cruise insurance question

Bimmie Girl

We are booking a family cruise for Jan. 26 2014. My mother and step dad want to get a room along side of ours and adult grand kids now. The problem is, Step dad has stage 4 lung cancer and doing well, playing golf and all, but this is 9 months away. He wants to get travel insurance in case something happens. I want to know if we should go with Cruise line insurance or a third party? which is better? I was looking at one third party insurer and they off alot more coverage than I think the cruise line does. what are your thougts please?

I've always used insuremytrip - better coverage and less expensive.

Make sure preexisting conditions are covered, which should be ok as long as you buy the insurance right after you book the cruise.

I hope your stepdad is able to enjoy the cruise and life well after that.

I like third party better. Agree with above poster about insuremytrip there will be policies offered to cover pre existing conditions just look for that as you compare. My reason for preferring outside coverage is this:

Last feb 2012 we were in The Crown Princess that had to return early due to the Noro virus outbreak. Everyone with Princess insurance had to take what Princess offered, example fly home in Thursday instead of Saturday. We were able to stay in Fort Lauderdale and finish our vacation sticking to our originally scheduled flight on Saturday and were able to get reimbursed on hotel, meals and transportation under the trip interruption coverage. We were allowed 150.00 per day per person so this was more then enough coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure your Dad is fit to cruise the day you acquire medical insurance, that way he will be covered when you do go on the cruise. If he is in the hospital or receiving treatments right now that if he were to cruise the day you acquire medical insurance, and can't cruise, then he won't be covered.

Also, if by chance you miss the deadline (15-20 days since initial deposit) you can always acquire CSA Insurance (a bit higher than regular policies, but you get that all important pre-existing condition waived.) Last year I put a deposit down on a cabin for my parents and while I was searching for medical coverage, my Dad went into the hospital. At that point, I couldn't get him insurance until he left the hospital but by then the 20 days had lapsed. I had to get him insurance under CSA, you can also book that through insuremytrip. I call them every time I book a cruise.

We are booking a family cruise for Jan. 26 2014. My mother and step dad want to get a room along side of ours and adult grand kids now. The problem is, Step dad has stage 4 lung cancer and doing well, playing golf and all, but this is 9 months away. He wants to get travel insurance in case something happens. I want to know if we should go with Cruise line insurance or a third party? which is better? I was looking at one third party insurer and they off alot more coverage than I think the cruise line does. what are your thougts please?

Just make sure you understand any pre-existing clauses in whatever policy you buy.

Whenever I buy trip ins., I always go private. I always find much better prices.

I like third party better. Agree with above poster about insuremytrip there will be policies offered to cover pre existing conditions just look for that as you compare.

This is who I use too. They have soooo many policies that it can get confusing trying to compare them. It's also hard sometimes to find all the fine print details. However, in my experiences, their customer service people have always been very knowledgeable. I always call them & explain exactly what I am looking for & let them do the groundwork. They also already have good knowledge about many of the diff. policies offered before even looking them up to confirm.

Also, 3rd party insurance wants to know the costs of all non-refundable fees, and be sure to round up to the next dollar. I called today because we upgraded so I needed to up my cruise cost and I told her it was $1500. She said $1500 even? I said, well, no $1500.01 - she told me that I needed to report even that .1 cents because if I didn't and needed to use the policy, it would be voided because I didn't account for EVERY penny of non-refundable costs.

Also, 3rd party insurance wants to know the costs of all non-refundable fees, and be sure to round up to the next dollar. I called today because we upgraded so I needed to up my cruise cost and I told her it was $1500. She said $1500 even? I said, well, no $1500.01 - she told me that I needed to report even that .1 cents because if I didn't and needed to use the policy, it would be voided because I didn't account for EVERY penny of non-refundable costs.

thanks!!!! all good information!!!!!

Wow...that sounds bizarre to me. I've always just used an approximate amount - I figure that's the most they would reimburse me. I can't see how they could justify not covering you if you had an incident needing insurance and you requested the $1,500 even though the total cost was $1,501.

Wow...that sounds bizarre to me. I've always just used an approximate amount - I figure that's the most they would reimburse me. I can't see how they could justify not covering you if you had an incident needing insurance and you requested the $1,500 even though the total cost was $1,501.

It depends on the insurer and the cause of the loss. For example, if you cancel your cruise because of what turns out to be a pre-existing condition and you have a plan through Travel Guard you're up against this:

"PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION WAIVER

The Insurer will waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion up to a maximum of the first $50,000 of Trip Cost per person if the following conditions are met:

1. This plan is purchased within 15 days of making the Initial Trip Payment;

2. The amount of coverage purchased equals all prepaid, nonrefundable payments or deposits applicable to the Trip at the time of purchase, and the cost of any subsequent arrangement(s) added to the same Trip are insured within 15 days of the date of payment or deposit for any subsequent Trip arrangement(s);

3. All Insured’s are medically able to travel when plan cost is paid."

So if you skimped on the trip cost you insured your claim can be denied on that basis -- not just the amount you didn't insure but ALL of it. But if you cancel for a covered reason that's not considered to be a pre-existing condition you're OK.

Some insurers really don't care if you insure the full trip cost or not. For example, this is from a TravelSafe plan:

"WAIVER OF THE PRE-EXISTING CONDITION EXCLUSION

The exclusion for Pre-Existing Conditions will be waived if this plan is purchased within 21 days of the date Your initial Trip deposit is paid."

This is a much more consumer-friendly way of doing things. They'd LIKE you to insure every penny of your trip cost but they won't hold it against you if you don't.

Archived