Inadmissablity to enter Canada

I have searched the threads for this topic but want to hear recent experiences.

I had a conviction for a Driving Under the Influenece over 25 years ago and am well aware of Canada's stance on denying entry to Canada due to the fact that DUI is a felony in Canada. Even though it has been 25 years they can still deny me entry. I am in the process of filing for a "Rehabilitation" with the Canadian consulate and must say this is truly a daunting experience. I have obtained most of my info (so far State/Local Criminal checks..still awaiting FBI)..all state "NO record". Problem is Canada wants proof of all court records which I cannot obtain as it has been so many years they don't keep them. I am reluctant to pay Canada $200 only for them to tell me I have not sent them all required info.

We are booked on a NYC to LON cruise next May (2014) with 5 stops in Canada.

Has anyone experienced a denial of entry to Canada without their approval? If so has anyone gone through the process of getting approval? Do not tell me to have my record expunged in the US...doesn't work in Canada. Also my attorney at the time of conviction no longer has records. Thanks

``Do not tell me to have my record expunged in the US...doesn't work in Canada`

And that is because the US refuses to do the same for Canadians trying to get into the US - regrettably it`s a tit for tat situation that neither nation seems to want to sit down and work out a process.

A Canadian pardon is generally accepted in most countries EXCEPT the USA - a friend was quoted over $1000 to apply and hopefully get a waiver so the $200.00 is cheap - he decided to avoid the US.

Can you phone the consulate and explain the challenge

Good luck

Cheers

Dennis

Before going any further I would be inclined to wait and see what the FBI records indicate....if they come back "No Record". I wouldn't even begin the rehabilitation process....if the US authorities have no record, we won't have a record.

The other thing you you have going for you is that fact that the offense occurred some 25 years ago and after 10 years you are deemed "rehabilitated" without having to make application. The underlying issue is the individual CBS officer has absolute discretion who he/she admits and who she doesn't. I would bring along any documents you may have related to the offense in the event the matter comes up but you are under no obligation to bring the matter to the attention of the CBS officer.

Putterdude,

thanks so much for your reply..I have e-mailed you with other concerns but wanted to let you know I can sleep better tonight. Us folks in the Boston vicinity haven't had much sleep this week, been glued to TV...and when I think about it...my problem is so minute compared to the horror experienced by those affected at the Marathon.

Archived