Planning for my 9/21/13 on-island wedding, Half Moon Cay

Hey y'all!!! I just wanted to say thank you to all of my fellow brides on here, you guys have helped soooo much!! So I figured I'd post a little update on how things are going over here. I'm getting married on the Carnival Ecstasy sailing from Port Canaveral to Nassau/Half Moon Cay leaving Sept 19. Actually wedding day is Sept 21 in Half Moon Cay. I'm doing the 2-hour reception with a DJ. I will end up with about 60 wedding guests and probably 50 more non-attending but kinda friends as well! :eek:

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to bring my own photographer, I really don't like how Carnival tries to get you to spend all this money for these pictures and I don't know about you but I don't want 100 8x10s. I have a photographer friend coming that i will pay for, which will take pictures for the entire 4 day cruise for under $900. YES! I also plan on doing my own hair/makeup since well I am a hairstylist/makeup artist. I would never trust anyone to do that on me! lol

I ended up just emailing everyone details of the cruise, didn't want to bother with invites, especially for the cruise reason/booking. I will however print up some small pamphlets I guess of all the cruise details/wedding stuff, but thats got to wait cuz they don't tell you the times till way later. Oh well.

Here are some of my ideas and/or purchases already....

Just bought 20 of these tote bags, I really wanted to buy 60 for everyone but that was going to be way to expensive since I wanted nicer ones, not cheesy ones. I just give them to the bridal party/close family with gifts. They were 50% off at Vistaprint, I think they ended up $75?

IMG_0669.png

I'm going to put custom stuff in each, MOH/MOB/MOG stuff etc. Plus "survival" stuff Haven't gotten that far yet. lol

Heres stuff I want!! lol

I LOOOVE this cake, I found these edible starfish on Etsy, sooo buying them and will have Carnival put them on!! Oh yea, I think I'm going to do the vanilla/choc mix, not sure what filling yet. And I'm thinking diamonds instead of pearls. I like sparkly stuff!!! :)

5e20d2e5-3ec7-4e41-a127-08e11a6804b7.jpg

Cake topper I think I want... although I feel the need to put sparkles on it.... just might do that...

IMG_0671.png

And last but not least, for now..... My guestbook!!!! I LOOOVE THIS! My soon to be husband is a fishing charter captain here in the Tampa Bay area so we are huge into fishing/boating so this couldnt be more perfect. My colors are teal and coral so I'm thinking I'm going to get 2, one in each color. And that way I can have everyone on the cruise sign one and everyone at the after party reception sign the other one.

IMG_0670.png

Is anyone going to have a after party reception? His family is so huge this cruise was the only way to do it, so i figure I can have a cheap "party" for everyone else after. I have a familys clubhouse I can use for FREE!!

Ok so what do you guys think about all this so far? Any suggestions?

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!

I think I'm going to give them to certain people as a couple and some single. I know the guys aren't really going to care. So we might just do something cheaper. Don't know yet... It'll end up being MOB/MOG bridesmaids, grandmas etc. I wanted to give them to everyone but with the cost of them plus stuff to fill the bag it would have been too much. I'm going to have little things for other people but since this is an annual family trip everyone gets stuff anyway (shirts/koozies etc) from other family members. We just happen to be getting married on it this year!

Did you have to book an on island package and the reception separately? Is the reception when you get back to the ship or on island?

I would love to hear updates on this. I just booked a February on island wedding last week and am freaking out now!

Yes and no. You pay the fee for the on island wedding (mine $1850) then if you want a reception you have the option of a 1, 1.5 or 2 hour on ship reception. That fee is separate but discounted, instead of being the $2k or whatever it ranges from 600-$800 which covers 20 people and each additional person is either 30-$36 each depending on what time you choose. They will email you a bunch of stuff, cake choice, music, etc. I choose the DJ option so mine should be in the club. It will include hot and cold hor durves, cake, etc. it's actually pretty simple. Don't freak out, they take care of everything! Read up on here, you'll see pretty much everyone is more than happy with the results of their wedding.

I know right!!! It was so hard to find people that got married on-island. I know some people on here did it in Nassau which if you search "orange hill wedding" it comes up with some. Not many at HMC. This helped me for timing purposes..... I'm going to make one of these for everyone to know what's up that day.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=209810&d=1318924905

• 3 weeks later...

Hey y'all!!! I just wanted to say thank you to all of my fellow brides on here, you guys have helped soooo much!! So I figured I'd post a little update on how things are going over here. I'm getting married on the Carnival Ecstasy sailing from Port Canaveral to Nassau/Half Moon Cay leaving Sept 19. Actually wedding day is Sept 21 in Half Moon Cay. I'm doing the 2-hour reception with a DJ. I will end up with about 60 wedding guests and probably 50 more non-attending but kinda friends as well! :eek:

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to bring my own photographer, I really don't like how Carnival tries to get you to spend all this money for these pictures and I don't know about you but I don't want 100 8x10s. I have a photographer friend coming that i will pay for, which will take pictures for the entire 4 day cruise for under $900. YES! I also plan on doing my own hair/makeup since well I am a hairstylist/makeup artist. I would never trust anyone to do that on me! lol

I ended up just emailing everyone details of the cruise, didn't want to bother with invites, especially for the cruise reason/booking. I will however print up some small pamphlets I guess of all the cruise details/wedding stuff, but thats got to wait cuz they don't tell you the times till way later. Oh well.

Just bought 20 of these tote bags, I really wanted to buy 60 for everyone but that was going to be way to expensive since I wanted nicer ones, not cheesy ones. I just give them to the bridal party/close family with gifts. They were 50% off at Vistaprint, I think they ended up $75?

I'm going to put custom stuff in each, MOH/MOB/MOG stuff etc. Plus "survival" stuff Haven't gotten that far yet. lol

Heres stuff I want!! lol

I LOOOVE this cake, I found these edible starfish on Etsy, sooo buying them and will have Carnival put them on!! Oh yea, I think I'm going to do the vanilla/choc mix, not sure what filling yet. And I'm thinking diamonds instead of pearls. I like sparkly stuff!!! :)

Cake topper I think I want... although I feel the need to put sparkles on it.... just might do that...

And last but not least, for now..... My guestbook!!!! I LOOOVE THIS! My soon to be husband is a fishing charter captain here in the Tampa Bay area so we are huge into fishing/boating so this couldnt be more perfect. My colors are teal and coral so I'm thinking I'm going to get 2, one in each color. And that way I can have everyone on the cruise sign one and everyone at the after party reception sign the other one.

Is anyone going to have a after party reception? His family is so huge this cruise was the only way to do it, so i figure I can have a cheap "party" for everyone else after. I have a familys clubhouse I can use for FREE!!

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!

Oh man what a thought. Even I am getting married next month but arranging event on island is bit too expensive for me. Congrats man and really nice way to may occasion more special:):)

Hey y'all!!! I just wanted to say thank you to all of my fellow brides on here, you guys have helped soooo much!! So I figured I'd post a little update on how things are going over here. I'm getting married on the Carnival Ecstasy sailing from Port Canaveral to Nassau/Half Moon Cay leaving Sept 19. Actually wedding day is Sept 21 in Half Moon Cay. I'm doing the 2-hour reception with a DJ. I will end up with about 60 wedding guests and probably 50 more non-attending but kinda friends as well!

I ended up just emailing everyone details of the cruise, didn't want to bother with invites, especially for the cruise reason/booking. I will however print up some small pamphlets I guess of all the cruise detailswedding dresses, but thats got to wait cuz they don't tell you the times till way later. Oh well.

Heres stuff I want!! lol

I LOOOVE this cake, I found these edible starfish on Etsy, sooo buying them and will have Carnival put them on!! Oh yea, I think I'm going to do the vanilla/choc mix, not sure what filling yet. And I'm thinking diamonds instead of pearls. I like sparkly stuff!!!

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!

Oh man what a thought. Even I am getting married next month but arranging event on island is bit too expensive for me. Congrats man and really nice way to may occasion more special:):)

Can you give me some tips to make occasion special in little budget.

Edited by JerryNorton

Woah that sounds like a perfect wedding! God bless! Hosting a wedding on a cruise sounds very exciting! and the cake....! Speechless! The blue stars look just so pretty on the cake. Loved your idea of giving bags as give away gifts. That is awesome. Don't forget to check up on any online wedding directory for more ideas and creativity on wedding and event planning. All the best and may God be with you both all through... :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0669.png

Heres stuff I want!! lol

5e20d2e5-3ec7-4e41-a127-08e11a6804b7.jpg

IMG_0671.png

IMG_0670.png

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!

How is the marriage lisence handled on a half moon cay wedding??

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I will not be using Half Moon Cay for our vow renewal with Carnival as they do not do renewals at destination ports only on board.

Have a wonderful wedding and please post photos. You must be getting very excited now.

• 1 month later...
No because the chapel only holds about 16 people I think. And we're going to have like 60. Lol sooo we can't fit, therefore it'll be on the beach. :D

We are planning on getting married on the beach as well, do they offer chairs and an arch package or anything like that on the actual beach?

Bummer.... I was really looking forward to HMC but I don't know if standing is an option. We might have a few elderly folks who won't be able to stand.

How is the process through Carnival? Are they pretty easy going and are they for Half Moon Cay as a wedding area? I just feel like there is so many questions to ask you because I've searched all over trying to find anyone who has gotten married or getting married at HMC and there is nothing!

Bummer.... I was really looking forward to HMC but I don't know if standing is an option. We might have a few elderly folks who won't be able to stand.

How is the process through Carnival? Are they pretty easy going and are they for Half Moon Cay as a wedding area? I just feel like there is so many questions to ask you because I've searched all over trying to find anyone who has gotten married or getting married at HMC and there is nothing!

I can sort of answer this. The wedding coordinators are awesome to work with. They are all so nice and understanding. I am going to be getting married in February so I don't really know how it will be with all of the guests having to stand. I figure the ceremony isn't going to be that long so hopefully it won't be an issue. If you are going to have more than like 8 guests, you can't get married in the chapel (this number is different depending on who you talk to) so they move the wedding to the beach. They also have an option for a reception back on board. The only thing that sucks is that the reception has to be scheduled while you are in port so you end up missing a couple of hours of time you could be on the beach. Personally, I feel a little bit bad about doing this to the guests but there are just some things that I want to experience...mainly the first dance and father/daughter dance.

Now the issue with Half Moon Cay is that you can have a bunch of people booked for your cruise wedding, you can have your wedding booked and contract all signed, and then Carnival can say, hey we decided to change the itinerary and we aren't going to Half Moon Cay anymore. It is a risk and you can have a few options if this happens. Either they will move your wedding to another port, or they can move your wedding to another sailing. We opted to move our wedding to another sailing and it worked out in the end but was a huge stressful headache to deal with mainly because all of our guests had to change their bookings as well and we didn't want them to get charged fees for changing their bookings. Some of the people outside of the wedding department are less than pleasant to deal with :)

I really can't wait to read RedkenMeCrazy's review because it sounds like my wedding is going to be a similar setup with the amount of sailing guests and reception on board and I am really curious how it will turn out. So exciting!!!

• 1 year later...

I just have to ask! I just paid for my HMC on island wedding today . I didn't know until they emailed me the contract that I have to pay $8.50 per person who joins us on the island. BUMMER! I'm expecting about 80 people. I'm kind of upset about no arch or anything. What did your wedding look like? Did you have an aisle? I'm losing site of my dream slowly the more I find out. Feel free to email if you would like- I would greatly appreciate it! Bpendletonrmg@gmail.com