we have always hesitated on a cruise. Any suggestons .....

Dining times - we went with early dining which I think is 5:30, we are not late night folks - we definitely want to see the evening shows - so I am assuming that we would generally be done with dinner in order to see them, correct ? I believe that the next dining time is 8:00

Shared tables - we like to meet new folks, enjoy people of all types - so no real concerns there. Anyway I figure if I really hate my tablemates - we will ask to be moved. BUT - we are typically on time, and like to eat and be done with it. I am not sure that I would want to wait 20 minutes for tablemates to show up. I also would not like a 3 hour dinner. Is there a polite way to inform the wait staff that we like to move the meal along ?

I really like to eat at a sit down - but hate waiting a long long time between courses.

My kids are not dessert eaters - actually neither are DH and I - just not into sweets. Is it OK to leave before dessert is served - even with other people at the table ?

Am I a complete heathen ? DH and I do go out for fine dining, but like to be on the go... which is one of the reasons we have always hesitated on a cruise. Any suggestons .....

With the early dining time, you will be done with dinner before the shows. The shows are timed to the two main seating times.

Just let the waiter know that you are not interested in dessert and will leave after the entrees.

You might want to consider the option of doing My Time Dining. You could still eat at the same time, but then you wouldn't have to wait on others for your dinner to start.

We had a family at our table that tended to be less than prompt for dinner. The waiters did not wait for them. Those who showed up on time got menus right away and put in their orders. If/when the others showed up, they would get served, but would be behind the rest of the table. It does make it harder on the servers, though, so do try to be on time, if you have one of the set dining times. (Sounds like that will be your plan, anyway.) You will probably be done with dinner in about 1 1/2 or less, if you skip dessert.

I would try to get a two-top table. I hate making small talk with strangers at a large table so I think that would be the way to go.

Where would they put their kids?

I think what pittnh wrote can be translated as, I didn't really read your post about liking to meet other people or having children. I'm just going to assume you're just like me, and the best thing for you would be a two-top table. :p

I think what pittnh wrote can be translated as, I didn't really read your post about liking to meet other people or having children. I'm just going to assume you're just like me, and the best thing for you would be a two-top table. :p

That's how I read it also.

As for dessert. We have stopped staying for it and I wonder myself if we are being rude and should go to MTD if we want to skip it. We do like dinning with others so don't want to do MTD. I sound conflicted huh? Has anyone been at a table with others that always skipped out on dessert and did it bother you? Would really like to know the answer to this one, it's been worrying me.

Our other table mates were a Diamond Plus couple, and they typically skipped dessert. I wasn't bothered by it. They did stay for dessert once or twice, but most nights they left about the time the dessert menus came out.

As for dessert. We have stopped staying for it and I wonder myself if we are being rude and should go to MTD if we want to skip it. We do like dinning with others so don't want to do MTD. I sound conflicted huh? Has anyone been at a table with others that always skipped out on dessert and did it bother you? Would really like to know the answer to this one, it's been worrying me.

I would just say excuse us but we always skip dessert. If they think you are rude change tables. I myself really like dessert so think I may ask if I can have yours, we would then be best friends. But really, I would just excuse yourself. This is your cruise, enjoy it.

Our other table mates were a Diamond Plus couple, and they typically skipped dessert. I wasn't bothered by it. They did stay for dessert once or twice, but most nights they left about the time the dessert menus came out.

It wasn't us was it?:D Seriously, thanks everyone for the replies. I don't know why but it's been bothering me and I was actually telling the DW maybe we need to switch if we aren't going to do dessert. I actually wouldn't mind dessert, but on the last cruise (two weeks) I gained 10 lbs without dessert or bread. I've got a cruise that's 2 1/2 months coming up and well, you do the math.:eek:

I am not bothered when tablemates skip dessert; just excuse yourself and let the waiters know.

To address the OP, I like the long formal dining in general and would be uncomfortable if tablemates wanted the other courses rushed. If people are late (which we never are) I don't think the others should have to wait, but please don't make tablemates feel they should rush to keep up with a fast pace. Not judging as everyone appreciates different things, but I would be very disappointed if I was at your table. Seems pointless to sit with others if you are going to rush to get out of there.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Archived