Vancouver Entertainment Book

Does anyone have the 2013 edition? We are going to be in Vancouver for 1 day before our cruise and was thinking about buying the book. Is there a coupon in it for The HOHO trolley? The cost of the book is $15, it would pay for itself with just the trolley.

I've got it - no Trolley coupon this year, and the Aquarium and ScienceWorld have also dropped out over the last couple of years, but if they're still in stock when the price hits $15 it's hard *not* to save money. One free entree at almost any of the restaurants and you're in the black...

Possibly-useful to you as well - they started adding attractions outside the immediate book coverage area from 2012. So if you're visiting Seattle or Alberta you can also get some fairly high-profile attraction discounts.

Maybe I could pick your brain a little further if you don't mind. We are staying at the Quality Hotel Downtown - Inn at False Creek, any dining recommendations in the area? We arrive at 10:15 on a Wednesday night and the cruise is on Friday. Planning to do the HOHO to Stanley Park, enjoy some of the day there and then maybe head to Gastown. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You're close to Granville Street, which has a ton of drinking & dining options - mostly midrange rather than budget or fancy. Twisted Fork is a ludicrously popular brunch spot, but since you're arriving midweek getting in for brekky Thu or Fri should be easy. Other than Shuraku up at the Robson end, I can't think of anywhere else I'd go out of my way to eat in though.

There's a White Spot, always a safe bet, inside the BW at Granville & Drake just a block from you; and a few other locals have positively mentioned Adonis Greek Taverna which is on the next block. I think UT knows this part of town a lot better than I do though.

Since you're just a couple of blocks from the HoJo, I already posted a few resto suggestions based on walking from there into Yaletown, as well as some Gastown places - click here.

Pop up some more info on types of food preferred & budget and I'll be happy to get more specific - especially if you want to eat in Gastown or Yaletown.

Not a lot Dave - a mix of pubs & midrange restaurants with services that are only of use to locals (unless you're driving up and want to get your oil changed while you're here...)

I'm sure you could find somewhere to make the book break even on a dinner entree, but with just one day to spend I wouldn't restrict myself to the short list included in the book when there's the night market(s) for cheap grub or Sun Sui Wah and others for fancier Chinese food.

I think Martincath has pretty well summed up the close by eateries to the Quality Inn

The White Spot gets a lot of business from cruisers who stay at the Best Western - you never know if you are there on a Friday or Saturday night if you end up have a conversation with me as I am a regular at that location.

Cheers!

Dennis

Dennis, sorry to say that we won't catch you there as we will be sailing out on Friday night.

I see in your signature that you are sailing on the NCL Dawn this fall. Love the Boston to Bermuda cruise. If you have any questions, ask away. I have also done the Canada/New England cruise. If you need any help with hotel or restaurant questions in the Boston area let me know.

Thanks RedHead621 for your offer of help - I have been on the Dawn before and have been to Boston twice before - my late Mother was born there but arrived here on the west coast before her first birthday and I still have two elderly cousins who are Catholic nuns who are in the Boston Area - one of them recently celebrated her 75th anniversary of taking her religious vows.

I will have one full day in Boston - haven't planned anything yet but am looking at some options - have done Cape Cod and fall foliage tours and have walked much of the downtown core - leaning towards Lexington and Concord.

Enjoy your Vancouver stay. I can see your hotel from my condo as I live a block away.

Cheers

Dennis

Does anyone have the 2013 edition? We are going to be in Vancouver for 1 day before our cruise and was thinking about buying the book. Is there a coupon in it for The HOHO trolley? The cost of the book is $15, it would pay for itself with just the trolley.

Don't have this year's ETBook, but we used them when we cruised from Vancouver to Hawaii, and it more than paid for itself. We had one for both locations. In Vancouver I think we used 4 coupons:

1- Gas Town for dinner

2- Revolving Restaurant for dinner

3- Capilano Suspension Bridge coupon

4- China Town for dinner.

Those books are well worth the investment:D

• 2 weeks later...

There are plenty of 'second tier' sites with a 'buy one get one free' ticket, like the Maritime Museum, Space Centre, Bloedel Conservatory, Dr Sun Yat Sen Garden, Museum of Anthropology - all of these cost over $10 a ticket for adults I think, so rack up a couple and you've paid for the book.

You won't find big hits like Capilano, Grouse or the Aquarium any more but a few more expensive options remain - Stanley Park Carriage Tours, a harbour cruise, 25% off whalewatching with one company (but that kind of discount is easily available or better with Groupons & similar).

There are also tons of restaurants, some quite decent (e.g. Herons in the Fairmont, Le Gavroche, Water St Cafe), where you can get a free entree that could be worth up to $30 - if you're here for three days you'd have to try pretty hard not to save a lot more than the cost of the book!

I've got it - no Trolley coupon this year, and the Aquarium and ScienceWorld have also dropped out over the last couple of years, but if they're still in stock when the price hits $15 it's hard *not* to save money. One free entree at almost any of the restaurants and you're in the black...

Possibly-useful to you as well - they started adding attractions outside the immediate book coverage area from 2012. So if you're visiting Seattle or Alberta you can also get some fairly high-profile attraction discounts.

Can you buy the Entertainment book in Vancouver or do I have to order it over the internet & if so is there anywhere close to Best Western Plus Downtown that I can buy it when I arrive there ? :)

I doubt this late in the year that anyone would still be selling the book over the counter and as I live close to the Best Western can't think of any place in that neighbourhood that would still be selling the book.

As a former Entertainment book chairman at my place of work you had to remit and pay for all books usually by the end of the calendar year thus very few organizations selling the books would keep them beyond that date - it has been a number of years since I sold them so things may have changed - it also use to be against their policy for sellers to discount the book.so even if you did find a place you are likely to have to pay the full price so in answer to your question online is really your only option at this time.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

There are plenty of 'second tier' sites with a 'buy one get one free' ticket, like the Maritime Museum, Space Centre, Bloedel Conservatory, Dr Sun Yat Sen Garden, Museum of Anthropology - all of these cost over $10 a ticket for adults I think, so rack up a couple and you've paid for the book.

You won't find big hits like Capilano, Grouse or the Aquarium any more but a few more expensive options remain - Stanley Park Carriage Tours, a harbour cruise, 25% off whalewatching with one company (but that kind of discount is easily available or better with Groupons & similar).

There are also tons of restaurants, some quite decent (e.g. Herons in the Fairmont, Le Gavroche, Water St Cafe), where you can get a free entree that could be worth up to $30 - if you're here for three days you'd have to try pretty hard not to save a lot more than the cost of the book!

How much would the Stanley Park Carriage Tour be for two people with one coupon book ? :)

How much would the Stanley Park Carriage Tour be for two people with one coupon book ? :)

There are 3 identical coupons in each book (plus another couple of money off a private carriage rental). As with almost all of the coupons, it's a Buy One Get One Free deal - capped at $30 (prices and thus savings depend if you're adult, senior, kid etc.)

There are 3 identical coupons in each book (plus another couple of money off a private carriage rental). As with almost all of the coupons, it's a Buy One Get One Free deal - capped at $30 (prices and thus savings depend if you're adult, senior, kid etc.)

Is there a coupon for the Capilano Suspension Bridge in the entertainment book ? If so is it buy one and get one free ? :)

Is there a coupon for the Capilano Suspension Bridge in the entertainment book ? If so is it buy one and get one free ? :)

Sorry - my last post about chick post 16 is actually for you ... Seems there used to be a coupon for the bridge but no longer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived