About to book a flight ... what to know!!

Xcitdcruiser

You want to put the AA FF number on all flights, because as stated an "O" fare on a Qantas-numbered flight will earn 50% AA miles and an "O" fare on AA-numbered flights will earn 100% of AA miles. "O" fares credited to Qantas mileage accounts will earn 0% miles, regardless of the flight number or airline designation.
Actually, if the ADL-SYD flight is a QF flight number and booked in O class, then in the QF scheme it will earn 100% with a minimum of 1,000 QF points.

But it's different for different airlines. That's why in the QF scheme an AA coded O class flight earns 0%, and a BA coded O class flight earns 25%, etc. The QF scheme has a pretty good chart at http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/program/terms#jump25.

Nevertheless, specifying a different frequent flyer scheme for different sectors of the journey is waaaay beyond most travel agents' abilities.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!! You have all been a great help!

The AA Challenge - we are hoping to travel next year, so if we decide to go ahead I will sign up for it next year - lucky we lots of time!

AA FF - will make the request for the TA to replace the QF FF with AA FF on all legs. The booking has come up in "My Bookings' in the Qantas site, so I may be able to check whether it gets doen or not. I will follow up with AA in the following weeks to ensure it gets done correctly.

Now, rather than go to the specific 'seat' forums I thought I'd try my luck here. I've found that AA7308 = QF 7 (SYD to DFW). This is operated by a B747-400. That is fine, BUT before i can see the seat plan, it states that the 'flight could be serviced by one of the following configurations' it then has in brackets a variety of numbers for ex. (14, 52, 32, 255) or (56,356). My guess is that these numbers reflect the different seats in each category. But how do i know which applies to my flight??

Futhermore, another forum has what appears to be a helpful 'sticky' with the ultimate seat guide - but i don't undertsand the 'no of classes' - although i think the 'class I'd be looking for is 'Y'. Or is it better I simply post over there?

Never though there would be a whole world about this !!

We will be on our honeymoon, ideally we would have 'twosome' with windows. SeatGuru indicates that these are available, but i now doubt i am looking at the incorrect aircraft (Boeing 747-400RR 3-Class V2)

With seat selections, I assume the TA would put in the request for me? Or am I able to do it online?

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!! You have all been a great help!

The AA Challenge - we are hoping to travel next year, so if we decide to go ahead I will sign up for it next year - lucky we lots of time!

AA FF - will make the request for the TA to replace the QF FF with AA FF on all legs. The booking has come up in "My Bookings' in the Qantas site, so I may be able to check whether it gets doen or not. I will follow up with AA in the following weeks to ensure it gets done correctly.

Now, rather than go to the specific 'seat' forums I thought I'd try my luck here. I've found that AA7308 = QF 7 (SYD to DFW). This is operated by a B747-400. That is fine, BUT before i can see the seat plan, it states that the 'flight could be serviced by one of the following configurations' it then has in brackets a variety of numbers for ex. (14, 52, 32, 255) or (56,356). My guess is that these numbers reflect the different seats in each category. But how do i know which applies to my flight??

Futhermore, another forum has what appears to be a helpful 'sticky' with the ultimate seat guide - but i don't undertsand the 'no of classes' - although i think the 'class I'd be looking for is 'Y'. Or is it better I simply post over there?

Never though there would be a whole world about this !!

We will be on our honeymoon, ideally we would have 'twosome' with windows. SeatGuru indicates that these are available, but i now doubt i am looking at the incorrect aircraft (Boeing 747-400RR 3-Class V2)

With seat selections, I assume the TA would put in the request for me? Or am I able to do it online?

This far out there's no way in Hello to know what planes Qantas may be using, or in what configuration. Some Qantas planes have two classes of service, others three, others four (economy, premium economy, business and first.) I wouldn't even dream of trying to do seat selections this early.

You need to ask your TA to give you both the Qantas and the American Airlines "record locators" - the six-character booking reference numbers for your flights. Qantas' record locator will be a mixture of numbers and letters like AB12CD, AA's will be all letters, like ABCDEF (the two airlines use different computer booking systems.)

Seat selection needs to be made with the operating airline, so you'll need the Qantas code to go online and use their "manage my booking" function. You won't have elite status when you do this, so you may have to pay for advance seat selection on Qantas-operated flights.

Use the AA record locator online with AA.com and you can select your seats on the AA-operated flights, i.e. those to/from SJU.

First, you should have at least two booking references (or locators). One should work on the Qantas website and the other should work on the AA website. You may have a third, which would be your TA's system's reference. Some trial and error may be necessary to find out which one is which.

If you can access your booking through either of the airline websites, you may be able to see the seat map for your cabin on each sector by using the function to select a seat.

The premium economy cabin is often referred to as the W cabin, if you're stumped by the abbreviations used elsewhere.

FWIW, the QF7/AA7308 sector is currently showing this for me (taken from the two different airline systems). This will be subject to change, as Gardyloo says. As a couple, you definitely want a window/aisle pair. Personally, I think I would be wanting a pair on the left hand (AB) side because it'll be the shady side when the sun rises in the morning, when it really counts. One disadvantage of this is that the left hand aisle of a 747 tends to disembark more slowly than the right hand aisle.

I expect that (as Gardyloo also says) you're likely to have a better result using the QF system to select a seat through the booking that you can access there.

Seat Map Search:
Departing SYD on 13/02/14 for DFW
Flying QF flight 7 in Premium Economy

A   B       D   E   F   G       J   K   
34  W   X   X                                   W   
35  W   X   X                                   W   
36  W   +   +       +   +   +   +       H   +   W   
37  W   +   +       X   X   X   X       H   +   W   
38  W   +   +       +   +   +   +       H   +   W   
39      +   +       X   X   X   X       +   +       

Seat Map Search:
Flying AA flight 7308 in Prem. Economy (Codeshares Only)

34  W   -   -                                   W   
35  W   -   -                                   W   
36  W   +   +       +   +   +   +       H   +   W   
37  W   +   +       +   +   +   +       H   +   W   
38  W   +   +       +   +   +   +       H   +   W   
39      +   +       +   +   +   +       +   +       

Seats
Premium Only             P                        
Available                +                        
Handicap-Accessible      H                        
Paid & Premium           #                        
Occupied                 -                        
Blocked                  X                        
Lavatory                 L                        
Paid                     $                        

Wing                     W                        
Upper Deck               U                        

Ok.. I'm making progress & learning a hell of lot!

I have all 3 x booking references / locators. My focus is trying to get seat allocation for the SYD-DFW return route seeing as that will be the most painful.

Went onto Qantas, manage my booking & had the error come up ' Your flight is not eligible for Advance Seat Selection however you can nominate aisle or window seat preference'. I called Qantas (twice - spoke to 2 x diff consultants) & they advised as my flight is AA ticketed they are unable to select a seat for me. Even if I paid. They say that it's a downfall of codeshare. They simply cannot access my booking. So...

I logged into AA & can only see the DFW-SJU return leg. I called AA & they say that they physically cannot see the seat plan as the flight is operated by Qantas. I asked to sepak to someone who may have more knowledge. She was the supervisor & advise that no one can help me. She took down my seat requests (69 A+B).

So, it looks like the downfall of codeshare is that no one can allocate a seat for me. It will only be able to be done when I check in at the airport. I wonder if I have the AA 30 Day Pass & I request some addisiton help at the ADL Lounge whether they can do more for me then....

And the other thing Qantas said is that although the configurations/aircraft may change, it will not affect the economy seats. So I guess I have my heart on 69-72 A+B! (same seats recommended on the return?) Or any recommendations on the seats between DFW-SJU?

Globaliser, how/where did you get those coded 'Seat Maps' - are you able to have a quick look at economy? ...or I'm happy to learn & search myself.

So, any further thoughts / suggestions? And have I mentioned how great you have both been? Thank you, thank you than you!!

Globaliser, how/where did you get those coded 'Seat Maps' - are you able to have a quick look at economy?
Sorry, that was a case of major brain fade; for some reason I'd got it into my head that you were flying in premium economy. The seat maps come from a subscription service: http://www.expertflyer.com. Here are the ones for the economy cabin.

It looks to me like you may have had your request actioned, as 69AB are now marked as occupied on both the QF and AA seat maps. Go to your bookings in both the QF and AA websites to see whether or not they say anything about this. Only you can get access to the information as to whether they are marked occupied by you.

Seat Map Search:
Flying QF flight 7 in Economy

A   B   C       D   E   F   G       H   J   K   
43      +   +   +       X   X   X   X       +   +   +       
44      X   X   X       X   X   X   X       X   X   X       
46  E   X   X   X       X   X   X   X       X   X   X   E   
47  W   X   X   X       X   X   X   X       X   X   X   W   
48  W   +   +   +       H   +   +   +       +   +   +   W   
49  W   X   X   X       X   X   X   X       X   X   X   W   
50  W   +   +   -       H   +   +   +       +   +   +   W   
51      X   X   X       X   X   X   X       X   X   X       
52      +   -   +       -   -   -   -       +   +   +       
53      X   X   X       X   X   X   X       X   X   X       
54      +   +   +       H   +   +   +       +   +   +       
55      X   X   X       X   X   X   X       X   X   X       
56      +   +   +                           +   +   +       

58  E   X   X   X                                       E   
59      X   X   X                                           
60      +   +   +       X   X   X   X       +   +   +       
61      X   X   X       H   +   +   +       X   X   X       
62      +   +   +       X   X   X   X       +   +   +       
63      X   X   X       H   +   +   +       X   X   X       
64      +   +   +       X   X   X   X       +   +   +       
65      X   X   X       H   +   +   +       X   X   X       
66      +   +   +       X   X   X   X       +   +   +       
67      X   X   X       H   +   +   +       X   X   X       
68      +   +   +       X   X   X   X       +   +   +       
69      -   -           H   +   +   +           +   +       
70      +   +           X   X   X   X           +   +       
71      +   +           H   +   +   +           +   +       
72      +   +           X   X   X   X           +   +       
73      +   +           H   +   +   +           +   +       
74                      X   X   X   X                       
75  E                   H   +   +   +                   E   

Seat Map Search:
Flying AA flight 7308 in Economy

43      -   -   -       -   -   -   -       -   -   -       
44      -   -   -       -   -   -   -       -   -   -       
46  E   -   -   -       -   -   -   -       -   -   -   E   
47  W   -   -   -       -   -   -   -       -   -   -   W   
48  W   -   -   -       -   -   -   -       -   -   -   W   
49  W   -   -   -       -   -   -   -       -   -   -   W   
50  W   -   -   -       -   -   -   -       -   -   -   W   
51      -   -   -       -   -   -   -       -   -   -       
52      +   -   +       -   -   -   -       +   +   +       
53      +   +   +       H   +   +   +       +   +   +       
54      +   +   +       H   +   +   +       +   +   +       
55      +   +   +       H   +   +   +       +   +   +       
56      +   +   +                           +   +   +       

58  E   -   -   -                                       E   
59      X   X   X                                           
60      X   X   X       -   -   -   -       X   X   X       
61      X   X   X       H   +   +   +       X   X   X       
62      X   X   X       H   +   +   +       X   X   X       
63      X   X   X       H   +   +   +       X   X   X       
64      +   +   +       H   +   +   +       +   +   +       
65      +   +   +       H   +   +   +       +   +   +       
66      +   +   +       H   +   +   +       +   +   +       
67      +   +   +       H   +   +   +       +   +   +       
68      +   +   +       H   +   +   +       +   +   +       
69      -   -           H   +   +   +           +   +       
70      +   +           H   +   +   +           +   +       
71      +   +           H   +   +   +           +   +       
72      -   -           -   -   -   -           -   -       
73      -   -           -   -   -   -           -   -       
74                      -   -   -   -                       
75  E                   -   -   -   -                   E   

Thank you!!! How weird. When I called AA she took down my preferences (i actually had asked for 70 A+B but doesn't matter) & stated that is was only a 'note' in the system not a confirmation. Then I called Qantas back & they actually stated that there was a request for seat 69A+B without me saying anything. She then was a little rude & said that I will only get the seats if i paid the $25 each seat, each way & wasn't able to take payment....

Just jumped in AA & it states that my seats are 'unassigned'-when I head into the seat selector area it only gives me the option of DFW-SJU flights.

In Qantas it also says 'unassigned' & giving me the same error as before. mmm...

I wonder whether they are mine or by pure chance someone else has grabbed them...would it be worth me changing them to 70A+B..maybe I've over thinking this whole thing..

Also, if you don't mind me asking, do you work in the travel industry? I don't think any TA I've dealt has known so much...like...ever!

Also, what does the code 'blocked' (x) mean?

She then was a little rude & said that I will only get the seats if i paid the $25 each seat, each way & wasn't able to take payment....

Also, if you don't mind me asking, do you work in the travel industry? I don't think any TA I've dealt has known so much...like...ever!

Also, what does the code 'blocked' (x) mean?

I have to say that I have no idea how the payment for seat allocation thing works when you're booked on an AA code on a QF operated flight. I hope someone else might be able to help with that.

If you can't see those seats in your bookings, then the chances are that it's someone else who's had the same idea as you. If you really want one of those pairs, then frankly I would pay for them to make sure of them, if that's what you need to do - and particularly if they're the same price as other economy seats. They are highly sought after; BA, for example, charges more for those pairs than for standard economy seats.

A blocked seat is one that is being held back by the airline and can't be allocated (unless the airline releases the block). So, for example, some airlines block certain good seats for top tier frequent flyers. Other airlines automatically block the seat next to a top tier frequent flyer - because something has to be done manually to put someone next to them, it means that typically those seats will be the last to have people put in them, thus increasing the chances that the top tier member will have an empty seat next to them.

Nothing to do with the industry, though - this is all stuff that I have picked up from being a passenger. I'm not even a frequent flyer - I usually average about one sector a week over the course of a year but the real frequent flyers will probably do five to ten times that number. On another forum, you'll find many people with much greater expertise, some of it because they do currently work for the airlines they post about.

Hello!

It appears that I have been able to book the seats - without paying. I called AA & they allocated seats for me 69A+B for the SYD-DFW leg & then for DFW-SYD 70A+B. Are you able to check this leg for me?

I can only see these confirmed allocations in Qantas Manage my booking sectionif I use the AA reference number to log in. (Does not come up if i log on with the QF reference number). I think i may have found a loop hole?

Only time will tell whether this has worked, but i will print a screen shot to take to the airport when I check in.

THANK YOU so much for all your help. I feel like I am so much wiser!

It appears that I have been able to book the seats - without paying. I called AA & they allocated seats for me 69A+B for the SYD-DFW leg & then for DFW-SYD 70A+B. Are you able to check this leg for me?
I can see that your SYD-DFW flight is showing 69AB as occupied on both QF7 and AA7308, and your DFW-SYD flight is showing 70AB as occupied on both QF8 and AA7375. The situation on the latter flight is a change from the information I posted for you elsewhere a day or two ago.

Obviously, I can't see who they've been allocated to, but all that would be consistent with the allocations being to you, and with the DFW-SYD having been done recently.

It's useful to know that there could be two locators that do different things on the QF website in a situation like this - thank you!

Archived