Cave Tubing question (diabetic)

Trainacomin

Received and email from Reggie of Regtours and it stated that if you are diabetic you can't do the cave tubing. Can anyone explain to me why this is? My BIL is insulin dependant and really wants to do the cave tubing. We've tubed other rivers so I can't see where the issue is.

Thanks!

Clint

Interesting....do they also exclude those with heart problems, pacemakers, artificial knees, etc???? I expect it is because they don't want a medical emergency, and perhaps they don't understand how much a person with type I diabetes can do physically when it is controlled. I'm kind of wondering how it came up,,,?

Su

Wow...if you're bringing along the appropriate supplies (glucose tabs, etc), and you have somebody there who can monitor you, I don't see why/how the tour operator can object.

Why would the tour operator have to know? .

My thought exactly, but if they specifically asked me if my son was diabetic , I don't think I could lie, (He is, and not too long ago spent three days hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back in what was at the bottom 120 degree heat, certainly not affected by the fact that he needed four shots of insulin a day). I also don't understand why it would make a difference, but it would be interesting to know why they have the restriction.

Su

The only thing I can think of is the possibility of scraping yourself on the rocks. Diabetics have a problem with healing....could that be the cause?

Either that, or perhaps they think the hike to the tubing area would be too strenuous and maybe they've had problems with diabetics not realizing how much exercise is involved and didn't regulate their insulin demands accordingly?

Archived