Carnival put up more Sydney tours - is this worth it?

I saw that Carnival put up a few more tours. Expensive though. The one to the coal museum is $80 each. Now can't you take a bus there for $3 or is it complicated? Don't want to get lost. LOL

I'm glad you mentioned that Carnival added additional excursions for Sydney. We were also thinking about visiting the Coal Miner museum by public transportation. $80 does sound expensive. The Heart of the island tour looks interesting.

Here is detailed information from previous posts about taking the bus. You should be aware of our Maritime culture which is to be very friendly and to help people out. If you are confused or lost, just ask. People will go out of their way to help.

My sister in law lives in Charlottetown and was once asked for directions from two people on a cruise. She ended up taking them for a tour in her car and all had a wonderful time.

http://www.minersmuseum.com/mine_tour.htm How to get there by bus: You can easily take a bus.

We berthed at the Sydney Marine Terminal located at the corner of York and Esplanade. You are in town. There really isn't much of note in the town itself. You've got to get out of town. Fortunately, they have good local bus service. We set our sights on The Miners' Museum (a AAA Gem) located in nearby Glace Bay. They are open 10:00am - 6:00pm and costs $6 pp + Mine Tour $6 pp. The bus stop is about 4 blocks from the pier. Take Esplanade to Dorchester to George. Wait at the glass-enclosed bus stop on Dorchester just short of George Street. Take the #1 Glace Bay bus at 9:00am. It may arrive early but it will wait and leave on the hour. The ride takes about 50 minutes. Once you arrive in Glace Bay, get off on Commercial (between Marconi and York, across the street from Tim Hortons). Walk downhill on Commercial St. Commercial becomes South after you cross over a stream. Continue on South St and turn left at Birkley St. The museum will be straight ahead, about 2 blocks. (Total walk is 1.1 km, which will take you about 20 minutes). You will see occasional signage.

The Miners' Museum has a movie and exhibits on coal mining, methods, tools, and history. The real value in visiting the museum is the tour, led by retired coal miners who share with you their coal mining experiences. You go underground into a 1932 'room and pillar' coal mine where you will see coal-lined walls and learn from a true insider about the mining methods and working conditions. He will share his stories with you as you enter one tunnel after another. The tour is advertised to last 20 minutes. Our 10-person tour lasted at least an hour. Highly recommended!

Catch the return bus on Marconi Street, near where you arrived, at Noon or 1:00pm (and arrive 1 hour later). If you get back to the bus stop a little early, stop in at Tim Hortons for a fresh Krispy Kreme-style doughnut or muffin, and coffee or hot chocolate.

Cost for the bus was $3.25pp 1 way (except Saturdays where all fares are just 1 Loonie). Discount bus fare books of $13.75 can be bought for $12.50 at any Shoppers Drug Mart store or Sydney Citizen Service Centre (320 Esplanade in Sydney 8:30am - 4:30pm). Allow a total of 6 hours for this excursion (1.5 hours for the bus and walk each way and 3 hours for the museum and mine tour). http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1768421 What to do in 5 Canadian Ports: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/constellation.html

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Esplanade,+Sydney,+NS&daddr=Dorchester+Street,+Sydney,+NS&hl=en&ll=46.139478,-60.190873&spn=0.007538,0.021136&sll=46.134965,-60.190881&sspn=0.015078,0.042272&geocode=FTYPwAIdl3dp_CmH2p5VKftnSzGi1NYfQuHwCg%3BFeAQwAIdzYRp_ClP3jvkLftnSzH_scGL2RLwxw&oq=georg&dirflg=w&mra=pr&t=m&z=16

Maryann,

Thank you for the directions. I didn't realize that 3 hours would be needed for the tour either.

Looking into a couple of other options, Higland Village and the Alexander Graham Bell museum. These would be separate excursions. Any information/advice on these?

Thanks so much!

I am not that thrilled about the excursions in Sydney. Either too expensive or not worth it. I was wondering about the pink bus thing. I wonder if we can just hop on it without having to go through Carnival?

I am not aware of a pink bus in Sydney. The town itself is not all that exciting. It is the scenery and the history and culture that make Cape Breton such a famous destination.

Unfortunately, cruise ships do not stay long enough to let you drive around the entire Cabot Trail.

Austerity measures have caused Fortress Louisbourg to not be fully open except in July and August. They do often put on special tours for Cruise Ships.

Renting a car and going to Baddeck to see the Alexander Graham Bell Museum and then proceeding on to Iona and the Highland Village would make for a great day. This is a scenic drive and the museums are interesting.

Here is the route I would take. If you take a ships tour you would probably return the way you came and probably not stop for some of the wonderful photo opportunities.

http://*******/ReGGvF

• 2 months later...
I am not aware of a pink bus in Sydney. The town itself is not all that exciting. It is the scenery and the history and culture that make Cape Breton such a famous destination.

Unfortunately, cruise ships do not stay long enough to let you drive around the entire Cabot Trail.

Austerity measures have caused Fortress Louisbourg to not be fully open except in July and August. They do often put on special tours for Cruise Ships.

Renting a car and going to Baddeck to see the Alexander Graham Bell Museum and then proceeding on to Iona and the Highland Village would make for a great day. This is a scenic drive and the museums are interesting.

Here is the route I would take. If you take a ships tour you would probably return the way you came and probably not stop for some of the wonderful photo opportunities.

http://*******/ReGGvF

Maryann, I can't open the link above. Would you mind describing the route you are recommending? Thanks.

Archived