Is it rude?

Is it rude to your fellow passengers to break the dress code?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Is it rude to your fellow passengers to break the dress code?

Linda, One would think, but I have my doubts that many actually read the contract at all.

How many times do we read where a port is missed and pax think they should be reimbursed? If you read carefully, the cruiselines all state they are only obligated to give you a ride on the ship, feed you and all else is subject to change. Cruise ships have problems, and though the company and ship staff don't want to anger anyone, stuff happens. I've even read where some cruiselines are starting to include language that they are not responsible for the guests disappointments and their emotional state.

As far as the suggested dress (I hate the term dress code, it reminds me of high school), I'll always dress according to the requests, many people just don't either give it much thought. Many people have no taste, or very different taste from our own or what we feel is appropriate. I actually think men have it so much easier, a tux or dark suit, tie, jacket and tie on semi formal, sport shirts with slacks on casual nights. We women have such a wide variation.

It is interesting to re-visit these older posts.

I'm not saying what is right or wrong, but I don't think it's as simple as "a line for everyone" with regard to dress.

I personally want 5 star luxury and treatment, but I don't want formal. I will not cruise if I have to dress formal and I won't go on a line like Carnival and I certainly won't be forced to eat in my room or do a buffet so I just won't go. To say there is soemthing for everyone is a little to easy in my opinion.

No flames please as I do believe in sticking to a dress code, but I don't think that there is necessarily a ship for everyone with that in mind. I was lucky I could afford Radisson CCC for Alaska, or I just would not have cruised but some people really want to go on a cruise, or they want a large kids program or for whatever reason I really don't think that there is a ship for everyone.

Saying that PAX will adhere to all rules set forth by the ship is all fine and dandy, but the ship still has to tell them they need to dress in formal clothing in advance and in advance of full payment in my opinion.

Honestly, if I booked a cruise and I was not told up front before I gave money as a deposit and certainly after I paid in full with no chance of a refund, if I didn't know about the formal, and I was not told in advance, and got it in final docs after final payment and I was refused entrance to any area of the ship, I would be calling my attorney. Not because I want to be rude to other people but because I think it's the cruise lines responsibility to tell people and to enforce that TAs tell people.

I also think there is an excuse for ignorance in this day and age. Not everyone has the internet and not everyone is a seasoned traveller.

I called a small INN the other day to book a room for a night. The website had one price and she gave me a slightly higher one, I said, why? she said because the one I gave you includes tax and gratuities. I said, oh? I just assumed it was plus tax and gratuitites always unless specifically stated, she said, you'd be surprised how many people yell at me becuase they expect it at the price on the web or whatever. So yes, there are people who just don't know if it's their first cruise or whatever if they were on a barefoot cruise maybe with no dress codes. I wouldn't even call them ignorant either, I would say they just didn't know and some people won't go around asking either as they would assume they have no reason to if they don't know about formal, they might just take what they would on any other vacation. I wouldn't go around asking. Also, I don't care if it's even just $20, some people may not want to spend that $20 on something they will never wear again. Some people really have to save every penny to enjoy a vacation, and not to spend extra money on clothing they will never use again. Especially a first time cruiser who may not enjoy it or get seasick and decide never to go again.

No flames please as I'm just stating my opinion, I'm not saying people should ignore dress codes, I just don't think they are rude if they do unless they are really flaunting it and laughing and joking about it then yes, but other than that no.

On land yes, they can just go to another place or whatever, but on a cruise, they can't just get of the ship and go.

Also I think many of the ladies here go on the cruise for the formal nights, that it's a big part of the vacation and I respect that, but that doesn't mean every happy cruiser does, so I can see where some might break the rules. I don't agree with it, but I don't think they are rude either in this case.

I would not want to ruin anyone's vacation because of my personal feelings on attire. I want everyone to be happy and healthy and enjoy their holidays.

I think that for most there is a general misunderstanding of formal night. I know 4 or 5 people who cruise about once a year. They cruise on the main lines (carnival RCC and princess, I think Holand too). Each one would use the computer to book/check on their reservations but not join a group like this. Each one has told me I am crazy for not doing formal nights. They insist that my husband would be fine in anything but jeans. They each tell me that slacks shirt/tie are acceptable. PLEASE don't tell me they are wrong, I KNOW they are wrong and I am not breaking dress code (I will not be at dinner those nights) But my point is that 5 different people, with at least 3-4 cruises each, really believe that shirt/tie combo is acceptable. I think it is safe to say that many cruisers have different ideas of formal night.

Depends on what you mean by rude. Does it keep you from enjoying your Cruise? Does it keep you from enjoying your Dinner?

What is more amazing is why people worry so much about what other people wear to Dinner. Get your food eat your food and move on. It is up to the Cruise line to enforce the dress code and decide what is allowed or not allowed for Dinner. If the Cruise lines allows a person dressed in Jeans in then it would not be rude or really anyones business except that person and the Cruise line.

Archived