Sky Princess off to the Breakers

bdjam

Thanks BDJAM for the posting. I was motivated to find my album of our first Princess sailing in 1997 on Sky Princess; SF rt 11 day Alaskan itinerary. An amazing ship, steam powered. Capt Michael Fatchen at the helm and Rui Pereira as Maitre'd. We were pleased to see Rui again last November on the Star. I told him that it only took 20 more Princess sailings for me to find him.

My album took me to the outdoor buffet on Lido aft; my cruise card - a cardboard ID in a faux leatherette holder; the cruise coupon booklet used before computerized registration; the schedule for fixed dining room seatings for breakfast/lunch/dinner. Best of all, a 50 cent Cruisercize Coupon for physical activities on the ship.

Lastly, I was surprised at the fares. Our cost then for an inside stateroom was about what we paid for a minisuite in our upcoming British Isles sailing in August. Great memories of a fine ship.

We loved our sail from Sydney to Aukland in '98. The cranes were in place in Sydney for the building in preparation for the Olympics. We watched the Sky Princess sail to her berth under the bridge before dawn. We were becalmed for I think 5 hours in the Tasman sea as her boiler went out and had to cool down to restart. We each received a glass of wine at dinner for our delay. Unfortunately, several people who had taken this cruise to see the fjords in New Zealand lost out as they were not able to transfer to a smaller ship in time.

Strangely we were on the Norway (S.S.France) a couple of months before her boiler blew up and she ended at the Breakers.

Archived