dvd camcorder

alaskagain

Ok, countdown has begun! We leave one month from today for that state way up north! Can't wait. Have been trying to decide if we want to get one of the new DVD camcorders. Does anyone have one of these? Are they easy to use. Our old Sony Hi-8 is 5 years old and showing its age. You know as soon as you walk out the door with this new technology it is dated! They Hi-8 is OK but the still camera is only 2 mp and the quality is not that good. The adaptor went out and I had to search to find a new one on EBay.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

For openers, I am a gadget freak and bought an 8mm Sony cam corder several years ago about the time we started cruising. BIG EXPENSE followed by an 8mm player - Also large expense. Figured when the grand kiddies showed up it would be even better.

WRONG. Both of my kids use their VHS-C and we are now converting to DVD. The thought was to buy a digital DVD recorder for Alaska - that was lighter. What I decided to do is this. 1. My Fuji digital camera will take mini movie clips - that will be primary digital movie media. 2. CVS on the east coast is selling a throw away Digital Video Camera for $30 bucks that they will convert to DVD for about $13 bucks - you get 20 min of video. That will be secondary. I spent the big bucks on a Digital SLR with interchangable lenses. I can then take the pictures, create a DVD or CD slide show ( or not) and send them to my friends. Just my take. Oh the CVS throwaway weighs 5 oz

I took a digital video editing class last year. In order to be able to reasonably get through the class assignments, I decided to purchase my own camera. I remember my instructor advised against the straight to DVD cameras. It had something to do with trying to do the editing later. He advised me to go for a miniDV. I purchased the Sony Handycam HC40. This camera also takes still shots on a memory stick.

I was in London in November. I was worried the low light would be a problem, being it was way past the normal tourist season. Nope. Both the stills and the video turned out great. The pictures were very representative of reality. Despite the low light, color was picked up accurately and detail was quite clear. Of course, it is also a totally easy camera to use. I guess that's why it's called a "Handy"cam! :p

I did some research recently to make a recommendation to my employer to purchase a camera. I can't recall which one it was, but it wasn't the Sony. Some of the other manufacturers have taken the top spots while the older companies sat on their laurels. If I can find the recommendation, I will be happy to post it. It was a well-researched decision, based upon reasonable-means not big-company dollars.

Good luck!

It is my understanding that each dvd only holds 30 minutes of shooting. Is this correct? That would seem to require an awful lot of dvd's for a cruise. I looked into a purchase of the Sony but thought I'd wait.

We are cruising to Alaska on 6/25, and purchased a Hitachi DVD Cam a month ago for this reason. After practicing with it around the house, I have to say...it actually is an easy camcorder to use..even for me. Editing is very easy. If you tape a scene you wish to delete, it is simple. This is my first "digital" camcorder...I won't say how old my VHC is..but it is ancient. So, if I can learn how to do it, anyone can. The discs are pricey, but with new things..that is how it usually happens.

I took a digital video editing class last year. In order to be able to reasonably get through the class assignments, I decided to purchase my own camera. I remember my instructor advised against the straight to DVD cameras. It had something to do with trying to do the editing later. He advised me to go for a miniDV. I purchased the Sony Handycam HC40. This camera also takes still shots on a memory stick.

Wise choice, especially if you want to be able to use your computer to edit your video. The video from straight to mini-DVD cameras is very hard hard to import into the computer. Sure, your computer will probably play the DVD, but that isn't the same as importing the digital video onto the hard drive.

Want something cheap and simple?

1) many of the digital cameras have a simple video mode for short movies. Make sure you have at least 256, but should be 512 or 1 gig memory and a way to download it

or 2) Just out. CVS drugstores are just now selling a $30 disposable video camera. Take it back to them for about $12 to get it copied to a DVD. 20 minutes with sound. Saw a test on CNN, not bad.

Neither of these are professional, or anywhere near it.

Side note - for the person that said 30 minutes means alot of DVDs - have you ever had to sit through more than 10-20 minutes worth of somebodies home movies? Yikes! Ouch!

REAL PERSONAL OPINION - those people that tape EVERYTHING that goes on miss out of the trip because they are stuck behind the camera and can not just let things happen. Who wants to watch hours of stuff that is just not the same when you get home? Okay - soap box off. To each his own.

Side note - for the person that said 30 minutes means alot of DVDs - have you ever had to sit through more than 10-20 minutes worth of somebodies home movies? Yikes! Ouch!

This is why you need the Mini DV cam: So you can edit it! It's amazing how much better home movies can be when properly edited! With a program like Adobe's Premiere Elements (less than $100) and a DVD burner on your computer, you can have a very good looking film, output to DVD for a very reasonable price. Aint technology wunnerful? (when properly used)

:mad: Bought one of the Hitachi DVD cameras and used it on our 5/20/05 Summit cruise. There is one problem everyone should be aware of. I took some shots at Icy Strait and Juneau on the same disk. When I finalized the disk, I only could see the shots from Juneau. Called Hitache help desk and was informed that they only guarantee that their camera will work with Maxell discs. BUMMER! The girl then recommended some sites where I can get software that should be capable of ripping out the stuff from Icy Strait. Oh yes, I can view all the shots from icy strait when running the disc in the camera, just can't view it anywhere else, so the data is still there.

Don

It is my understanding that each dvd only holds 30 minutes of shooting. Is this correct? That would seem to require an awful lot of dvd's for a cruise. I looked into a purchase of the Sony but thought I'd wait.

Yes, The Mini DVD records from 24 to 30 minutes depending on the res you select, I use the Sony DVD 301. Works great for me and the Editing is no problem with the right software.

I don't know about the mini-dvd - but the regular dvd's have several different formats that may or may not be interchangable. DVD-R DVD +R DVD -RW DVD +RW

I have a VCR-DVD recorder that uses DVD+R as a media - I took some of my daughters VHS tapes and copied them to DVD - I can play them on the DVD portion of this device but when she got home she could not play them on her DVD player. I said try her laptop - waiting to hear. YES some vendors will only certify some brands of Media and No some of the better named brands aren't included like Imation.

Just bought DH the Sony DCR-DVD403. It just came out this year and all of the reviews I read gave this DVD camcorder high ratings. He took videos of DS's 8th grade moving up day that were truly impressive.

The amount of time for the DVD depends on the resolution you are using to record. At least DH's does.

If you check into this camcorder and decide that you want it I can give you the name of an internet site that had excellent prices ($200-$250 less than most stores).

for all your input! My SIL had one of the Hitachi's on last years cruise and seemed to enjoy it. My DH is usually the one taking the movies. Although I took them last year for the whale watching trip. We take a lot of movies cause DS is in marching band, and DD will follow him. Just want something light and easy to use. Don't do much editing now, so don't know that I will. Have a DVD drive, but they didn't give us the firewire card so still not able to capture and record. Will keep on looking, Ripleysmom, if you want you can let me know the name of the site.

Thanks,

I just checked the website of the place where I got the camcorder and it is about $120 more now. I guess I must have hit a good sale or something.

If you go to Yahoo Shopping and do a search, you will get a list of merchants with their pricing.

I agree with RIPLEYSMOM, the new Sony DVD 403 is worth a look. It is pricey, because it is new, but has a 3 Megapixel Still Camera as well as recording video direct to DVD. I have practiced quite a bit with my camera, as we will be going to Alaska July 11th thru the 22nd on a 4 Day land tour and 7 day south bound cruise with RC on the Vision of the Seas. Even at the highest setting, I can store thousands of stills on one DVD Disk, and take four or five more disks for video. I also agree, 2 hours of video is enough for anyone to suffer through.

I bought an extra battery and quick charger, so I can have at least 4 to 6 hours of power during the day, and charge quickly when I return to the ship.

Good Luck

It does come with editing software. It is a little tricky to use, but I've upgraded the software recently and it is easier. If you buy the DVD+RW you can use the disc over again after downloading it to a DVD-R. At Comp USA their Brand of DVD-R is about $1 each. I have also transfered old VHS tapes to DVD. I acually "held out" and went straight from VHS to DVD and skipped the mini-dv tapes!!

Good luck with your purchase!

Jacquelyn :D

I just checked the website of the place where I got the camcorder and it is about $120 more now. I guess I must have hit a good sale or something.

If you go to Yahoo Shopping and do a search, you will get a list of merchants with their pricing.

Just purchased the Sony 403. Go to bizrate.com to find best price from internet sites. I felt I got a good deal and it was shipped FedEx the same day. Taking it to Alaska in Sept. and wanted some time to practice.

It does come with editing software. It is a little tricky to use, but I've upgraded the software recently and it is easier. If you buy the DVD+RW you can use the disc over again after downloading it to a DVD-R. At Comp USA their Brand of DVD-R is about $1 each. I have also transfered old VHS tapes to DVD. I acually "held out" and went straight from VHS to DVD and skipped the mini-dv tapes!!

Good luck with your purchase!

Jacquelyn :D

What software are you using now?

I responded to this once, but it seems to have disappeared. I have a Sony digital mini camcorder, TRV 30. A little on the big side compared to new ones now, but we have used for two trips to Alaska, Mexico, and Hawaii. It takes great video, and has a 3.5" screen to allow playback without hooking up or where hookups to tv are not available. Haven't gotten much into digital editing yet. Need a bigger harddrive to store video in for easier editing. Once editing is done, burning to dvd is supposed to be simple. I shoot about the same number of one hour tapes as I used to shoot on 2hr tapes in 8mm per trip.

We just purchased a Sony DCR HC32 Mini Camcorder. It is wonderful! It will even take a still picture. We have played with it the last several days and love it. We plan on taking our laptop and downloading the tapes to DVD. We purchased it from Electronics Expo over the internet and saved $100 over Sears and Best Buys. We also purchased the longer battery that lasts 8 hours, but bought it elsewhere.

Ok, countdown has begun! We leave one month from today for that state way up north! Can't wait. Have been trying to decide if we want to get one of the new DVD camcorders. Does anyone have one of these? Are they easy to use. Our old Sony Hi-8 is 5 years old and showing its age. You know as soon as you walk out the door with this new technology it is dated! They Hi-8 is OK but the still camera is only 2 mp and the quality is not that good. The adaptor went out and I had to search to find a new one on EBay.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Archived