Scooter Rental

ZachMo904

Cruising with RCI on Jewel of the Seas, May 6th 2013. We were considering renting some scooters to ride around on and explore. Not doing an excursion, just kind of going off on our own. Wondering if anyone has experience renting scooters there?

Also curious about the driving and traffic. Was it as crazy and dangerous as other ports, like Cozumel, or was it a little slower/less dangerous?

Thanks for any advice/information.

Zach

Scooters/Mopeds are an inexpensive way to move around the island and I'll admit that WAY back when I was young and stupid I rented one when I vacationed for a week on island .... dw and I explored much of the island that way. Back then there were WAY fewer tourists and I was a "rider".

later as a ship captain visiting islands I had to proscribe renting scooters by my crew - too many crashes ... too many kids send home busted up

I'm just a few weeks back from a week in Cayman (diving trip) and happy to report I did not see a single person I'd suspect was a cruis'y on a scooter. Nor did I see anyplace to rent one. At My Bar for a week I saw a few scooters but they all appeared to be folks from the island.

rent a car/jeep

Scooters where folks drive on the other side, and the roads are full of sand, and tourists are not familiar with that 'other side thing' is a VERY dangerous set up (even if you are a rider) ..... don't rent a scooter .... please?

That dreaded sand. I crashed on a scooter in Hawaii 20 years ago just because of a little sand on the road. I'm a good driver, conciencious, well practiced and it still happened. Got banged up and still have a big scar on my ankle from it. (I was one of those ship employees on a day off :))

Archived