Live From the Navigator - NY to Iceland

It looks like there was a malfunction with one of the four engines. As a result we are running at reduced speed (about 12-13 knots instead of the normal crusing speed of about 18 knots).

As a result we have omitted the short port stop at Heimaey. We should arrive Reykjavik on time at 7 AM Friday. That would give them a day and a half to repair the engine that has the problem. The captain indicated that the repairs could be made at Reykjavik in time for the departure of the next leg.

We have an all day tour in Reykjavic, then we disembark Saturday morning.

We received a $100 per person onboard credit for the missed port stop.

Mshapiro

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond from the ship. Am thrilled to hear about the Rabb’s (his wife should be the Asst Cruise Director and generally does the bridge tour. They told me that they began as cruise ship singers and later went into Cruise Directing). They are wonderful. We were in cabin 863 and they were located aft of us in one of the end cabins and often ran into them.

I actually meant to say the Restaurant Manager or person responsible for all food and beverage services in all the dining venues.

Yes Frank is the golf pro (also travels with his wife) – another great couple.

On our Bermuda trip June 2, 2004 there were 441 passengers but all the cabins we full this being due to the great deal given of single passengers -only a $100 supplement! Currently the rates have gone up about $600 pp for the lowest cat and a single supplement is an additional 30%. SO we did get a great deal last year.

Still am looking forward to this August repeat cruise to Bermuda on Navigator.

Jeanne

I was on an Eastern Caribbean cruise aboard Navigator in April. Same thing happened, we lost one of the four engines. It reduced the speed of the ship from just under 20 knots to about 17.5. Most of the hops were quite short on that cruise, and it did not have much effect on the schedule. The problem was repaired in a few days, certainly before the return leg to Ft lauderdale.

I spoke briefly with the captain a few minutes ago. The problem was with the gearbox for one of the engines. They have the parts onboard to fix it, and should be able to make the repair in Reykjavik before the scheduled departure time for the second leg of the cruise. (They have to shut down both engines on that side to make the repair.)

Mark

We,too, are anticipating your 'comparison reporting' upon your return.

We did one cruise on Voyager. We had a booking for WC'06 on Crystal

--a favorite--& changed it to Voyager due to the itinerary. Now we

are double thinking our decision and I think that Crystal has already

sold out the Cape Town to Dubai leg we withdrew from. Oh my!

We just got back from the all day Grand Circle Tour of the major tourist spots here in Iceland. Even though it was a chilly and cloudy day, it was an excellent tour -- took many, many pictures.

I haven't heard anything more about the engine problem, but I assume that it will be fixed by departure time tomorrow. (We fly home tomorrow....)

I will post a lengthy review after I return home.

We are safely home from our NY - Reykjavik cruise. Our Icelandair flight to Minneapolis was an hour and half late departing. We sat on the ground for a long time waiting for about 40 members of a music group whose flight from Oslo to Reykjavik was late owing to equipment problems. Fortunately, we arrived in sufficient time to make our Los Angele flight on Northwest. There were many other passengers on the flight who missed their connections because of Icelandair's decision to wait for the latecomers.

Dear Michael,

I hope to have a full review posted in a few days. I did post a brief review in the "members reviews" section last night, but because of the space limitations in that section it is not complete.

Archived