Norwegian Fjords in September

We are looking at a return cruise to the Fjords in either August or September. The last time we went was at the end of June & the weather was very changeable infact only one dry warm day.

So which would be the better option? We love photography & were wondering whether the trees will have got their autumn colours by Sept (cruise leaves 1st Sept for 8 nights) or would August be better weather?? We appreciate the weather in Norway is unpredictable but, really would appreciate advice from anyone who has cruised there at these time.

Many thanks.

Ignore the weather. August's warmer and drier, you know that already, but not enough to make a deciding difference.

Check the trees (I can't help you there), and also if it makes a difference to you the number of children on board. August is peak children's holiday season.

We are looking at a return cruise to the Fjords in either August or September. The last time we went was at the end of June & the weather was very changeable infact only one dry warm day. So which would be the better option? We love photography & were wondering whether the trees will have got their autumn colours by Sept (cruise leaves 1st Sept for 8 nights) or would August be better weather?? We appreciate the weather in Norway is unpredictable but, really would appreciate advice from anyone who has cruised there at these time. Many thanks.

Bergen is super wonderful. Below is more info on this charming and historic town, plus some visual highlights. More can be seen on my live/blog connected below.

On the weather there, below are a few comparisons:

July 8, for Bergen: a high of 64 °F in 2012 with a low of 55 °F, with an average high on this date of 62 °F with an average low of 51 °F. During recent history, the high has been 71 °F (2001) and a low of 44 °F (2000) on this date in Bergen. There was no rain on this date last year.

August 8, for Bergen: a high of 59 °F in 2012 with a low of 51 °F, with an average high on this date of 61 °F with an average low of 51 °F. During recent history, the high has been 80 °F (2004) and a low of 48 °F (2000) on this date in Bergen. There was no rain on this date last year.

September 8, for Bergen: a high of 53 °F in 2012 with a low of 48 °F, with an average high on this date of 55 °F with an average low of 46 °F. During recent history, the high has been 69 °F (2010) and a low of 44 °F (2001) on this date in Bergen. There was no rain on this date last year.

There is some difference for early August versus early September. BUT, not what I would call as big differences.

You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on many of the key towns in the world for their past temperatures in that specific area for a date in the past. Just look lower left in the page for weather history area, put in your exact dates and the year prior. You will then see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows for that date there.

As the seat of Norway’s medieval kingdom of Norway for six centuries, Bergen is a former Viking stronghold encircled by deep fjords, towering mountains, and sweeping glaciers. Today's Bergen has much of the medieval flavor remaining around Bergen's harbor. We explored the cobblestone streets, saw its pastel-color wooden houses, bargained in some of the many artisans' workshops and visited the famous and always-entertaining Fish Market. You can watch the locals haggling over today's catch and enjoy a quayside lunch of freshly caught salmon or fish and chips.

Rated by Frommers as more scenic than Oslo, Bergen was the base of the medieval Hanseatic merchants. Those historic timbered houses are set around Bryggen or The Wharf, a center for crafts and workshops. Its prime row is mostly reconstructed 14th-century structures, some of which were originally destroyed by fire. Det Hansseatiske Museum depicts commercial life on the wharf in the early 18th century and is highly rates with well-preserved wooden structure. Its art museums are highly-rated with religious icons, local art, etc.

In the afternoon, after some of the big crowds had lessened, we took the Floibanen funicular railway to the top of a 1050-foot high peak for scenic views. This cable car has been operating for over 80 years and was refurbished in 2002. The Funicular Lower Station is situated 150 meters from the Fish Market. At the top of the Mount Floyen, there are hiking trails and places for lunch or dinner. The trip takes seven minutes and both cars are on the same cable going up and down. Mariakirken or St. Mary’s Church is the most outstanding Romanesque church in Norway. Bergen is Norway’s largest port and has a population of 252,000. Scenic Bergen completed our voyage with its dramatic backdrop of seven rounded mountains and cobble-stoned streets. It entices you to take memories and photos cherishing the land of the Norsemen.

Their good and helpful Tourism Office can be accessed on the web at: http://www.visitbergen.com/en

We docked at the fairly handy Skoltegrunskaien Pier. This put us within about a 10-15 minute walk of the main attractions at the market and warehouse area.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 105,103 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Bergen, this was our great vista on this sunny day from the top of the Floibanen funicular railway station and its scenic overview.:

BergenHarborView.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. :

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

Bergenhus Festning Castle is located in the entrance to Bergen’s harbor and is one of the oldest, best-preserved castles in Norway. Shown is Rosenkrantz Tower, built in the mid 1500’s with dungeons on the ground floor, cannons on the top floor, etc. :

BergenFortress.jpg

From the Bergen harbor, this is the view of the station, dining place, etc., for the Floibanen funicular railway at the top of its 1050-foot high peak.:

BergenFuncTrainTop.jpg

From the higher hill areas of Bergen, here is the view of the rooftops and other harbor area places.:

BergenRoofTops2Ships.jpg

We are looking at a return cruise to the Fjords in either August or September. The last time we went was at the end of June & the weather was very changeable infact only one dry warm day.

So which would be the better option? We love photography & were wondering whether the trees will have got their autumn colours by Sept (cruise leaves 1st Sept for 8 nights) or would August be better weather?? We appreciate the weather in Norway is unpredictable but, really would appreciate advice from anyone who has cruised there at these time.

Many thanks.

I would choose August. The weather in September can be more unpredictable than usual. You are more likely of bad weather in September. We cruised the fjords in September and we had bad weather and storm the entire week.

The trees start changing the colours in late September...

The last few years the weather in August have been very pleasant.

I would recommend you to go in August. Norway might be pretty but in rain and foggy weather its just dull...

Thank you all for your replies, they were very interesting & helpful. Judging by your various comments, I think we will go for the August cruise. Many thanks to you all, loved the photos!:)

Great that you have finalized your plans and timing, plus the nice comments on my photos. Let us know any other questions or needs. Happy to provide more help. Don't be shy or absent from these CC Boards.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 105,213 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

My first trip to the fjords was in mid-to-late August, and cruising the fjord from Flåm was quite chilly. Coming from Oslo, where it was 10° and sunny at the time, we weren't really dressed for the wind and rain. On the upside, at least we got a nice rainbow at one point!

nutshell2e.jpgnutshell2h.jpgnutshell2f.jpg

But to be honest, I've never had clear skies in the fjords. I used up all my weather luck having sun both times I've been to Stavanger and 4 of 5 trips to Bergen! I'm beginning to think that the world is lying to me about Bergen weather!

Thank you all for your replies, they were very interesting & helpful. Judging by your various comments, I think we will go for the August cruise.

Many thanks to you all, loved the photos!:)

I am glad you made your decision on August.

The last few years the weather has been like this:

May and June is good.

July is rainy.

August is good.

September is hit and miss but mostly miss.

I live here and dont get my facts from a weather channel;)

Archived