Queen Mary 2 - Eastbound Transatlantic - June 1, 2023 - Put yr sun hats on hopefully?

MobyandDick

My partner and I will be sailing for the 2nd time on QM2. Last time it was a Caribbean cruise. We loved it so much that we wanted to cross the pond on her. It was a great "Friends of Dorothy" group last time we sailed (in '07). We still keep in touch with some of the friends we made. We'd planned on this being a honeymoon cruise -- but we couldn't get our act together for a spring wedding. Spending a week in London on the other side. Haven't been there since 1990. Never been there with the other half.

Hi NYPeach, thank you very much for posting a message.

Nice to hear that you had a previous enjoyable trip on QM2. It is our first time on board of QM2 and we really look forward for a relxing and stylish week. We will have a few days in NY prior to our crossing, just to soak up some culture, great NY sub sandwiches and hopefully some sun rais in Central Park.

London is f-a-b-ou-lou-s! We live in Europe and visit London every year and I am sure that you will both enjoy the city. London has changed in many ways and actually the city did not change in other things. Do you have any plans set to do? Dining, theatre, museums, going out etc ???

I image that there are a few FriendsofDorothy (FoD) receptions while on board during our crossing? Sometimes we have found out while taking part at similar events, that some of these receptions are not always enjoyable, somtimes a little 'bitter'?

We are really looking forward meeting nice people regardless what or who they are, but on the other hand it would be nice to meet up with likewise FoDs.

Rds,

MobyandDick

• 2 weeks later...

Only a month to go! We are spending a week in London post cruise. Staying at Park Plaza Westminister Bridge. We are both theater obsessed so we're looking forward to lots of West End shows. I haven't been to London since 1990 -- before I met my partner. I was by myself last trip -- it'll be nice to spend time there with a loved one. Please let us know if you need any advice while you're in NYC before the QM2. We live "right on the runway" in Chelsea. We're not much for clubbing, but we know great restaurants and broadway shows (and ways to get discounts usually). Don't miss the High Line in Chelsea while you're in NYC. It's an elevated park which runs from Gansevoort Street to 30th Street. A truly unique experience. Looking forward to meeting you onboard. Like I said, the last time the FoDs were a great bunch. No bitter queens (or at least we kept them at bay). You're gonna love the QM2. If you want to treat yourselves, be sure to get the weeklong use of the Canyon Ranch spa pool on the first day. From what I've read it's about $100 per person for the voyage -- but well worth it. We did it last time and went twice a day every day.

Hello NY peach,

Thank you for the reply. Although we have not been on the QM2 we have had some cruise experience from Fort Lauderdalen on Royal Caribbean ( RCL) and also Mediterranean from Cyprus to lebennon ( Beruit) and syria just before it closed. certainly looking farward to

QM2 and the Pre stay in New York, we have both been to new york and find our way around with ease however some guidance on good restaurants around the Vilage, chelsea and Hell kitchen would be most welcome. we also are not much in for the Club scene but do enjoy a cosy Pub ort Bar if you know of any that would be great

You will have a grat stay in London it is so much changed in the last few years especialy the restaurant scene

Hello NY peach,

Thank you for the reply. Although we have not been on the QM2 we have had some cruise experience from Fort Lauderdalen on Royal Caribbean ( RCL) and also Mediterranean from Cyprus to Lebanon (Beirut) and Syria just before it closed. Certainly looking forward QM2 and the Pre stay in New York. We have both been to NY and find our way around with ease however some guidance on good restaurants around the Village, Chelsea and Hell's Kitchen would be most welcome. We also are not much in for the Club scene but do enjoy a cosy pub or bar if you know of any that would be great.

You will have a great stay in London. It is so much changed in the last few years especially the restaurant scene, of course its also good to find some places on your own but we have given a few places to eat pre and post theater ( supper) and lunch spots.

You may want look at the website for the Savoy Grill they have a pre theatre menu presently with really good prices and if you also book a show at the Savoy theatre that would be a bonus have a look at the link- http://www.gordonramsay.com/thesavoygrill/

For lunch : http://www.thewolseley.com/ in Mayfair in Picadilly "Fantastic"!!

For supper after theatre or night out: http://www.langansrestaurants.co.uk/ or http://www.cecconis.co.uk/ in Mayfair ( end of Burligton arcade)

Shopping :Oxford street, Bond street , http://www.trumpers.com In Jermyn Street ( Shirt Shops) and old barber shop called Trumpers on corner of Duke of York Street / for a treat!!

Afternoon tea has become very popular these days here are a couple of sugestions:

the Cavandish Hotel London, the Ritz Hotel, Claridges Hotel and of course Fortnum and Masons.

I could go on and on but you can't do it all, please do not be put of by the selection we have chosen, but know doubt you are aware pre theatre and luch dinner menu's can be very inexpensive in such places. You will of course need to book in advance.

We hope this will get you started.

Moby & Dick

Archived