Best place to buy snorkel gear in Hilo

avalon007

Would you have a chance to pick it up on another island? There isn't much in the way of snorkelling on the east side of the Big Island, so I think your choices of buying equipment in Hilo will be limited. Snorkel Bob's is a reputable business and has many locations throughout the islands (but not on the east side of the BI.) If you decided to rent instead of buy, you could get it at a Snorkel Bob's on one island and return it on another.

There are several dive shops in Hilo. You would have to Google them to find out where they are. I know I have seen several downtown. If you are looking for just basic gear there is Walmart. Walmart carries a range of variously priced gear. We have bought several sets of snorkel gear at Walmart to have on hand for guests, etc. If you are coming in on a cruise ship, there will be a free shuttle running to Walmart all day long.

Thanks for the replies.

Our first stop in Hawaii is Hilo were we will do the volacno hike so no snorkeling, but the next day we are in Kuna were we leave early on a snorkel cruise so no time to purchase gear.

We want slightly better quality than basic as we are also divers, we just need to renew our mask/snorkel/fins & thought it would be better to not have to carry it with us due to airplane weight etc.

We will be cruising all the way back home to Sydney, so no issue with weight on the return.

Since we only have about 2 hours after our lava hike before the ship departs that was why I was looking for a specific location near the ship dock.

Not actually knowing where the ship docks also means it is difficult to research it myself as I have no idea where things are in relation to each other.

How far is the dock from downtown drive time on the shuttles? :)

Hilo is not that big, so any dive shop that is listed in Hilo will be no more than a couple of miles from the cruise pier. Downton Hilo is within a couple of miles. Since you will only have a couple of hours after returning from your volcano hike, I would jump in a taxi and have him take you to whatever shop you decide will have the equipment you desire. Probably best to email the shop ahead of time to make sure they have what you are looking for. The port of Hilo is in an industrial area, so there is not much around there shopping wise.

I forgot to mention that we also have a brand new Sports Authority store at the mall in Hilo. I have not been in there yet, but I am sure they have a good selection of snorkel gear. If you take the free Hilo Hattie's shuttle from the ship, you can get there easily. You wil see the entrance to the store just across the parking lot from Hilo Hattie's.

I forgot to mention that we also have a brand new Sports Authority store at the mall in Hilo. I have not been in there yet, but I am sure they have a good selection of snorkel gear. If you take the free Hilo Hattie's shuttle from the ship, you can get there easily. You wil see the entrance to the store just across the parking lot from Hilo Hattie's.

Thanks, that's a good tip, I just looked them up online & they have exactly what I want, & being easy to find I think that will be the place we will plan to visit.

We can always shuttle there & taxi back if time permits.

Are there taxi ranks nearby Hilo Hatties?

Thanks.

kapoho will be more of an authority on this than I am, but when we were in Hilo earlier this month (on a land trip), we found traffic at that time of day to be very busy (slow) - assuming that you have to be back on board by 5:30 or earlier. I know you don't have to go far, but if you have to wait for the shuttle and then look for a taxi after shopping, it might be a tight squeeze. Will the snorkel tour in Kona have equipment for you just in case you run out of time in Hilo?

We take our gear with us (including wet suits) ... it is more weight/bulk to pack & we find it works for a land trip, but more of a challenge for a cruise since you need more space in your luggage for clothes/shoes.

kapoho will be more of an authority on this than I am, but when we were in Hilo earlier this month (on a land trip), we found traffic at that time of day to be very busy (slow) - assuming that you have to be back on board by 5:30 or earlier. I know you don't have to go far, but if you have to wait for the shuttle and then look for a taxi after shopping, it might be a tight squeeze. Will the snorkel tour in Kona have equipment for you just in case you run out of time in Hilo?

We take our gear with us (including wet suits) ... it is more weight/bulk to pack & we find it works for a land trip, but more of a challenge for a cruise since you need more space in your luggage for clothes/shoes.

Hi Susan,

Yes they do hire out so in an emergency we would be OK, but we prefer not to hire equipment if possible.

We may be able to get dropped off in town on our return from the tour even, so this could save time.

I guess how long the journey is between the port & the shops is going to be what will also affect our options.

Our bags will be at the weight limit for sure leaving Sydney, so taking any gear will not be an option. We have to pack for a nearly 7 week tour covering diverse climates from Alaska to Tahiti, plus take into account the cruise formals etc that we like to dress for, it's a challenge!:)

The drive between the port and the mall (Hilo Hattie's and Sports Authority) should be no longer than 5-10 minutes. This area is not downtown proper....it is in the other direction and is where all of the larger stores, mall, etc. are. The mall is just across the street from Walmart.....so either shuttle (Hilo Hattie's or Walmart would do.) Just ask anyone to point you in the direction of Sports Authority if you don't see it. There most likely will not be taxis at Hilo Hattie's, so another idea would be to just jump in a taxi at the pier, have him take you to Sports Authority and wait for you. Since you know what you want...it should not take long. If the tour driver will drop you at the mall or Hilo Hattie's ( you have to pass it on the way back to the pier when coming from Volcano), you should be able to find some kind of shuttle back to the ship.

The drive between the port and the mall (Hilo Hattie's and Sports Authority) should be no longer than 5-10 minutes. This area is not downtown proper....it is in the other direction and is where all of the larger stores, mall, etc. are. The mall is just across the street from Walmart.....so either shuttle (Hilo Hattie's or Walmart would do.) Just ask anyone to point you in the direction of Sports Authority if you don't see it. There most likely will not be taxis at Hilo Hattie's, so another idea would be to just jump in a taxi at the pier, have him take you to Sports Authority and wait for you. Since you know what you want...it should not take long. If the tour driver will drop you at the mall or Hilo Hattie's ( you have to pass it on the way back to the pier when coming from Volcano), you should be able to find some kind of shuttle back to the ship.

Great! Thanks for the info, sounds like a plan.

Archived