Lifou snorkelling

Wattle

Where is the best place to snorkel in Lifou? I have read somewhere else (can't find it now), that it costs $15 to snorkel and the numbers are limited (this is not with a tour, just off the beach).

Where is the best place to snorkel in Lifou? I have read somewhere else (can't find it now), that it costs $15 to snorkel and the numbers are limited (this is not with a tour, just off the beach).

The most recommended snorkeling spot on Lifou is Jinek Bay - walkable distance from the tender wharf - up the slope through the parking area above the market, to the left across the ridge and turn right down to the bay. I have read on another forum (rules prevent me from providing the link) that the steps and platform have been improved and that there is now a $15 immersion fee with limits on the numbers in the water at any time. I was there in November 2012 and the only charges were for hiring snorkeling gear or drinking a beer/soft drink and it was not overcrowded. If you were BYO there were no charges.

However with more and larger ships cruising the islands, this is not an unnexpected development.

Jinek Bay was the best snorkelling we experienced!!! Amazing coral and so many fish!! No charge at all!! Mind you the snorkeling was good on the front side of the island as you can snorkel with the turtles there!!

See my pics here from a week ago:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151362489742016.1073741833.536017015&type=1&l=3f8a467266

I was on the Dawn last week and we were the first to be charged to snorkel at Jinek Bay. You had to pre purchase this on-board and it was limited to 100 people per session ie. 8-12 and 12-4 pm. At first I was a bit annoyed as I had been snorkelling at Jinek bay previously for free, but in hindsight it was so much safer now that they have built stairs and the money apparently goes to the locals. As for the capped numbers, good for those who get a ticket as it is not too crowded, but I would be bloody annoyed if I missed out.

• 1 month later...
I was on the Dawn last week and we were the first to be charged to snorkel at Jinek Bay. You had to pre purchase this on-board and it was limited to 100 people per session ie. 8-12 and 12-4 pm. At first I was a bit annoyed as I had been snorkelling at Jinek bay previously for free, but in hindsight it was so much safer now that they have built stairs and the money apparently goes to the locals. As for the capped numbers, good for those who get a ticket as it is not too crowded, but I would be bloody annoyed if I missed out.

Hope they spend some of the money educating the people getting in the water and trampling the coral to dust. I've been in the bay many times over the years and it's sad to see the state of parts of the bay now. It's still very good snorkling and hopefully these controls will go someway towards protecting whats left.

I'm actually there next week, can't wait to hear the whinging of the people who don't want to pay .

Archived