Who Offers Least Crowded Stingray Tours?

SanAntonioRose

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]Hello Fellow Cruiselovers,!

My husband has FINALLY agreed to cruise for the first time--Yipee for me! (I've been on three without him.) I'm anxious to share Stingray City with him, but he's not crazy about crowds, so...

[B]...Can any of you recommend a Stingray City tour that is more "intimate" than the cattle boats ones, but not as expensive as chartering a private boat.[/B]

We ship out next week on 4/11/04 aboard the Rhapsody of the Sea. I'll take any advice you've got to make this an extra-special outing! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

NativeWays is the way to go.. 15-25 people..

Pix here
[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/danswack"]Pictures[/url]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2003;12;21;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] ;Carnival Inspiration

RCL Legend of the Seas July 1999 Alaska
NCL Majesty Feb 2003 W Carr

We did the Buccaneer Catamaran, the week of March 14. It carries about 32-35 people on a 50 foot catamaran. Never felt crowded, enough room to lay around. There are 2 snorkle stops with Stringray City. Snorkle equipment is provided. He charges $39 for adults. It is a short walk from the pier and afterwards, you are dropped off at the pier! Very nice and enjoyable.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;03;14;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

Well you can't avoid the crowds at Stingray City. We went with Soto's in Sept. - 3 stops for $19 - I think the price has gone up to $24. There were about 20 of us on a nice boat and clean snorkel equipment. They picked us up at the pier and took us back there. Fun trip for a very reasonable price.
Peggy

Soto's is the way to go IMO.

Scott

Star Princess 11/28/04
Grand Princess 4/25/04
Island Princess
Galaxy
Jubilee
Sensation
Big Red Boat
Celebration
Starward
CostaMarina
Fantasy
Seaward
Independence
Daphne
Independence

• 2 years later...
:) We have gone several times on the Stingray Sand Bar Tour from the ship. Last time we took the very first tour out at 7:30 AM, so we were the first boat to arrive, no crowds at all!:D The sting rays were starving at that time of the morning, very happy to see that first boat. There were maybe 20 people on our boat. Nice boat too, not too big and had shade. The rays were so hungry - one of them tried to eat my skirt bathing suit - thought I was gonna be breakfast! :confused: I had to pull really hard to get it back! It was too funny but a littly freaky! :o We stopped feeding the rays when the other boats came cause they were packed with people and we had already been there long enough anyway. But the crowds coming was a real turn off. They said we had time left, did we want to go conch diving?? WHOA, HECK YEA! We really lucked out that day! So, our tour guides took us, not far away from the original stop at the sand bar...and we DOVE FOR CONCH! It was unreal! The season had just opened and they were jazzed to dive too! We watched our guide clean all of them, he gave each one of us our very own shell to take home. It wasnt deep there either, maybe about 8 feet. It was so much fun, still cant get over how great that trip was. :)

Myra--Thanks for the update on Stingray tours. So, do you think that the best way to do the ship's excursion is to be on the first tour? I like the security of taking a ship's excursion, but it would be great to have a smaller crowd.

Did you take a large boat out (like they would usually use it for the large tour) or did you have a small one? I tend to get seasick, so I would really prefer to have a larger boat. Was the water very choppy?

Thanks again!

[quote name='SanAntonioRose'][img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]Hello Fellow Cruiselovers,!

My husband has FINALLY agreed to cruise for the first time--Yipee for me! (I've been on three without him.) I'm anxious to share Stingray City with him, but he's not crazy about crowds, so...

[B]...Can any of you recommend a Stingray City tour that is more "intimate" than the cattle boats ones, but not as expensive as chartering a private boat.[/B]

We ship out next week on 4/11/04 aboard the Rhapsody of the Sea. I'll take any advice you've got to make this an extra-special outing! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img][/QUOTE]
We went with Captain Marvins in Feb 04. There were 8 of us on the boat. They had us in an area all by ourselves. Some of the other boats out there were packed!

We booked our excursion through Capt. Marvin's and had a great time also. We were there this past April. Our tour wasn't very big and the guides were excellent.

That said, you should know that even if you find a small tour operator you will encounter loads of people at Stingray City simply because it is a major attraction. It's worth the experience even if it's crowded with humans. That was our first time in GC and given the opportunity, I would still do it again.

Have a fantastic time!

[quote]We went with Captain Marvins in Feb 04. There were 8 of us on the boat. They had us in an area all by ourselves. Some of the other boats out there were packed![/quote]

As a counter to that, we went with Captain Marvins on our trip in July, and I'd have to say the boat was pretty crowded. The boat was supposedly licensed for 24, and I'm pretty sure we were a couple over that. It did get a little better once people spread out a little and some people moved up to sit on the front of the boat. I'd have to say I had mixed experiences about them, early in the trip I felt it was a little disorganized, but after that, and once we got to the stingray place (which we did as a last stop), I thought they did a real good job.

And, of course, I didn't feel quite as over crowded when I saw one of what had to be a ship excursion pull up and disgorge a huge number of people. (I think that opinion was pretty universal amongst those of us on the trip that weren't completely happy with the crowding on our boat).

I have had a hard time deciding which tour. I have decided to tale nativeway as they do the rum island run also and have read alot about it
Got a very good e mail from Bucceners forget the name and was impressed. I thinkv planning on going with private is the way to go.

We decided to do the 27' Eco power boat tour of Stingray City, Starfish Beach and the mangroves on a private boat for our family of 4. Booked it through grandcaymancruiseexcursionsDOTcom. It costs a little more than the ships' tour, but we have the flexability of altering our itinerary and having a new boat to ourselves. Can't wait to go!

We went on a Carnival tour in June. (By the way, we had booked with an independent but cancelled a few weeks before the cruise when DH was in the hospital. We knew he wouldn't need the delays of tendering without a Carnival tour.) Since we chose an early one, we were there long before all the other boats. Our boat had about 24 people on it. We got personalized attention with the rays (calming me down!, holding them, kissing them, and posing for pictures and the video) and it was awesome. They had an independent photographer and videographer on board who did great work at fair prices.

Near the end of our stay, a lot of other boats arrived. We were glad we weren't on them because even if they had less passengers, there were a lot more people out in the water and the stingrays would have spread out among them.

This worked out so well, the next time we'll also book an early tour through the cruise line. I think getting there early is the key to avoiding the crowds.

We did the Nativeway Rays Reef and Rumpoint tour in July 2006 and had 18 people on the tour. When we did the snorkel and Stingray City tour with them three years ago, there were probabaly about 20-22. Lots of personal attention and time with the rays. Since there were several boats already at Stingray City, they took us snorkeling first and then to the rays after some boats left.

:D Hi Cruising Khi! Sorry it has taken me a while to get back.:rolleyes: I was very happy with the Stingray Tour off of our ship. It has proven to be successful each time we have chosen that particular tour. They are very sensitive to first timers. They usually have several tours offered from the ship but this one specifically says STINGRAY SANDBAR only. Its a medium sized boat, not too small nor too big. Dont believe they really go out far enough for you to get sea sick, the water is very shallow. Not a lot of big swells or huge wave action. Unless the weather was bad, then they wouldnt take you anyway, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. Just take your patches etc . in case, but I think you will be fine. I think we had about 20 people, it wasnt very crowded at all. They teach you what to do, provide you with the safety measures, assist you, give you the squid to feed the rays. Its awesome! They are really nice folks! Not as many people like to get up that early so first out is always a good idea, that way you can avoid the crowds, then have the bus drop you off at 7 mile afterwards for a nice relaxing time at the beach: Royal Palms Beach Club is free or it was the last time we were there.:)

[quote name='The4Cruisers']We decided to do the 27' Eco power boat tour of Stingray City, Starfish Beach and the mangroves on a private boat for our family of 4. Booked it through grandcaymancruiseexcursionsDOTcom. It costs a little more than the ships' tour, but we have the flexability of altering our itinerary and having a new boat to ourselves. Can't wait to go![/quote]

I'm waiting for a quote from this company. While I'm waiting, would you mind posting what you're paying and whether you booked 1/2 day or full day.

Thanks.

[quote name='The4Cruisers']We decided to do the 27' Eco power boat tour of Stingray City, Starfish Beach and the mangroves on a private boat for our family of 4. Booked it through grandcaymancruiseexcursionsDOTcom. It costs a little more than the ships' tour, but we have the flexability of altering our itinerary and having a new boat to ourselves. Can't wait to go![/quote]

I'm waiting for a quote from this company. While I'm waiting, would you mind posting what you're paying and whether you booked 1/2 day or full day.

Thanks.

My family of 5 was on the 2 stop tour on the Hannibal with Captain Bryans in May.
There was 12 of us on the catamaran, while the other boats were packed.
We had a great time, and even made an extra stop to see large starfish.
Enjoy!!!
It was $35 pp.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived