Cruise from Harwich?

Anyone done a cruise from Harwich, we live in northwest and fancy trying the Black watch, the only FO we have not done, what is it like to get to that port as we can see there is a sailing from there in the summer, public transport preferred method. Thanks

We have not gone from Harwich by public transport but did disembark there from a transatlantic cruise. we have frequently taken a Scandinavian ferry from Harwich.

Coming down from the North West you would need to go via London. Although you could do it by tube I would advise using a taxi for the Euston to Liverpool Street transfer with luggage. All told it takes about 4 and a half hours from Manchester.

The journey by road has much improved over the Years that we have been using the port.

Thanks but I realised after I posted that it wasnt Harwich at all but Newcastle, what a dumbo I am. now need the same question but Newcastle as port.

Again, I have not taken a cruise from Newcastle but have used it to take a Scandinavian ferry.

The terminal is actually at North Shields, 8 miles to the East of Newcastle.

There is a metro station at North Shields but most people coming by train take a. Taxi out of Necastle Station unless, as happened once with me, the Shipping Company lay on a bus from Newcastle station direct to the terminal.

There are direct and fairly frequent rail services to Newcastle from Manchester or Carlisle.

If you come across by car there is long stay parking available at the port.

We have cruised from Newcastle with Fred Olsen and there was nothing wrong with the Fred Olsen shuttle bus from the train station. It was a couple of years ago and I know you had to be booked on the shuttle bus, but I cannot remember if there was a charge. If so, I suspect it worked out cheaper than a taxi for the two of us, as we would have looked into that. We travelled by train from Liverpool and the train ticket costs varied a lot depending on what you booked. The direct ticket was a lot more expensive than a single to York and another single from York to Newcastle. On an earlier occasion, the train north and then cross country to Newcastle, (booked as a through ticket), was the best deal. You need to spend some time searching the trains about 3 months before travel (or just after that, depending on when the saver tickets are released). Those tickets were booked before we were 60, so we could not use senior railcards which are a boon.

The drive to Newcastle is a lot more pleasant than the one to Southampton. With both road or rail we would always stay overnight in Newcastle, rather than risk travelling on the day. There is a Holiday Inn Express fairly near Newcastle station. It is a very good extension to the holiday as Newcastle is a pleasant city.

Alternatively, you can usually book a direct coach journey to the port through the cruise company, (depending on where you are starting from), which would operate on the departure date. It would return from the port on disembarkation, so would be much quicker than going through Newcastle.

Barbara

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tring, we sailed out of Newcastle last September and are sailing again on June 18th. The cost for parking at the port is £9 per day through Fred, this goes on your onboard account (cost is usually £12 per day for ferry passengers). If you book your train 3 months in advance when tickets are first available they will be cheaper and it is worth investing in a senior railcard (if you are seniors). The cost of a taxi from Newcastle Central Station to the Port was £15 and our return journey was only £10. You may be able to share a taxi as you will see a queue outside the station and certainly when disembarking. Fred charges £19 return each and I think the first transfer is 1.00 p.m. so if you wish to arrive earlier it is beneficial to use a taxi. check prices for trains online as they do vary and you can chose the cheapest times to travel. Bobby67 and Carolyn:) Sorry this reply should be to trinitytrees !!

• 4 weeks later...

If you require any information concerning cruising from Newcastle please visit http://www.fredolsencruises.com/Before-you-cruise/Before-You-Cruise/Cruise-Departure-Ports/Cruises-from-Newcastle

Don't forget to like us on Facebook and share your cruise holiday experience http://www.facebook.com/fredolsencruiselines

Regards

FOCL

Archived