Disabled - Carnival Dream - May 11 sailing

CabochonLady

Help! My husband and I are on the Carnival Dream on the May 11 sailing. We are interested in the shore tours in Belize. However, Donald is disabled. He uses a power scooter to get around. I know we will be tendered in Belize, so he can't take his scooter off the ship.

Does anyone know which (if any) tours are handicapped accessible, without any major walking?

Thanks in advance.

Roni

Help! My husband and I are on the Carnival Dream on the May 11 sailing. We are interested in the shore tours in Belize. However, Donald is disabled. He uses a power scooter to get around. I know we will be tendered in Belize, so he can't take his scooter off the ship.

Does anyone know which (if any) tours are handicapped accessible, without any major walking?

Thanks in advance.

Roni

Hi Roni, I really don't have an answer but think you might want to contact Carnival Directly. We have emailed them with questions in the past and they have been helpful. Their booked tours run more but it might give you both some piece of mind for Belize. Perhaps calling them to book a Belieze tour would give you some quick ideas and answers. Have a fantastic cruise. Brian

Yes, speak with Carnival directly. See if their special needs department can assist. If not, once on board, head for the shore excursion desk and inquiry there. They'll be better able to assist and will be able to schedule wheelchairs for your husband, if needed. Most likely it'll be a city tour. I've seen wheelchairs at Xunantunich, but there is a steep hill up to the temple site. Long bus ride though.

Best of luck to you and have a wonderful cruise whatever you wind up doing.

I was there last year on a Royal Caribbean ship and I had been told that it was a tender port also. I use a power wheelchair full time, so I was planning on just staying on board the ship at Belize and we made no plans for excursions on shore. About 1030 that morning the cabin steward asked what I was still doing on the ship, why hadn't I gone ashore? I replied that it was a tender port and since I couldn't get out of my chair, even for a little bit, I was just going to stay aboard. He told me that one of the tender boats are wheelchair accessible and he turned out to be correct. I drove my wheelchair directly onto the tender boat, and when we reached the dock. I drove right off the tender onto a nice long ramp and down onto the dock. No problems.

I don't know if that was only for Royal Caribbean ships or what, but I was pretty mad when I found out that I could have made plans to go do something ashore, rather than just cruising around the dock, checking out the shops. And the sea was calm that day, if it had been rough, and the tender boat would've been bouncing up and down, I don't know if they would have let me get on it. But I do know that last April I drove off the ship, onto a tender boat and then on to the dock at Belize city.

• 2 weeks later...

A number of years ago, my husband who was disabled and I went to Altun Ha using his manual chair. It was not easy because the path was rough, but he enjoyed it.

Not knowing if he would be able to get ashore, we had not pre-reserved anything so we joined a van tour at the pier.

Archived