Ipads w/cellular question

littlesnit

Hi,

I'm Ipad iliterate and am wondering if we might be able to get service on our NY to New England/Canada cruise without purchasing Carnival's WiFi service.

We've always taken a laptop and utilized Carnival's free service using message boards to keep in touch back home.

I'll be purchasing an Ipad with AT&T soon, and wondering since we won't be all that far off the coast on our next trip, if we might be able to pick up a signal from AT&T.

If not, I guess it will still be easier to use Carnival's site with the Ipad than lugging the laptop.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Hi,

I'm Ipad iliterate and am wondering if we might be able to get service on our NY to New England/Canada cruise without purchasing Carnival's WiFi service.

We've always taken a laptop and utilized Carnival's free service using message boards to keep in touch back home.

I'll be purchasing an Ipad with AT&T soon, and wondering since we won't be all that far off the coast on our next trip, if we might be able to pick up a signal from AT&T.

If not, I guess it will still be easier to use Carnival's site with the Ipad than lugging the laptop.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Would you please explain what you are talking about regarding Carnival's free service using message boards with a laptop! THANKS - I have both a laptop which only uses wifi and an iPad which only uses wifi also. I have picked up Verizon data on my iPhone depending on where I was.

Would you please explain what you are talking about regarding Carnival's free service using message boards with a laptop! THANKS - I have both a laptop which only uses wifi and an iPad which only uses wifi also. I have picked up Verizon data on my iPhone depending on where I was.

Access to Carnival's Funville forums is free on board. You can set up a thread to use to communicate with those at home. The only drawback is that it isn't private.

Thanks all! Guess it will still be easier to carry the IPad in ports, just in case we have to actually e-mail rather than use the Forum messaging.

Yes, as Big Duck was saying, the Carnival Forums is free to use while onboard. Go to Carnival's site, and I think it's under Community. We usually set up a Thread before we leave. Then when onboard, just go there, search for your thread, and you can communicate with home. Just don't go as far as where they ask you for a credit card # :eek:.

gwb, If you can't find it, let me know and I'll check it out again and give you step-by-step directions.

Thanks all! Guess it will still be easier to carry the IPad in ports, just in case we have to actually e-mail rather than use the Forum messaging.

Yes, as Big Duck was saying, the Carnival Forums is free to use while onboard. Go to Carnival's site, and I think it's under Community. We usually set up a Thread before we leave. Then when onboard, just go there, search for your thread, and you can communicate with home. Just don't go as far as where they ask you for a credit card # :eek:.

gwb, If you can't find it, let me know and I'll check it out again and give you step-by-step directions.

Wow this is so cool. Thank you very much for explaining it. I'll let you know if I need any help - thanks again!:)

I figured out how to set up the account but I'm just not sure where to start a thread to use to send messages home. Does the person reading them also need to set up an account or could they simply use mine to sign on with? THANKS!

I figured out how to set up the account but I'm just not sure where to start a thread to use to send messages home. Does the person reading them also need to set up an account or could they simply use mine to sign on with? THANKS!

There is a section called "currently on board" that most use. I'm sure giving out you username/password violates the T&Cs of the site, but the system won't blow up if you do.

Archived