Soda on Board

Gabsabunch42

Hey everyone. I have a question about purchasing soda on board. We are going to take some on board with us, but since our cabin is so far down (the poor section, lol), We are thinking of getting the soda card for my daughter. I think I read that it is between $20 and $25 for the 7 day cruise, is that correct? If you don't get the card, I think I read on these boards that you can purchase soda by the cup, can, or bottle. Is this true, and if so, do you have to order all soda at a 'bartender', or are there machines for the cans and bottles. And also, can you tell me the prices. I just want to see what would be more worth it to her. I am not necessariliy looking for the cheapest, just the most convenient. I have heard that cruise workers tend to ignore those with soda cards. I have one more question about the soda (sorry!) What brand/kind of sodas do they offer? Thank you all so much for your help!

Carnival serves Coke products.

With tip on a 7-day cruise, a kid's soda card is under $25. You can purchase soda by the bottle but I don't recall the price. There are no soda machines on board. You must purchase through a bartender or dining room waiter.

What we have done is to take a few sodas on board for the adults and purchase cards for the kids. Sometimes the kids would get a soda and let us have a few sips of it.

Hey everyone. I have a question about purchasing soda on board. We are going to take some on board with us, but since our cabin is so far down (the poor section, lol), We are thinking of getting the soda card for my daughter. I think I read that it is between $20 and $25 for the 7 day cruise, is that correct? If you don't get the card, I think I read on these boards that you can purchase soda by the cup, can, or bottle. Is this true, and if so, do you have to order all soda at a 'bartender', or are there machines for the cans and bottles. And also, can you tell me the prices. I just want to see what would be more worth it to her. I am not necessariliy looking for the cheapest, just the most convenient. I have heard that cruise workers tend to ignore those with soda cards. I have one more question about the soda (sorry!) What brand/kind of sodas do they offer? Thank you all so much for your help!

Last month, on Destiny, the soda card was $28 for a child. Yes, you can buy soda by the can or bottle from the bartenders...I think a can was $1.75 or so, and a bottle was $2.50. They also have machines. You'll find the soda machines where ever the ice machines are. Out of the machine, the price was $1.50 They sell Coke products.

JMO...Your daughter would have to drink alot of soda to make the card worth it. I bought my soda out of the machine and kept it in my collapsable cooler. Next time, I'm bringing my soda on board....I think this is the most convenient and less expensive!

JMO...Your daughter would have to drink alot of soda to make the card worth it. I bought my soda out of the machine and kept it in my collapsable cooler. Next time, I'm bringing my soda on board....I think this is the most convenient and less expensive!

I am thinking this too. How much soda did you bring on board? We were thinking of a case or so (there are 4 of us). Thanks everyone!

Last month we brought on two 12-packs of cans and one 6-pack of bottles for 3 of us. We actually had a few cans left at the end of 7 days, which we left in the cabin for our steward. We each bought the Carnival/Coke covered tumbler at a bar and that comes with one can of soda, too. I think that was $6-7. We then used that tumbler for iced tea, water, juice from the buffet as well as for the soda from our room. It really wasn't any more trouble to go to the room for a soda than it was to go to the buffet to fill up with iced tea or to wait in line at a bar to get your tumbler refilled with the soda card.

Those of you that have brought soda onboard, did you bring this on the plane or buy in town before you got to the dock? My DH thinks it would not make it on the plane (?)

We are driving, so I can't answer for the flying question. Its a lot of weight, and something might happen to cause something to explode or leak. I would hate to have that happen! But I have read a few posts where folks checked in on the ship and went back off and bought soda and brought it back. I have no idea how that works. Hopefully someone that has done this can post for you.

You are allowed so many packs of soft drinks (6 packs ? ...need to check on the size) per person. Last month on the Triumph, there were coke machines by the ice machines. I can't remember if they were $1.00 or $1.50 but another poster said $1.50 on their ship so I would go by that. We didn't purchase a soda card on either of our cruises...didn't feel we would use it enough to justify it....not even our last cruise which included DD. If I were flying in, I'd wait and buy my cokes after I got there. The luggage handlers at the airport can be hard on your luggage sometimes and the cokes would be traveling in an unpressurized area of the airplane. I'm not sure how the contents of the coke containers would fare. I don't think you would be allowed to carry them in your carry on but someone else may know differently.

Those of you that have brought soda onboard, did you bring this on the plane or buy in town before you got to the dock? My DH thinks it would not make it on the plane (?)

Bringing it on the plane will go against your allowance. Carry on is allowed only one and most planes limit 2 pcs of luggage that are 50 pound limit. After you arrive at the airport grab a cab and ask him to stop at the grocery store to pick up soda-- which can be carried on.

, but since our cabin is so far down (the poor section, lol), !

You will not be able to use the soda card for room service. I guess I didnt understand what you mean that its too far down. There will be free iced tea, lemonade and fruit punch on the lido deck also choc milk. There are some juices you can order for room service too..

Kids under 12 get free soda in the dining room only.

We drove to the port last fall also and brought our collapsible cooler loaded with a case of DH's Dr. Pepper. It was not questioned or frowned upon...actually, it was very easy to just carry it onboard with us for check-in. This fall though, I think that I will pick up one of the soft sided coolers on wheels that's a little bigger, fill it up, and just send it with our checked luggage when dropping it at the pier. It is definitely cheaper to just buy a case of whatever and stick it in a cooler than to pay the $2.50 per bottle of Coke....that adds up fast!! If you find that you get low during your cruise just pick up more when you are in port and carry it back on the ship with you. Plus, at the end of your cruise you can use the empty cooler to stash all your t-shirts you buy in port to carry home...hahaha!!!

Excellent thread. Good question on can we bring our own container for the drinks.

Also....how much is the adult's soda card for a 4 day cruise? Is there a beer card? Serious question, but LOL!

For the punch / iced tea / etc, are we allowed to bring our own (44oz+) containers to fill them? Just curious, 'cause I hate going back time and time again.

You can bring a cup of that size.. just know that it wont fit under the little nozzle. You will have to fill it with a smaller cup. I have a 20 ounce that didnt fit and thats the way I needed to fill it.

.... Is there a beer card? Serious question, but LOL!

you can bring your own cups..actually I recommend that you do since the cups they give you are very small. Beer card?? no. Carnival does sell drink coupons 4 for 19.95 and soda coupons 4 for 6.something.

My brother got an extra suitcase just for a case of beer and then he used the suitcase for soverniers for coming home.

LOL! Extra suitcase for the beer!

Ok, so there's NO problem with Carnival if we bring our own soda and beer?

Thanks!

Well, the soda no....the beer on the other hand needs to be brought aboard discretely. They "technically" don't allow alcohol to be brought onboard due to it cutting into their bar profits. If you do a search on these boards for smuggling alcohol you will hear it all. I read a good one about someone going to the liquor store in town before boarding...bought a case of beer and told the employee to gift wrap it b/c it was a present and then carried it right through embarkation with him and noone looked twice at it. Now, that's a good idea!!! hahaha!!

LOL! Extra suitcase for the beer!

Ok, so there's NO problem with Carnival if we bring our own soda and beer?

Thanks!

Soda/water and wine can be carried onboard. Beer and other alcohol better be smuggled into your checked luggage. If you attempt to carry it on with you you stand a chance of it being confiscated.

LOL I love the gift wrapped idea! It's a present to themselves!

There's no chance my husband would ever stop drinking soda. I am not a big soda drinker, but he drinks a ton of it. Glad he's got good teeth!

Thanks for the input!

I'm sure someone will answer you question about the cost of an adult soda card, but you can also go to Carnival's website...look under FAQ section and you should find it there. It's a set per day fee times the number of days of your cruise.

Archived