Gratuities

marbre01

First timer with probably a silly question...

If you pre-pay the gratuity on a cruise, how do the service people know that you prepaid versus the people that didn't prepay? I like the prepay idea but don't want to recieve leers because I don't have cash in my hand.

Thanks all!

Most lines automatically add the gratuities to your sail account at the end of the cruise. For your steward and the dining staff, the tips are pre-figured and come out of your account at the end. You don't tip as you go, so the wait-staff and your room steward aren't expecting cash tips from you like you are used to on land.

The cruise line adds a suggested ammount to your account for tips. You can see the purser on the last night to add to or decrease this amount, depending on your view of the service. It has been my experience that they have earned every penny of the tip, we are generally treated very well.

Joe:

Some cruiselines allow you to prepay the gratuities in with your final payment..one less bill to worry about. But prepaying those tips you can adjsut them up or down once onboard..so if you get crappy service--too bad.

Joe:

Some cruiselines allow you to prepay the gratuities in with your final payment..one less bill to worry about. But prepaying those tips you can adjsut them up or down once onboard..so if you get crappy service--too bad.

Serene :D I know you meant to say that you CAN'T adjust the pre-paid tips. (Just wanted to clarify for the person who asked.)

You can adjust prepaid gratuities at any time. You simply need to contact the purser's desk and they will make the adjustment for you.

If you prepay before you checkin at the cruise terminal you cannot adjust them. This is also the only time you would receive document vouchers. It won't matter anyway as most cruiselines will be "paperless" by the end of next year.

We advise all of our clients about cruise line policies regarding pre paid gratuities. Carnival for example adds them automatically to your onboard account when you checkin at the pier unless you specify otherwise.

How do you go about pre-paying your gratuities, on Carnival, before you cruise when you book through...how do I go about this...I'll put it this way, I didn't book through Carnival or a travel agent?

Sharon-- You will be making a final payment to someone-- when you make final payment-- you send in your money for prepaying the tip.

Or you can just call 1-800-906-7603 and place the tip money on your shipboard account.

Thank you! One more question. I was planning on using our Christmas money to buy Carnival Fun Money (I think that's what it's called). Can I just call the 800 number and put the extra money on my account? We're going in April. When should I call them?

QUOTE=sandiegocruisedude]You can adjust prepaid gratuities at any time.

Ron, what you said may be confusing to the OP. Actually, you CANNOT adjust pre-paid gratuities.

"Pre-paid" is when you pay the gratuities when making final payment. These cannot be adjusted.

"Automatic tipping" is what is shown as the first item on the S&S account. These CAN be adjusted by seeing the purser.:)

Thank you! One more question. I was planning on using our Christmas money to buy Carnival Fun Money (I think that's what it's called). Can I just call the 800 number and put the extra money on my account? We're going in April. When should I call them?

you can call them anytime. We are cruising in February and I have been buying funship dollars each pay. to date I have 200.00

you can call them anytime. We are cruising in February and I have been buying funship dollars each pay. to date I have 200.00

Serene We are doing the same.

Sharon,

Just call a PVP and tell them you want to purchase funship dollars. You can either have them mailed to you, or placed on your account as a onboard credit. The amount you buy will show up if you select modify booking on CCL's website under My Reservation a day or two after you purchased them.

Have fun,

Tim

Archived