VIP Boarding

madgally

I would love to buy a full suite, but you can’t get one unless you pay for butler and concierge service. I wouldn’t let the butler in my room and have no use for his or her services. We prefer privacy. I tell the maids on the first night when it’s ok for them to come and give them all instructions so I don’t have to see them the whole trip so no way I could live with a butler bothering us. Concierge is something that wouldn’t help me at all. If I want a reservation on the boat I can pick up the phone.

John is right I do not need special assistance, I use to help with travelling. I have a shock button John and just shock them if they try and push it. You haven’t seen the new one, nobody would try and push it and if they do it locks down.

I would like to know more about this shock button please...sounds like something that might come in handy for my kids. Hahahaha!

I would like to know more about this shock button please...sounds like something that might come in handy for my kids. Hahahaha!

This is just putting a spin on the situation to divert attention away from what is actually rude and obnoxious behavior used to try to obtain something not included in the individual's reservation that they feel entitled to and are intent on bullying someone into giving them anyway.

Or some of the people at my office... shh :p I know now when we sail we are in suites. These fares are sometimes double or even tripple what we would pay for a balcony room. This give us priority boarding and if I found out this amenity was given to someone just because they whined about it would make me a little upset. It wouldn't ruin my holidays or make me want to sail another cruise line however it would make me question the some of the value of having a suite in the future. I like being first on the ship :) Heck, if I could whine about not having Haven access and in turn get access while sailing in a balcony or inside room count me in! :D

Can't wait to see how this one plays out. Interesting thread. Subscribing.

It has to be close to dead . All the usual lines have been posted and little or no rebut from the OP . Was entertaining though ;)

For some reason I keep envisioning the cartoon Crankshaft .. :p

Interesting. If I'm reading that correctly, then the OP does and does encourage others to get away with whatever they can in using VIP boarding without paying for it. I guess the NCL "maids" and other "servants" supervising boarding do occasionally see that happening, but in order to avoid unpleasant confrontation may let it slide. Get away with it if you can...right?

The way I read it was that the OP was entitled to the perk (for whatever reason) but was disgruntled because she had to wait to board, so she "did the math and discovered some of these people weren't entitled," and reported it to the staff, who then agreed, and allowed her to board next. Hence, the remark I made about what's good for the goose... ;)

It has to be close to dead . All the usual lines have been posted and little or no rebut from the OP . Was entertaining though ;)

For some reason I keep envisioning the cartoon Crankshaft .. :p

Crankshaft! LOL! Absolutely right!!! :D

Not sure if it's a mini suite or a junior suite but was on them last summer from NJ (near NYC) and the year before from Florida and both times we had VIP boarding.

Still gathering bits of info on differences from RCI to NCL. Very interesting reading - especially since my wife uses a wheelchair about 90% of the time. We're booked in an Accessible cabin so not sure if that will matter as far as boarding procedure with NCL.

Some thoughts:

• RCI Junior Suites do get priority check-in - but not Suite Lounge amenities. Just a separate check-in line that I usually observed was far longer than the regular lines anyway.
  • As soon as RCI personnel see my wife in wheelchair they come and take her away to wheelchair accessible check-in counter (lower). I suspect NCL would be the same since I believe port staff are often shared between lines. From then on I don't get to push her again until we get on the ship for safety reasons. Often the boarding ramps are steep.
  • One time we were pre-positioned in the suite lounge prior to boarding but were there taken away to board early - even before the photographers were set up. They like to do security with the wheelchairs first since it can take a little longer and makes rest of boarding smoother.
  • Suite amenities apparently vary by departure port and what facilities they have. Priority check-in and boarding may also. So even for same line (let alone comparing cruise lines) it can be different.
  • Actual policies (not "official" ones) at one port can also be different from another - depending on who is running the show. Another reason generalizations are hard to make.

It will be interesting next year to see how NCL handles check-in and boarding.

Y'know, sometimes I stumble across the most interesting things, such as this: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1354279 . I found post #4 in that thread particularly interesting.;)

Apparently what's good for the goose is ONLY good for the goose. :rolleyes:

Good detective work :) ....you might want to watch out for the "shock button" though :p

What we did was arrive late (I think five minutes before they ended boarding) and we were walked all the way through. Also they keep boarding after they say it's over.

This is one of the many reason I stopped using NCL. That and all the extra fees for eating dinner. Their main dinning rooms sucks and unless you have a group your with you have to eat with your family only or different people each day.

Disagree mdr was awesome on the Dawn best meals I've ate

What we did was arrive late (I think five minutes before they ended boarding) and we were walked all the way through. Also they keep boarding after they say it's over.

This is one of the many reason I stopped using NCL. That and all the extra fees for eating dinner. Their main dinning rooms sucks and unless you have a group your with you have to eat with your family only or different people each day.

Can't really decipher your comments above.

Not sure when you sailed NCL but your last comment about eating with different people each day is not correct. I assume you are saying you have to eat with other people at the same table. NCL NEVER makes you eat with others. You are always given a table to accommodate your party UNLESS you specifically want to eat with others. Then, you will be asked to wait shortly while the receptionists see if there are others that are willing to share a table.

I would love to buy a full suite, but you can’t get one unless you pay for butler and concierge service. I wouldn’t let the butler in my room and have no use for his or her services. We prefer privacy. I tell the maids on the first night when it’s ok for them to come and give them all instructions so I don’t have to see them the whole trip so no way I could live with a butler bothering us. Concierge is something that wouldn’t help me at all. If I want a reservation on the boat I can pick up the phone.

John is right I do not need special assistance, I use to help with travelling. I have a shock button John and just shock them if they try and push it. You haven’t seen the new one, nobody would try and push it and if they do it locks down.

Not sure how much of the price difference is for butler/concierge service. Probably not much. But the butler doesn't come into your room any more than the room steward -- the butler only comes in if you have a request, and once per day to drop off an afternoon snack.

The concierge isn't just to book dining reservations.... the concierge is the person who makes sure you get priority disembarkation. On our suite trip, the concierge led us through the bowels of the ship around the other passengers to get priority disembarkation and tender. The concierge also insures you have priority seating for shows, priority getting dinner reservations over non-suite guests, etc.

Of course, not everyone uses every suite perk. Some suite guests make a ton of use out of the butler (ordering in-room restaurant dining every night, lots of special requests, movies delivered every night) and concierge (for detailed help booking excursions, for VIP access), while other people make virtually no use of them. Butler/concierge is just 1 of many suite perks, and probably only responsible for a small part of the increased cost.

:eek:really though? REALY!?!?!?! Smh.

:eek:really though? REALY!?!?!?! Smh.

I have seen SMH on quite a few posts lol I always though it was pretty harsh to tell someone to do something like this to a "H"ole but thought that I should google it to make sure my mind wasn't in the gutter. I feel old now. Smack my head! doh!

I have seen SMH on quite a few posts lol I always though it was pretty harsh to tell someone to do something like this to a "H"ole but thought that I should google it to make sure my mind wasn't in the gutter. I feel old now. Smack my head! doh!

I just laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair!

:D:D:D

Smh = shaking my head :D

Priceless! :D

...... and thank you for googling it and posting what smh means. I had no idea either! ;)

OP you sound like someone who uses your disability as an excuse to get special treatment. Lets all bow down to you shall we.

That and the fact that you probably don't want to supervise or interact with your kids. Pay for the kids club instead.

On second thoughts, you're obviously too tight for that and expect to let them run a muck.

Should we all wait behind you why you've piled your 20 plates at the buffet too???

Does NCL still not allow Mini Suite guests to board in the VIP section. Since school isn't starting until September 9th this year I thought I would try the GEM the first week of September (if they have enough kids booked or I will cancel - can't bring kids if it will all be seniors - wouldn't be fun for us or them).

I have only taken Carnival and Royal Carribean and they always board me with VIP. I book Ocean Suites on Carnival (same as mini on NCL) and Mini Suites on Royal and we always get VIP.

There isn't a chance in **** that I would wait hours in line to check in. I do know that NCL will probably not throw us off the VIP line, espically with me in a wheelchair, but my husband thinks we shouldn't support such stupid rules.

HAVE they changed their rules? I really want to take the Breakaway next summer (this summer the GEM) but this is going to be a major issue.....

They have no problems advising you that your not in a suite and go to the regular line. I dont mean for that to sound mean so please dont take it that way... But our last cruise the lady could not find us on her list to let us in the VIP check in and she said you need to go to the other line, but we said no we are in a suite and she made us wait and they found our names... Anyways I have never waited hours either when I dont book a suite, check in usually takes 30 mins if that.

She doesn't need special assistance............ Just because she uses a wheelchair to travel doesn't mean she needs assistance. If they try and push he chair she will get up......

I am confused re: the OP. If she is in a wheelchair, why wouldn't she want someone to push the chair? I think she said she uses a cane but was all hot and bothered about someone trying to push her chair? Those ramps onto the ship are steep. What is with the shock button she was alluding to? Anyone think this original post is just a hoax? I can't imagine someone being this rude but then again.....

OP, I have read your initial post a few times and am just dumbfounded. Maybe it just didn't come out as you intended, I hope. wish I could think of something uplifting to say... like ValleyVillage would.

I save the term "Well bless your heart" for situations like this!

If I get crucified for these comments, so be it. But this is what I think...

I understand the annoyance over the supposed attitude of entitlement, and I can also understand the gasps over the shock button. But...I think if I were in a wheelchair, I'd get a shock button too. I carry a concealed weapon on my person, why can't people who would have a hard time turning around quickly have a way of protecting themselves.

Made me think of this young boy that used to work for me. He had spina bifida and was in a wheel chair. He was very independent, and refused to let any of us open the heavy studio doors for him. In fact, he was always opening doors for me. :) Sweet boy.

One day, on his way to the bus stop to go home after work he was mugged and flipped over in his wheel chair. He got back to the office and I took him home. A couple days later, as I was walking to my car, I saw a bunch of thugs causing trouble to him by the sidewalk, and before I could get to him they pushed him across Nimitz why. If anyone has sailed into Honolulu, HI, that road right outside the pier is Nimitz hwy. It's several lanes wide, very busy and people are always speeding. He almost got hit. I thought the other night after reading through this thread, "Gosh, If only he had a shock button".

I believe sometimes, people with mobility issues grow a sense of entitlement because of being pushed around so much (pardon the pun). Kinda like the seniors that I visit in the rest homes. Many of them are grouchy because family stops visiting, and they are lonely.

So...my point is, let's give her a little slack. :)

Archived