Any advice for a first time cruiser?

gkrnjlr

Any advice? Big or small? We don't know what questions to ask, so none of the advice would be not needed.

We're sailing on 9/5 on the Fascination and going to Key West and Cozumel.

Any and all advice/suggestions - PLEASE!!!!

Thanks!

I'm sure you'll get lots of answers to a question like that. My advice:

1. go with the flow - don't let little things bother you - and enjoy your cruise!

2. do your research - starting with these boards, you'll find a wealth of information about your ship, your ports, and cruising.

3. plan shore excursions, but allow yourself some flexibility and some down time. It's way too easy to try to pack a lifetime's worth of activities into a day in port. Pick one thing that interests you for this trip and save the others for another trip.

4. meet new people and enjoy your fellow guests. Read the Capers everynight and choose a few activities that sound interesting. Get involved with something on the ship and create some memories.

5. be prepared to get hooked on cruising and becoming a regular member of Cruise Critics! :D

I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't take an excursion that appeals to you just because it's your first cruise.

Our first time in Coz, we rented a car and drove to San Gervasio to see the ruins, then back downtown for shopping. On our second trip there, we took the Discover Scuba class. On our third, a cooking class. Last month, we did the Mini-Golf, lunch, and shopping thing. There are many choices in Coz - do something you like to do.

Go with reasonable expectations and don't sweat the small stuff - life is rarely perfect and neither is a cruise.

Kathy7558 told you of the more civilized shore excursions so I'll go the other way.

Twice now we've done the Fury Catamaran Sail & Snorkle trip. It is fun, wild but fun.

You board the catamaran and "sail" to a spot about 30 minutes away where you get about 45 minutes of so-so snorkeling. Next you go to a beach spot where you can buy food and beverages. That is fun and relaxing. The trip home is when the party begins. The drink really begins to flow, the music is going and everyone gets "festive". The crew is very friendly and they get everyone involved in the party. I think it's a lot of fun.

If you've never shopped in Mexico I'd make two suggestions.

Stay with the Carnival approved stores.

Never, never never pay the asking price for any major purchase.

Whatever you do there you're going to love Cozumel.

Choose a cruise knowing what you like. If you want a quiet get away, stay away from summer cruises and school vacations. This is when the majority of families with children travel -- for the obvious reasons.

The longer the cruise and when school is in session --- the fewer children on board. The average age of traveler goes up as well. So if you want to cruise with the 20 something crowd. Choose a shorter cruise.

Take lots of pictures. When you get home and look at your pictures months later you can remember all of the fun times that were had on your cruise. I love to dig out my photo albums from previous cruises, it just gets me even more excited for our next one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great time!! Chanda :)

THe best advise here isto be able to go with the flow- Sailing in September is hurricane season...so be prepared for anything. Change of port more time on the cruise...etc etc. Small things if left to bother you can ruin a cruise.

For stuff to do in Cozumel- check out http://www.cozumelinsider.com

Lots of great things to do in Cozumel - search here on the Carnival site or go to the Cozumel Port Guide and search....you will find something that will appeal to you. We did something in every port on our first cruise, all booked independantly and our first port of MOBAY we did on our own - with guidance from fellow CCers. I have used this site and many others here recommend it. They were great to us as first timers and will use them again!www.Cozumelinsider.com

Cozumel Port Board - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

Good luck and have fun. DO NOT miss out on a port because it is your first cruise - take in all that you can. :cool:

Wow, what great information. Thanks!

I did look at some of the websites that were posted. Would you recommend booking excursions through the ship or through the companies that run/operate them?

Thanks!

Booking excursions using private vendors will be cheaper. You have to see if there is a time difference from the port compared to the ship. Ships will stay on ships time. Some ports are an hour or 2 behind that. Knowing that information will give you the options of booking the tour ya want. At the time-- Cozumel is 1 hour behind Florida time. http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/76649.html

How much money should we plan on taking for "whatever" for a 4 day cruise? Not including beer, soda, etc.

I know that there are a lot of things that are available to purchase/do on the ship, but just a general ball park. This question is probably not an easy one to answer - but based on your own experiences?

Also, I was told that there were vegas style/type shows, etc. Are there cover charges or anything to get into them?

Thx

I will be taking my 6th cruice Sept 10 on the Glory, and cant wait. I do remember our first so well!! We got there early around 2:00 and after boarding we went to our room and waited for our luggage. And waited and waited. We didnt know we didnt need to wait!! Now we get on around 12:30 -1:00 and go eat some lunch and check out our room and the ship. So much to see and you will be lost for the first 4 days on a four day cruise. All shows are FREE!!! Free FOOD Free Dancing in all the clubs. We even go to the clubs to hear the music that we dont even listen to at home!! Take along a yellow highlite pin. In the eve, they will give you a paper with every thing going on the next day, Highlite some of the things you might like to do and keep it with you the next day. You can plan out things you might like, or just do nothing. Thats whats so GREAT about cruising. My first cruise a friend told me to take a small sholder purse. Best thing I was ever told. You need to keep your sign & sale card with you at all times. Its also you key to get in to your room. If you have it in a small purse you can wear you will always have it with you. When we go to the pool I put my card inside my shoe. I dont think any one will want to get into my shoe to look for it.. HA HA.. Have a great time Panda from Ohio

The only time you will need money on the ship is to gamble with. If you use a credit card then you can just take care of it when you get home. When we go we spend between300.00 and 1000.00 The last time hubby got a very nice watch. And we like the slots we will spend about 30.00 a night there. That is on a 5 or 7 day cruise. Your drinks is where they get you for extra money. I am a ice tea drinker so I take my own mug with me and just keep filling up on tea. Also all free... My hubby likes to save all his change in a jar before we go. The first cruise he saved over 700.00 about a year. I saved 20.00 Last year he saved 500.00, I saved 120.00. I'm doing better!! Have fun This next cruise I am taking a 6 pack of water and paybe a few pespi with me. More money for the slots Ha Ha.... Have fun Panda

The single best piece of advice we ever got was here on these boards....whenever possible fly into your departure city one day ahead of sailaway. On our first cruise we were unable to do this...between getting up at 3 am to leave for the airport, our flight then being delayed for one hour, worrying about missing our ship, etc., by the time we finally boarded we were exhausted. On our second cruise we flew into Miami one day early, checked into a hotel, had a short nap, went to Bayside Marketplace, relaxed and had fun. Next day, we had a leisurely breakfast, took a shuttle to the port and were among the earliest to board. What a difference that one day made. We'll never be able to say "thanks" enough times to the people here who suggested doing this. Paul

gkrnjlr -

If you have any specific ?? about Fascination - just ask or you can email me at rkemp66@yahoo.com - and I would be more than happy to help. We were just on that one in April - LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT!!!!!!!!! Our first cruise also. We loved Key West, just walked around and shopped and drank and walked around some more.

Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach - loved it - very very clean beach with spotless restrooms and great food and drink - nice people here also! Then we shopped, had snacks, and got back on the ship.

My biggest suggestion - go with the attitude that you are on VACATION - and smile. Nothing in life is perfect - not even vacation. Be real nice to the staff - I work in the restaurant world - some days are tough - they deserve a smile and lots ofthank you's also - (some extra cash would be spendid:D !).

But in general - just relax and have FUN.

Do you have your cabin assignment yet? We were on the Verandah Deck - V20. Loved it.

Robin

Also, when you read negative reviews about a specific ship. Keep in mind that many times someone else will write a review about the same ship and same sailing and it could be the best cruise they have ever taken. I try to read their specific complaints/comments and see if they matter to me. Have fun

Our first time in Cozumel was March 2005. We went horseback riding, on a shore excursion booked through the cruise line. We had a blast! While this was not an equestrian's dream, we are not equestrians. It was something different, something we would never do at home, and got us to see parts of Cozumel we wouldn't normally see (bus to and from the pier).

Our plan was to do something completely different. Mission accomplished. You don't need to be an experienced rider.

Archived