Explorer Spring Break Review - special diet edition

Thank you for the awesome review and pictures. My wife and I are taking her in 5 weeks to Bermuda and the Caribbean. We haven't been on the Explorer in almost 10 years - it was our first week long cruise and the one I blame for my addiction! In general how would you rate the upkeep on the ship? I had heard some not too flattering things from when she was in Asia.

You may get lucky, but don't count on it for March 11th. That's my DD's birthday, so I remember having a wide range of weather near NJ on that date.

Here a photo I shot returning to Cape Liberty aboard Explorer OTS on 2/26/10.

Not great quality, but note the ice built-up on balcony and the snow. The teardrop 9/11 memorial is what I was trying to shoot.

Jane

ry%3D480

YUCK! :eek: I hope it's springtime when we go next year or else we'll be spending alot of time in the Schooner bar

YUCK! :eek: I hope it's springtime when we go next year or else we'll be spending alot of time in the Schooner bar

The photo is from the morning we returned to Cape Liberty from our Valentines' Day 2010 cruise. The weather was perfect, except for the last 18 hours.

JANE

Thank you for the awesome review and pictures. My wife and I are taking her in 5 weeks to Bermuda and the Caribbean. We haven't been on the Explorer in almost 10 years - it was our first week long cruise and the one I blame for my addiction! In general how would you rate the upkeep on the ship? I had heard some not too flattering things from when she was in Asia.

Everything I saw was clean, it looks like they have replaced a lot of carpeting. While we were there they were working on replacing some wallpaper or something in the hallways and there were some areas where the carpeting was starting to show a little age, but nothing I would have really noticed except for something I overheard on our bus to Disney.

Someone sitting behind us was talking to family & friends and telling them how he was travelling on the ship but "no one knew who he was." And he said that he "did not know what everyone was talking about, the ship looked great to him, very clean, lots of things being replaced," etc. Apparently he works for the cruise line or something and was kind of scouting things out on the sly. I wasn't trying to eavesdrop, LOL, but he was talking pretty loudly and in the seat right behind me. Anyway, this made me really take a look at the ship while I was on board and I didn't notice anything too bad, seems like they have been doing a lot of work to her. But then again, I am not picky at all about that sort of thing and expect an older ship to have some older carpet, as long as it is clean I am happy.

Your pictures are wonderful! Thanks for posting.

Also, your children are lovely!

Eileen

Thank you, that is so sweet. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Outstanding pictures! We will be on The Explorer in 10 days for a 10 night cruise!!!!! So excited, have been counting down for a year! Our first RC cruise was in the 80's then didn't cruise again until 2000 and never went back to RC until now.

Marguerite

Outstanding pictures! We will be on The Explorer in 10 days for a 10 night cruise!!!!! So excited, have been counting down for a year! Our first RC cruise was in the 80's then didn't cruise again until 2000 and never went back to RC until now.

Marguerite

Have a good time. By then, the next blizzard will be a memory!