Dress in the MDR

Calkacky

I will be taking my first cruise on the Triumph on June 17th.....or at least I hope I will. :D I've got my dress for the formal night, but have questions about the other 4 nights. On non-formal nights:

1.) Can I wear casual sundresses?

2.) Can I wear Yellow Box flip flops? As dressy as they are, I don't consider them beach flip flops, but I don't know if they'd be too casual.

Thanks for your thoughts!

~Amy

Sundresses are great - if going sleeveless, you might want to have a wrap or sweater as it can be cool.

I didn't know what yellow box flip flops were so I looked them up - I would call those more of a "sandal" than a flip flop, and they are perfectly fine for the DR with a sundress.

Hope that you enjoy your first cruise - prepare for the addiction! :p

I had to look them up too.

You may want to reconsider those.. especially in opened public areas where the floor is really slick. Seen too many people go down wearing the flip flops.

You may want to reconsider those.. especially in opened public areas where the floor is really slick. Seen too many people go down wearing the flip flops.

Second this! I've had a couple near disasters in flip flops on pool deck. It definitely gets slippery out there!

Thanks everyone!

I wear them all the time and everywhere....weather permitting. They must be made of something different than regular flip flops or the cruise shop decks are different than regular pool decks as I've never noticed feeling like I might slip in them when I walk on wet surfaces, even on non-cruise ship pool decks. Thanks for the warning though. I will still be wearing them :D as they are sooooo comfy and the only sandals/flip flops my feet can tolerate all day.

Michelle1836.....you should try them. I have a foot condition (plantar fasciitis) and they are the only sandal or flip flop I can wear all day and my feet don't hurt. They are that comfy. They aren't cheap as I'm sure you saw. Belk has a good selection and good sales on them. If you have one near you, stop and check them out. If not, you can order on line from them.

I have a pair of these too and was wondering about their traction. I just put them in my suitcase last night for our upcoming cruise. I will bookmark this thread and let you know how they worked out or how many times I busted my butt with them.

http://www.zappos.com/yellow-box-gateway-black?si1545343=&channel=4&mr:referralID=fba3fd77-a123-11e2-a969-001b2166c2c0

Thanks everyone!

I wear them all the time and everywhere....weather permitting. They must be made of something different than regular flip flops or the cruise shop decks are different than regular pool decks as I've never noticed feeling like I might slip in them when I walk on wet surfaces, even on non-cruise ship pool decks. Thanks for the warning though. I will still be wearing them :D as they are sooooo comfy and the only sandals/flip flops my feet can tolerate all day. .

cruise decks are made of wood. Highly polished wood. then you have the Marble tile floor of the lido deck that is very slippery from condensation building up on the floors since the doors are opening and closing all the time. This is where you see most of the accidents occurring. coz it doesnt look wet-- it looks all clean and shiny

Yes- cruise deck floors are NOTHING like pool decks at all.

I have a pair of these too and was wondering about their traction. I just put them in my suitcase last night for our upcoming cruise. I will bookmark this thread and let you know how they worked out or how many times I busted my butt with them.

http://www.zappos.com/yellow-box-gateway-black?si1545343=&channel=4&mr:referralID=fba3fd77-a123-11e2-a969-001b2166c2c0

Have fun on your cruise and yes, definitely let me know how it goes with those. Mine aren't that high, but I did consider getting that exact pair. Maybe I will. They'd be cute with my maxi dresses.

Thanks everyone!

I wear them all the time and everywhere....weather permitting. They must be made of something different than regular flip flops or the cruise shop decks are different than regular pool decks as I've never noticed feeling like I might slip in them when I walk on wet surfaces, even on non-cruise ship pool decks. Thanks for the warning though. I will still be wearing them :D as they are sooooo comfy and the only sandals/flip flops my feet can tolerate all day.

Michelle1836.....you should try them. I have a foot condition (plantar fasciitis) and they are the only sandal or flip flop I can wear all day and my feet don't hurt. They are that comfy. They aren't cheap as I'm sure you saw. Belk has a good selection and good sales on them. If you have one near you, stop and check them out. If not, you can order on line from them.

I also have plantar fasciitis and was wondering what sandal or flip flops would work. i just had surgery in January and was concerned. Thanks for the tip going to order a pair to try for my upcoming cruise.

I have several pairs of yellow box flip flops that are similar to the ones you are looking at. My right foot is full of pins & screws and tends to swell when I walk a lot. You will find that they are very comfortable & look great. If you wear them often, the tread is good for about a year.

As advised, do be careful on Lido if there are wet floors.

I also have plantar fasciitis and was wondering what sandal or flip flops would work. i just had surgery in January and was concerned. Thanks for the tip going to order a pair to try for my upcoming cruise.

They aren't cheap, but definitely are worth their weight in gold comfort-wise. I pretty much stretch my feet everyday and wear only Yellow Box when at all possible and can't believe how much better last summer was (the first year I wore them) compared to all the summer's before since developing this sometimes painful condition. Yours is obviously a lot worse than mine since you needed surgery, so I hope they work for you to. Get the lowest heeled ones. They seem to be the best for my plantar fasciitis. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Have fun on your cruise and yes, definitely let me know how it goes with those. Mine aren't that high, but I did consider getting that exact pair. Maybe I will. They'd be cute with my maxi dresses.

Just wanted to hop back on this thread to say that the shoes worked out just fine. The had plenty of traction on the outside decks and on the inside polished floors too. I love these shoes. I wore them with both may capris and sundresses and they were sooo comfortable.

:) Have fun on your cruise as well.

Archived