Kiel question for Kruizefan

Hi,

As you know it is usually me who has to come up with the answers but today I am doing the asking.

Pleeeeese can you help!

I am meeting relatives visiting Kiel from a cruise ship on 29th May. The men have decided to go to Laboe and I will stay in Kiel with the women to window-shop and gossip. I have tried to persuade them to go to Laboe (I have been but would like to go again) but they have heard that the shopping in Kiel is fantastic. We plan to meet the men at 16:00, they sail at 22:00 and I have to catch the train to Rostock at 19:44.

My question - what can we do between 16:00 and 19:00 ?

I thought of taking them to see the locks at Wik/Haltenau. I know there is a public observation platform near the ferry but can't find anything about it; exactly where, how to get there etc. Also from the maps it does not seem to be a very interesting area for the women, no cafes or anything nearby. Am I right?

If so, is there anything else you could suggest for us to see in town or within walking distance of the ship.

Thanks a million and also for helping me out with replies re Hamburg.

Anni

Hi,

As you know it is usually me who has to come up with the answers but today I am doing the asking.

Pleeeeese can you help!

I am meeting relatives visiting Kiel from a cruise ship on 29th May. The men have decided to go to Laboe and I will stay in Kiel with the women to window-shop and gossip. I have tried to persuade them to go to Laboe (I have been but would like to go again) but they have heard that the shopping in Kiel is fantastic. We plan to meet the men at 16:00, they sail at 22:00 and I have to catch the train to Rostock at 19:44.

My question - what can we do between 16:00 and 19:00 ?

I thought of taking them to see the locks at Wik/Haltenau. I know there is a public observation platform near the ferry but can't find anything about it; exactly where, how to get there etc. Also from the maps it does not seem to be a very interesting area for the women, no cafes or anything nearby. Am I right?

If so, is there anything else you could suggest for us to see in town or within walking distance of the ship.

Thanks a million and also for helping me out with replies re Hamburg.

Anni

A doubt the ladies would be interested in visiting the UBoat that DH is eager to see, but here are some other ideas:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Germany/Land_Schleswig_Holstein/Kiel-47877/Things_To_Do-Kiel-TG-C-1.html

Archived