which side of ship is best??

ddsdoc

I was wondering if anyone could tell me which side of the ship is next to the pier when in port?? My DW and I are sailing on the Caribbean Princess 10/1 Eastern Cruise and we like to watch the ship pull into port and people disembark from our balcony if we do not have any early excursion. I've noticed on the photos posted that it appears that the starboard is next to the pier; if that is the case, we need to see about changing our room since we presently have a mini-suite on the Emerald port side. Any input would be greatly appreciated... :)

In former British sailing days, the "port" side was always the side to port (hence the name.) However, that's no longer true. It depends on the port, where the ship is docking, etc. In St. Maarten and St. Thomas, the ship's side to the dock/pier will most likely be the starboard side and you'll have a view of the dock area and people disembarking. If you're on the port side, you'll most likely see the beautiful scenery. I don't think it's worth changing the cabin since it's not guaranteed that the starboard side will be to the pier.

Archived