Southern Caribbean ports

BillOh

We finally picked our 2014 cruise just as we are days away from our 2013 cruise where I will be diving in St Thomas while my wife spends time on the boat. Our 2014 cruise starts in San Juan, first stops in St Martin where this would be our 3rd visit so that might make a good dive location this time. Is there a beach dive place in St Martin? All of the remaining stops are places we haven't been. I' want to dive once on this trip, but don't want to leave my non-diving wife alone at a new port. Any suggestion about diving in:

Basseterre, St. Kitts;

St. John's, Antigua;

Castries, St. Lucia;

Bridgetown, Barbados

Does your wife enjoy snorkeling or the beach?

In St. Thomas, Coki Beach has both good diving and snorkeling, and beach.

In St Lucia, if you go diving and can ask the boat to go to Superman's Flight by the pitons, it'll be a good boat trip for the wife, as you can only see the pitons from the boat.

In Antigua, the good diving/snorkeling is in the south of the island, whereas the ship docks in the northwest. So it'll take 1/2 hr of ride to get to the south. This is an island where you can do an island tour, including to the Hell's Gate.

In Barbados, the good diving/snorkeling is in the south/west. The ship docks at the south. Again, you can take an island tour, the east coast is very different in scenery, very rugged, and wavy.

We just got back from our trip and my husband dove in St. Lucia and St. Thomas. I, like your wife, am a non-diver. In St. Lucia we booked the day at Ti Kaye Resort. Hubby dove and I enjoyed the day on the beach. He thought the dive was very good, although they did not go to the Pitons. He returned by 1PM and then we enjoyed lunch and some beach time together. I highly recommend them. The resort is beautiful and the food and service were very good as well.

In St. Thomas we went to Coki Beach, where he dove and I should have enjoyed the morning on the beach, however it rained and I ended up sitting huddled under an umbrella! Not a great way to spend the morning, so next time he will dive with Blue Island and I'll spend the day on the ship. He enjoyed these dives, since they were beach dives and something different.

In St. Thomas we went to Coki Beach, where he dove and I should have enjoyed the morning on the beach, however it rained and I ended up sitting huddled under an umbrella! Not a great way to spend the morning, so next time he will dive with Blue Island and I'll spend the day on the ship. He enjoyed these dives, since they were beach dives and something different.

Thanks for this info, I considered doing the Coki Beach, but would only have done so if someone was with her. I ended up scheduling Blue Island for our Allure cruise in 2 weeks. My wife will be staying on the boat. I'm hoping for sunny skies.

• 4 weeks later...

I second Ti Kaye in St. Lucia. They met us at the pier and took us by boat to the resort. We have been there twice when we weren't certified and took the Discover Scuba tour with lunch. There are loungers on the beach. If she likes to snorkel she can do that too; there was good snorkeling right off the beach.

Archived