Elation Going In Drydock

mummy

I wish I would have known this a few months back. We are cruising on December 4th and would have waited to go in January to see the new stuff. Too many things planned now to change so I guess we will have to tough it out.:p Did you watch the show on TLC that was about a ship (Royal Carr.) in drydock? It was very interesting to see how frantic the workers were to get everything done on time. Have a great sailing!:)

Any idea the exact dates of the dry dock? We were hoping to cruise on Jan. 1st. on the Elation.

I think that the sailing dates of January 8, 15, and 22 have been cancelled. January 1 appears to be still available. I chose to switch my reservation to the 29th so that I would still have the same fare as the original January 15 sailing (January 1 is more expensive because of the New Years holiday).

I just double-checked with my TA (we're booked on the Elation for January 15-22, 2006), and he called Carnival. They said there's no drydock scheduled for then. He said we're still OK to sail on our original dates.

Wha???

--Heidi

I just double-checked with my TA (we're booked on the Elation for January 15-22, 2006), and he called Carnival. They said there's no drydock scheduled for then. He said we're still OK to sail on our original dates.

Wha???

--Heidi

You might want to call back. Carnival has pulled those dates off their schedule.

http://www.carnival.com/Itinerary.aspx?itinCode=GL6&embkCode=GAL&durDays=7&shipCode=EL&page=2#SD

Last cruise is Jan 1 and the next cruise after drydock is Jan 29.

Now we have to figure out what the heck we're going to do. We can't change to another week (working around my husband's college class schedule).

Apparently Carnival will make some sort of "compensation offer" (my TA's words) when they officially send out the drydock bulletin. We've already talked to Continental Airlines and their travel insurance isn't going to cover us. We're going to have to pay $100 per person to change to a different date and/or airport.

ARG!!!

--Heidi

Now we have to figure out what the heck we're going to do. We can't change to another week (working around my husband's college class schedule).

Apparently Carnival will make some sort of "compensation offer" (my TA's words) when they officially send out the drydock bulletin. We've already talked to Continental Airlines and their travel insurance isn't going to cover us. We're going to have to pay $100 per person to change to a different date and/or airport.

ARG!!!

--Heidi

On another thread someone mentioned that Carnival would cover flight change fees up to $100. So check with your TA when the comp offer is sent out.

Hope you are still able to have a great cruise next year.

I wish I would have known this a few months back. We are cruising on December 4th and would have waited to go in January to see the new stuff. Too many things planned now to change so I guess we will have to tough it out.:p Did you watch the show on TLC that was about a ship (Royal Carr.) in drydock? It was very interesting to see how frantic the workers were to get everything done on time. Have a great sailing!:)

Doubt that you will see many changes on the ship. Ships have to be dry docked about every two years for hull inspection for insurance purposes. She will get a good cleaning and more than likely some new carpet in areas. Not sure if this ship has her new bedding so that may be on the list also.

The TLC program is back on this Sunday starting at 2:00 EST and will run all five parts one after the other.

I just talked to my TA, who talked to Carnival. The first time he put me on hold and he came back and said, "The cruise is coming up unavailable, but there's nothing anywhere about a drydock. We're checking with a supervisor, please hold again."

Then he came back and said, "That cruise and the neighboring weeks are coming up unavailable, because they are sold out. Someone may have assumed there's a drydock going on, but the ship is sold out. When there's a drydock, Carnival notifies TAs immediately with a bulletin, and nothing has been sent out."

So ... maybe we're still OK. Have to wait and see.

--Heidi

We had booked the Jan 15th sailing through our Carnival Vacation Club Membership a few weeks ago. Called them this morning and they weren't sure of any info on this. So I hung up and called Carnival direct. Yes, the Elation will be in drydock for several weeks in January. At least we hadn't booked any airfare, etc.

Archived