Greatest Alaskan Souvenirs

joeandsue

There's a store on Creek Street in Ketchikan that sells small totem poles. I wanted one the first time we went to Alaska, but we decided to wait to see if we found something better. The price kept getting higher and higher as we went further north.

I found this to be true when we went in 2003. Found a great photo album with ALASKA on the front, some Christmas ornaments and sent salmon home to my DD/SIL. Plan on doing that again this time.

The fleece sounds like a great idea. DH is not coming on this trip so that would be the best gift for him. You have to be so careful in planning your souvenir purchases so that you don't overpack the luggage. Sure hate paying those overcharges!

Sue

I would suggest buying something authentic that helps support the Alaskan Economy. So look for artists and local craftsman before you would buy anything from a mainstream tourist store. And check those stores for the items, many from Victoria to Juneau will be made in Korea or China.

Remember if you are bringing back an ulu that is has to be carried in your packed luggage an not as part of your carry on. We saw a whole bunch of them being confiscated at the TSA in Vancouver.

Best souvenirs:

The long fronds of baleen that are standing in a floor vase in my living room. Mine are a little over 7 feet tall.

And the qivuit hand knitted hat from the under fur of the muskox.

Two VERY Alaskan products you won't find many other places in the world. And you will never see "made in China" on these two.

Best souvenirs:

The long fronds of baleen that are standing in a floor vase in my living room. Mine are a little over 7 feet tall.

And the qivuit hand knitted hat from the under fur of the muskox.

Two VERY Alaskan products you won't find many other places in the world. And you will never see "made in China" on these two.

How did you get 7 foot fronds home??? Wow!

Bought an ULU knife set - one of the good ones made in Alaska not the Chinese replica - but hardly ever use it. Still looks nice, though. Also bought a nice reversible heavy jacket; fleece on one side, nylon on the other. Not many days I can wear it here in So. Cal as it keeps you VERY warm. Best item I bought was some fish rub from the TAKU store in Juneau. Wish I had bought more. Used it up and enjoyed it more that the Ulu or the jacket.

How did you get 7 foot fronds home??? Wow!

I have purchased baleen three times-first time from a store in Homer and I had them ship it (too darn expensive-cost almost as much to ship as the baleen). The second time-I sent it back to the USA in one of my semi truck sleepers when we ship Alaska fish. THIS was a bad idea because I should have had more paperwork and it could have been confiscated in Canada but it wasn't thankfully. Third time-I wrapped it carefully in cross country ski boxes and brought it home on the plane with me. Paid the excess luggage fee for sports equipment-about $100.

LOL, sorry tulsacubfan!! We used to do the Christmas ornaments too, but we'd need another tree to hold more, so stopped doing the ornaments. I don't drink coffee, so mugs would be meaningless, but you've got me curious about the crosses. That sounds very neat! Are they hard to find?

Not usually. But, we do go to Mass wherever we are and often there is a gift shop (in tourist cities) with the church. We don't usually find in souvenier shops....more in the church gift shops or gift shops for "locals."

The Tongas stores in Ketchikan (3 of them) have a deal where you shop all three, then leave your goods at your last stop and they will ship them home for you at about $20. This is where we buy tshirts and fleeces for the grands, good fish oil pills, photo albums, and more. You won't find the "good" artist stuff but 6 year olds don't care. LOL. Also, Ray Troll store on Creek Street has very unique fishing tshirts. My sons love them. Ain't no nookie like my chinookie. Baitfull dead. Etc. Russian gift shop (can't remember name) in Skagway downtown has beautiful stuff.

Lib

I also have an Ulu. Be aware that they must be checked in your luggage when flying. So those of you only doing carryon will either have to skip buying one, or ship it home.

My favorite though is the $20 fleece. Wear it all winter long. Love it every time I put it on.

Did you buy the fleece on the ship or off the ship

Also, Ray Troll store on Creek Street has very unique fishing tshirts. My sons love them. Ain't no nookie like my chinookie. Baitfull dead. Etc.

I agree! I wanted to get one for my son (16) last year because he likes "punny" stuff like that. It was hard to find one he'd appreciate that would be acceptable to wear to school. :eek: He ended up with "Bass Ackwards". :p

Thank you all so much ! I have a notebook and I am taking notes on all the wonderful suggestions.

I love the thought of going to the Medical Center and it will be a must on our trip, and being a nurse I love to walk the halls and observe in other hospitals and of course the gift shops !

The suggestion of shipping from our last shop in Ketchiken will be used.

Someone asked for the ulu link , here is it and they may have changed their free shipping policy but I see it is there for the month of April with a $50 purchase, so I plan to get my order in and have them shipped her at home, really will the kids care that I get their ulu knifes before I even leave. But we still plan on dropping by the Ulu store.

http://ulu.com/

Still taking notes, I remember reading something about the boy scouts selling stones or something at one port ? anyone know anything about that ?:)

The usual shirts & some hematite jewelry-inexpensive, but different. My pictures are my favorite keepsakes! For a downright CHEAP souvenir that you can use daily, I try to pick up a reusable shopping bag at a local grocery store. They take up almost no room in luggage, come in handy while traveling, and can be used to carry groceries once you get home. I have them from stores from Alaska to Florida & they have been conversation starters with several cashiers here in the lower 48! I guess I just like being reminded of the places I've traveled while doing something as mundane as grocery shopping!

That's great news, geekypenguin! We've traveled places where we could find NONE, so I'm glad to hear they are available somewhere in Alaska ports :)

Thank you!

We are travelling at the end of May/early June, so if you'd like I'd be happy to try and make note of where we see them this time.

We are travelling at the end of May/early June, so if you'd like I'd be happy to try and make note of where we see them this time.

Kathleen - that would be awesome!! We are going to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria. Are those ports you will be visiting too? If so, I'd love to know where you saw the wine glasses :)

I always get Mammoth Tusk Ivory Jewelry. It is usually made by a local artisan. Pendants and earrings come in all price ranges.

I also love my ulu with the caribou antler handle (about $50 and really authentic, but you can pay much more if it is hand carved) -wooden handles are much cheaper. I use this knife daily - it's great for chopping and cutting up meat.

We also buy the fleece lined rain coats for $20 a great deal.

And the best souvenir of all - Great Photos! - with Alaska it is pretty hard to go wrong there.

I buy Christmas ornaments at each port. I tried to find ornaments that had a design on them related to the excursion at that port or something we saw. For example, after a whale watching excursion I found an ornament with a whale on it, in Juneau we saw eagles everywhere so I bought an ornament with eagles painted on it. I write the date and places on the bottom of the ornaments. Every year it's so much fun to pull out my ornaments from years of memories from vacations and road trips!

This post has me even more excited for my trip next month!!

Are Ulu knives available all over Alaska? We won't be traveling to Anchorage.

I'm taking notes...

They are EVERWHERE. They seem to be a featured item of nearly every gift shop. There are varying qualities from cheap Chinese knock offs (I wouldn't recommend) to very expensive and ornate sets made by Alaskans. I bought one in the middle (made in Alaska); cost about $35 or $40 with my discount coupon which you will find all over the place.

Anyone know if there are native american type woven or beaded jackets/fleeces available anywhere in the 3 stopover towns when we dock, my DW loves brightly coloured ornamental decorated NA type clothing,

We found a great mom and pop clothing/gift store in Juneau called Northern Lights Clothing Co. They are located on Franklin St just a few doors north of the Red Dog Saloon (local restaurant/pub right in the center of town across from the cruise ship docks). They have clothing and souvenirs a cut above all the corporate gift and trinket shops. I think they will have clothing like your wife is looking for.

T

Someone asked for the ulu link , here is it

http://ulu.com/

I'm not sure that's the right place. No where on there does it say that their Ulus are made in Alaska, and they only have generic contact info.

When I think of Ulus, I think of the Ulu factory in Anchorage:

http://www.theulufactory.com/

Edit: I do see now where they say they are made in Anchorage... My bad.

As mentioned, watch for the Made in Alaska logo to ensure you are getting the real stuff.

If you make it to Portage Lake as part of your trip, the Portage Lake Lodge has some really good stuff. The weekend market in Anchorage on 3rd Ave also has some booths with local stuff. You'll also find some shops in Talkeetna.

Edited by AKStafford

We found a great mom and pop clothing/gift store in Juneau called Northern Lights Clothing Co. They are located on Franklin St just a few doors north of the Red Dog Saloon (local restaurant/pub right in the center of town across from the cruise ship docks). They have clothing and souvenirs a cut above all the corporate gift and trinket shops. I think they will have clothing like your wife is looking for.

Many thanks, we will look out for that outlet when we get there. :)

Kathleen - that would be awesome!! We are going to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria. Are those ports you will be visiting too? If so, I'd love to know where you saw the wine glasses :)

We're going to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Hoonah. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. :)