Adventure of the Seas

Has anyone been on the AOS in the last month or so. I just read a member review on the cruisecritic web site that didn,t sound very good.

You could only order one entree in the main dining room no seconds at all. The Capt didn,t put the Stabilizers out because it costs to much fuel. The restrooms had raw sewage comming out.

We are going on AOS July 10 2005 and now i am worried..........................

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=9244

I believe this is the review he is referring to. I also read the review and and by the sounds of it it was a terrible trip. That having been said, look at the AOS reviews for Jan 05. Some are 1 star and some are 5 star.

I always think that a person has to experience something for themselves and not worry to much about other reviews. I have spent a fair amount of time research our Nov AOS cruise and I estimate 95% of the comments and reviews are favourable.

For me, I will go and make the best of whatever situation arises. I do not expect perfection.........:D

I asked the staff Captain on my last cruise about the stabalizers not being out, and he told me that they MUST be out, except when docking in port. He also stated that the ship will not burn more fuel, as it does not cause enough drag, and the ship still sails at 22 knots with them out. Sounds to me like someone was upset and made some stuff up. ALSO I have never seen a waiter say NO when you ask for seconds, unless the dinner is over and desert is coming out, even then I have seen them bring it to go.

Tim

Butchde,

make the best of your trip, don't let the clothing issues bother you, and I am certain the washroom issue was a one time problem. Remember, the water systems are vacuum controlled, so if someone plugs a line, it will create a problem.

Also, the seconds issue doesn't seem right to me either, there must be more to the story......

Enjoy your trip.......:)

We were on AOS last July and enjoyed ourselves so much that we booked a B2B for this July. We found nothing to complain about! The ship is beautiful, service is outstanding, and our week was perfect. This was not our first or second cruise, so we have several to compare to. There will always be someone that finds fault or has problems with something...perhaps they are very unhappy people:( . I'm sure you will enjoy yourself, and all your fears will be blown away when you are onboard! :)

We were on AOS in January 2005. I just read the "review" of the ship and I was appalled.

I will address some of the reviewer's comments. I edited out some of their remarks.--

Food was mediocre at best in the dining rooms. At Johnny Rockets it was terrible. I gave it three tries but could stomach no more than a bite or two. How, I wonder, does someone get that much grease to stay in a piece of food? Everything we tried was saturated. And unlike the last trip you now have to pay a cover charge for JR's?

I believe part of Johnny Rocket's, shall we say, charm, comes from its fried foods. We didn't eat at Johnny Rockets, because we hate it on land and even though we were given C&A coupons, we chose not to eat there.

We were also surprised to learn that there is now a charge for soft drinks. Or you are forced to buy a soda sticker for your sea pass. But this does not allow you to get soft drinks from the mini bar in your room. System simply does not make sense. An extra charge for soft drinks is cheesy IMO.

We all know that is totally untrue. Unless RCI gave away soft drinks before the early 90s, they have always charged for sodas, etc. All mass market cruise lines do this, if I am not mistaken.

Unlike our last cruise you cannot order more than one entree in the main dining room.

Also unlikely. We were travelling with a friend who liked to order more than one entree, appetizer, etc. It was never a problem. I think they would rather you order it at the beginning of the meal, because it makes it easier for the waitstaff.

Sorry, I had to pipe up here. I enjoyed our AOS cruise immensely. We have taken two Royal Caribbean cruises in the past two years. We are going on the Serenade next January. Our friends liked Royal Caribbean so well (they were on Carnival, Princess, and Celebrity) that they booked the Serenade with us in Jan and a short getaway in September. I used to think that Carnival and Royal were similar products. I am wrong about that now. Royal Caribbean has always bent over backward to make sure we were happy and comfortable.

--Judy

Thank You Everyone we were on AOS last July also and had a wonderful time.

So i really couldn,t understand that review. AOS is a great ship at least it was last july thats why we booked her again.

I've sailed on the Adventure twice and loved both trips! AOS is a beautiful ship, and both itineraries are awesome! I really wanted to book our next trip on AOS, but DH thought that we should try the Radiance class to "broaden our horizons!" :) I'm sure that we will love the Serenade too!

We were on AOS this past March and loved every second of the trip. The food was good, ship was clean and staff fantastic. Had dinner with the captain on the first formal night. He invited all of us up to the bridge when we were leaving from Curacao. I would go on AOS again in a second.

We just got off the AOS on Sunday. We ordered multiple dishes at all meals. No problem. The ship was in great shape. We had a 5 star experience. The food was good. Portifinos was great. If you need anymore answers, let me know.

We were on the AOS at the end of January - beginning of February

We never had a problem ordering seconds and Stabilizers worked just fine. We had one night with a 43 knot cross wind that was a bit rocky but I doubt that short of another route we could have avoided that.

I haven't traveled on the AOS, but will be in October with my wife. I have traveled on a RC ship in California and a Carnival on a Mexican Riviera Trip.

I believe you get what you expect in any trip, be it a cruise, train ride, car trip, camping trip or whatever. If you expect the worse you will find it.

I read two reviews of the same AOS cruise from earlier this year. To paraphase:

Review one: (no stars) My wife was sick the moment she got on board. I guess the pills she took didn't work. Also, because the cruise line wanted to fill the cabins and the cruise started in San Juan there were quite a lot of spanish speaking people on board and we could talk to them, it was very annoying. This is our first and last cruise.

Review two: (5 stars) My wife and I had a great time. The staff went out of the way to help us during a little rough seas on the first night. There seemed to be a number of spanish speaking passengers on board...it was great... felt very exotic with the different nationalities. We will travel on the AOS again.

Make the most of your time. It is special. No work, just play and relaxation.

[/indent]We all know that is totally untrue. Unless RCI gave away soft drinks before the early 90s, they have always charged for sodas, etc. All mass market cruise lines do this, if I am not mistaken.

I did not pay for soft drinks, during dinner in main dining room. Voyager of the Seas, in 2001. When I sailed on Adventure in '02, Explorer in '03, and Empress in '05y, I was charged for soft drinks in those cruises, and was told that RCCL changed it's policy.

BTW, this did not in any way dissuade me from cruising RCCL. I loved the adventure. The itinerary was awesome...but I thought that it was my least favorite of the 3 voyager class ships I've sailed.

PS...as far as more than one entree....this is my favorite trick....On the night that they have shrimp scampi (or whatever garlic-ish shrimp they offer) ask your waiter to give you JUST the shrimp, on TOP of that evenings pasta dish! Delectable!

Adventure of the Seas is a beautiful ship and I would sail on her again in a heartbeat. I sailed last September between the hurricanes and cannot find one negative thing to say, except that I didn't want to get off!!!! You know that old expression about " a little knowledge is dangerous.....................". Have a great trip; you cannot believe and shouldn't either, everything you read. Some people are unhappy no matter what.

on the grandeur, not AOS... on only meal issue was lobster night... my mom missed it on the menue and ordered it instead of her dinner that arrived. The head waiter was required to visit to verify this wasn't a second lobster serving:eek:. All other meals we had seconds graciously given.

We were just on Adventure last week. It was a good trip and my uncle ate multiple entrees at dinner, LOL. We did not have any of the problems that reviewer mentioned. The only thing I noticed was there was a "sewer" smell in some areas of the ship. It was odd. I only smelled it at certain times. I noticed it in two of the inside cabins on deck 10 where my uncle and grandfather were staying.

We were on the May 15 sailing of the AOS. It was one of our best cruises thus far. Although it was raining, and the seas a bit rough our first 2 1/2 days on board, we felt very little motion of the ship. The food was as good as always. We were able to order as much of anything we wanted off of the menu. As a matter of fact, our waiter had extra lobster tails ready for everyone at our table on lobster night(Friday). I am a big lemonade drinker, and they had a pitcher of it ready for me every night in the dining room for no extra charge. (I asked them for it the first night)

The ship was bright and clean, and we found nothing to complain about.

I did not pay for soft drinks, during dinner in main dining room. Voyager of the Seas, in 2001. When I sailed on Adventure in '02, Explorer in '03, and Empress in '05y, I was charged for soft drinks in those cruises, and was told that RCCL changed it's policy.

I guess I just don't remember free sodas in the dining room. I was on Song of America way back in the early 90s. I seem to remember having to pay for soft drinks at bars, etc. Maybe not in the dining room, but my memory fails most of the time. Forgive me for my error! Our son was maybe 8 or 9 and I'm sure he drank sodas in the dining room. I do remember giving him access on his room key card so he could purchase sodas when he wasn't with us.

Sorry for my memory lapse....

Judy

We just got off the AOS on Sunday. We ordered multiple dishes at all meals. No problem. The ship was in great shape. We had a 5 star experience. The food was good. Portifinos was great. If you need anymore answers, let me know.

About the biggest concern I have in planning our AOS trip booked for January is what night to go to Portofinos. :). Any suggestions? Or, do you remember the dinner menus?

If it makes a difference, we're doing the Aruba route.

We were on the AOS in December and had an amazing time.

Sounds llike the whole review is suspect. They compain about Johnny rockets being horrible that she could only take a few bites. Then why in the world would you go there a total of 3 times, especially when it is a $3.95 surcharge pp each time? And its food that is fried in oil. Generally, it is greasy. To think its not is ignorance.

Charging for soft drinks is a suprise to them? When was the last time they cruised? Even Carnival charges for soft drinks so having to pay for them on RCCL shouldn't have suprised them at all.

The fact that they couldn't get a second entree in the dining room or the fact that it took alot of time to get their drinks sounds more like a waiter problem then a cruise line problem. I never say anyone have a problem getting 2 of anything. And our drinks where always brought to our table very quickly.

In one part of the review they state "Five out of the seven night the restrooms.........." then later on when they are complaining about the ship rocking and how the stabilizers where not used they state "I was seasick 3 out of the 4 nights of the cruise".

Dang if you are going to lie at least get your lies straight. So was it a 4 day or 7 day cruise? I wouldn't believe anything in this review. It was obviously made up for fun by someone who doesn't have a life.

Archived