American Airlines

gumballz

I've been looking at airfare from Phoenix to Miami using ITA software from 4/2/06 to 4/7/06. American Airlines has some good prices (compared to what I've been seeing), but I've read some negative things about AA as far as reliability goes. I'm aware that booking this far out I risk the chance of having my flights change, but how badly can that affect us? We're planning on flying in a day before our flight and flying home the afternoon our cruise returns. Is this too risky? Should I hold out for a good price on another airline, stay an extra day after the cruise or wait a few more months to book our air? :confused: Your advice is appreciated! (I'm new to this, can you tell? ;) )

There are two schools of thought on this - I booked our Seattle-Miami airfare about three months ago for a January 06 cruise. We felt like we wanted to pick and choose our times and that we had a good price ($308 RT). Others believe that if you wait until closer to your time of travel you MIGHT snag a cheaper fare (although I believe that could be true, it could also be for much less desirable times, dates, and perhaps there is only 1 seat on the plane at that price). For me, if I know when I want to be somewhere and find a price I can live with, I buy it. Schedules often change but only once has it been so dramatic that I cancelled and rebooked elsewhere (in which case we got a full refund because it changed so significantly). You are flying to Miami in April which I would guess is pretty high season due to various spring breaks. How much is the airfare you are looking at? To fly nearly cross country, I can't imagine getting any deals much less than $300 anymore, but there are some that think you can still get coast to coast for $200.

I am not sure if you know about Kayak and Mobissimo and of course Orbitz and Travelocity, but it helps to watch those (however, most often I receive Travelocity's email notifying me about a fare a couple of days after I see it myself on the airline's website!)

I flew 123,924 miles on American Airlines in 2004. Approximately 78,000 of those miles originated in Phoenix. AA flights out of Phoenix generally connect in Dallas. And Dallas is a very easy airport to negotiate. So changing planes at DFW is relatively easy. AA's reliability out of Phoenix is at least as good, if not better than any other airline. In all flights out of Phoenix for me in 2004, I actually had to reschedule my flights only twice, due to unacceptable changes. I am satisfied. I could easily fly other airlines, but choose to fly AA.

If you can find a fare to almost anyplace out of Phoenix for under $300.00, it is a good fare. Phoenix is almost as expensive as Denver.

greatam.........what about chaging terminals in DFW? On the flight I'm considering booking we'd have 59 minutes between when our flight from PHX lands to when our flight to MIA takes off with a terminal change. Is that cutting it too close?

greatam.........what about chaging terminals in DFW? On the flight I'm considering booking we'd have 59 minutes between when our flight from PHX lands to when our flight to MIA takes off with a terminal change. Is that cutting it too close?

No. Last time I flew through DFW I had a 45 minute connection with a terminal change and I made it to the gate before they'd even started boarding.

BTW, AA has a flight almost every hour from DFW to Miami so even if you miss a connection, you have a better chance of getting to Miami than on some other lines.

As to AA's reliability, I've had good experiences and bad on AA. Last time I flew with them, they were my savior when I missed my flight home after my cruise and the cruise rep refused to help me. They bumped me up to business class in order to get me home that day. Time before that, due to weather problems, they cancelled one of my flights but then they lied to me about my other flight being cancelled because they had overbooked that one and wanted my seats.

I've read that the low cost carriers (LCCs) are looking at DFW closely and evaluating.

Yes, they have been. However, gate fees at DFW (since there are no gates available) would be very high and would not be part of the LCC's business model.

And then there is the flight between Southwest and American, which will be a continuing battle for some time, as I see it.

One reason for Jet Blue's success was their ability to secure the old TWA gates out of JFK. American had no use for them, so they were essentially up for grabs. I don't see any gates up for grabs in the near future, especially since the US/HP merger.

59 minutes should be plenty of time at DFW. American basically uses one terminal for their domestic flights, so the walk will be relatively quick.

And as wrp96 noted, American has a LOT of flights to Miami from DFW. So, if by chance you miss your connecting flight, there will be plenty of others to get you to Miami.

DFW is my home airport and AA my airline. DFW has just opened a new terminal connection train called Skylink. It is quick and easy-used it last week--it is inside security and there are 2 stations in each terminal. You shouldn't have a problem with connecting, but AA often changes their schedules and will notify by e-mail.

:D Well, I decided to check ITA again today and the price was $30 cheaper per ticket than it was yesterday.......so I went ahead and purchased our tickets. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm excited that we got 2 round trip tickets from PHX to MIA for under $500. That's one less thing to worry about. Thanks for all the help!

I found it on American Airlines' website. With the taxes it ended up being about $249 total. Not too bad though. I was afraid to wait any longer due to not knowing the future of oil prices which affects the airline prices so much. We are sailing on the Explorer October 2nd so of course, we are flying in on October 1st.

I had been planning on booking into FLL since the fare was close to $150 lower than Miami but I kept waiting. I'm so glad I did. FLL fare is now higher than Miami, go figure. Anyway, I'm glad it's done. I've already booked the hotel on Priceline $55 for 3 star on Miami Beach, so we're all set. I should have waited longer to book the hotel to try to get a better deal, but I will be having major surgery at the end of the month and wasn't sure how soon I would feel like messing with all of this. I didn't want to take any chances in waiting too long on the airfare. Now we just have to wait and of course...pack. :)

By the way, in what part of the valley do you live? We are in south Chandler.

Tracey

Tracey......that's the same price I got through the AA site. You're flying much sooner than I am....but I'm one of those people that like to have things done in advance. I was surprised to see the fare that low yesterday, so I jumped on it.

What hotel did you end up with by using Priceline? I've been debating whether or not to use Priceline or to go directly through a site. I've always had wonderful success with Priceline, so I'll probably just use them. I'm not familiar with Miami whatsoever though......so I'm not sure what options to click, you know?

I live up near Prescott.....about 10 miles north in a tiny town called Chino Valley. If you blink you miss it. There's a lot of drama because everyone knows everyone else's business (or they THINK they do anyway)......but I like the town for the most part. Our kids have grown up here and gone to school with all their friends since kindergarten, etc. I get down to Phx (and surrounding areas) at least once a month and always come home asking my husband if we can move. lol

I found it on American Airlines' website. With the taxes it ended up being about $249 total.

You totally scored ! wow, thats great... I have to 2 for 1 coupons but cant call till 6 months before cruising so have to wait till Sept to call, but at 249. you did good. :)

Wennfred........have you checked fares using ITA Software? That's how I originally found my low fares. Then I just matched them up on the AA site and got the same fare through them. I'll check for you if you'd like.......just tell me when you want to fly (specific dates). They came back with hundreds of schedule choices so I easily found one that worked for us. :)

I've been checking AA every so often from San Diego to Miami for March 2006, The only time I saw it dropped to 346.00 round trip PP, thats down from 408.00 now its back up to 446.00 I use www.bookingbuddy.com so I only have to enter my Dates once and select all of the airlines and online travel agencies.

AA is generally NOT price competitive out of San Deigo. What about driving to OC (John Wayne) or LAX. Or take a shuttle flight, if you don't want to drive. LAX/Miami is a main AA route, so lots of sale fares. Even the non-sale fares out of LAX are much cheaper. Should be able to get to Miami for $300.00 on AA almost anytime.

Wennfred, I did a quick check from San Diego to Miami (3-4-06 through 3-11-06) on a couple sites. The average seems to be $412. I checked ITA and the cheapest there for the same dates is $385. That's not a huge difference.......but it's something to keep your eye on.

:confused: I have a couple of questions for you knowledgeable cruisers out there. I have never flown before. For 23 years my poor husband has had to drive me cross country many times! I have found flights out of O'Hare to Ft. Lauderdale for $150.00, we can't drive from IN including hotels and meals at that price. That's

a grand total of $437.00 ( with taxes) for three people. I know a great deal when I see one.

We would need to be at Fll to depart at 1:10. Our ship should be back in Ft. Lauderdale at 8:00. Will we have enough time to disembark and get to Fll in time to check in? Thanks.

Tracey......that's the same price I got through the AA site. You're flying much sooner than I am....but I'm one of those people that like to have things done in advance. I was surprised to see the fare that low yesterday, so I jumped on it.

What hotel did you end up with by using Priceline? I've been debating whether or not to use Priceline or to go directly through a site. I've always had wonderful success with Priceline, so I'll probably just use them. I'm not familiar with Miami whatsoever though......so I'm not sure what options to click, you know?

I live up near Prescott.....about 10 miles north in a tiny town called Chino Valley. If you blink you miss it. There's a lot of drama because everyone knows everyone else's business (or they THINK they do anyway)......but I like the town for the most part. Our kids have grown up here and gone to school with all their friends since kindergarten, etc. I get down to Phx (and surrounding areas) at least once a month and always come home asking my husband if we can move. lol

Hey, you live in a beautiful area! Your kids are very lucky to grow up there. My husband and I both grew up in small towns out of state so we understand what you mean about everyone knowing everyone else's business. ha-ha

If you ever get to Chandler, let me know and maybe we can get together for lunch and share our cruise stories.

I had never used priceline before I booked this hotel in Miami. I got the Four Points by Sheraton on Miami Beach. Since we are traveling with 4 teenagers, we thought we would stay at the beach the night before we cruise instead of near the airport like we usually do. We booked 2 rooms at $55 each. I'm sure I could have done better had I been more patient, but I really needed to get it all taken care of so I could relax.

I've read on other threads about other folks getting even better deals on better hotels. Some have said that they get 4 star hotels for under $40. I tried, but could only get the 3 star for $55. Oh well, I guess we'll have to suffer through having 1 less star! ha-ha On Priceline, I chose Miami Beach, North Miami Beach and Miami Downtown as my areas and chose 3 stars.

We usually stay at the...

Holiday Inn Miami International Airport

1111 SO ROYAL POINCIANA BLVD

MIAMI SPRINGS, FL 33166

UNITED STATES

1-305-8851941

This hotel offers complimentary shuttle to and from the Miami Airport and to and from the Miami Cruise Port. That really has saved us lots of $$$. Unfortunately, there were not any rooms available for the price I usually get which is $69 a room per night. I believe this hotel is considered 2 1/2 star. It has 2 different buildings to this hotel, the old one and the newer one. I've always been booked in the newer part because I signed up for their frequent stayer program. I've heard that the older portion of the hotel is really bad.

Let me know what you end up getting on Priceline. We cruise out of Miami pretty often, it would be nice to know about other hotel options.

Have a good evening,

Tracey

:confused: I have a couple of questions for you knowledgeable cruisers out there. I have never flown before. For 23 years my poor husband has had to drive me cross country many times! I have found flights out of O'Hare to Ft. Lauderdale for $150.00, we can't drive from IN including hotels and meals at that price. That's

a grand total of $437.00 ( with taxes) for three people. I know a great deal when I see one.

We would need to be at Fll to depart at 1:10. Our ship should be back in Ft. Lauderdale at 8:00. Will we have enough time to disembark and get to Fll in time to check in? Thanks.

We've cruised many times out of Miami (never FLL) and have always had to rush to make early flights. We've never missed one even when we had a 10:30am departure although we would never choose that flight if we had any other options. We usually take a departure around noon and are always off the ship before 9:00am. You will need to talk to someone at the pursers' desk and let them know about your flight departure time. They will make sure that you get the correct luggage tags to make sure you disembark early, at least that's what Royal Caribbean has always done for us.

Good luck!:)

Archived