Just off Caribbean Princess - Passengers save a life

Luvadayatsea

People from all over are good. Among the stories out of Boston's horror last week is that everyone injured will survive, in large part due to the number of ordinary people who ran TOWARD the blast sites, not away. They improvised tourniquets, literally held arteries, etc. Unimaginable heroism.

These are amazing stories about ordinary people who rose to the occasion...Bostonians should be proud....

Unless they are the Medical Staff, ship's staff would not interfere with ongoing resuscitation efforts. There should not be any break in the rhythm of the chest compressions. Once someone is "in charge" of the incident they remain that way until the EMT's arrive. This is basic CPR training procedure.

Sue

This was my thought as well. Someone obviously had the situation in hand and was doing the right thing so interference would only be counter productive.

Agree with Sue, at least this is what we are taught in my area....my mother, age 86, crawled out of her wheelchair to assist one of her friends, after she started choking on food and passed out due to lack of oxygen. My mother, crawled out of her wheelchair, got down on her hands and knees and took out the woman's dentures, tilted her head back and gave chest compressions. The woman expelled the chunk of food and began to breathe spontaneously...

The medical staff eventually arrived, but my mother already had gotten the woman back, and they allowed her to take charge till EMT's arrived...

That is a wonderful story. Your mom is a angel and a hero. Bless her and all those who chose to give aid to others in need.

Archived