Carnival Dream 4/13/13 Trip Review!

EditorDiva

First-time cruisers here that got a lot of help on this CC board, so thanks to each one of you that gave advice! Our trip was wonderful. We had some rough Caribbean seas; so rough in fact that one night's sailing from Cozumel to Belize, the pool water in the forward Lido deck pool rocked right out and there was a net over the pool the next morning! Was glad I had brought the Sea Bands and Bonine for DD. Had to skip docking at MB as well due to roughness, but got to dock at Coxen Hole and not miss gorgeous Roatan.

Foodwise, we enjoyed Chef Art's Steakhouse one night after throwing the kids in Camp Carnival. My filet mignon and DH's ribeye were tender and delicious; it is wild how they can cook these with no flame. Was worth the extra money for us, and we were glad we had tried the steakhouse at least once. Found most of the food on our trip to be yummy. I really liked the Tandoor flavor and the pizza was good. Thought the deli sandwiches were delicious, especially the arugula, red pepper, and fresh mozzarella with pesto on ciabatta. Waited in line 30 minutes for the Mongolian Wok one afternoon but was so NOT worth the wait. The bowl of fresh veggies and all that I handed over came back to me as mush and beef was overcooked. Don't bother...there are too many other good choices. We didn't find the food lines to be terrible (except Wok one) at all. Ate most breakfasts at the aft Lido buffets were there were more food choices and less crowds. Kids loved the chocolate extravaganza the last sea day; tons of creations to try and chocolate fountain. MDR was good three nights (one of them elegant night with lobster), but found the food came out slow and if we ordered a bar drink most times it didn't come to us until we were pretty much finished with the meal; bad timing. I have to say our MDR waiters were great though, even making napkin figures for my kids and an origami frog one night. My kids liked trying the different dishes like alligator fritters, frog legs, and strawberry soup. Got some lattes and rich-tasting chocolate cake and carrot cake at the coffee shop on Deck 5.

Didn't have a problem with chair hogs, especially at aft pool on Lido. Woke up one morning to see towel animals on each and every lounger...was so cool! Got to watch two movies outside on Lido, which my kids thought was fun. Enjoyed the water slides. Loved seeing the Fun Bunch dance group of break dancers and poppers. Liked watching, on the "not-so-secret" Deck 5 :), the ship come into ports. Had fun playing putt putt. DD and I went to tea time (yummy assortment of desserts and tea sandwiches) and the towel animal making class. Saw a night comedy show. Tried to do a bit of everything.

Our rum runners made it (I know others frown on doing this, so don't slam me!). We are not big drinkers but was nice to have extra liquor when we wanted it. Still bought a few Bloody Mary's and Thirsty Frogs onboard as well, so evened out.

We decorated our cabin door and others commented on it. We were on Deck 7, Empress, and had the best room steward (Tony) that we got to know throughout the cruise. Always had our ice stocked, extra towels, and amazing towel animals for the kids. Told us he was being sent to another ship sailing out of Italy when we docked. Highly recommend that deck; close to Deck 5 and Decks 10 and 11 where most time spent.

Tip: Bring teeth floss for an extra clothesline in bathroom or across mirror vanity. We found we needed more than the one in the bathroom to hang our wet suits, etc.

One ship con would be the noise of the flushing toilets as they are very loud! Would sail with Carnival again. Our embarkment and debarkment through Port Canaveral was run like clockwork. We were on the boat by 11:30am and off the boat and getting our rental car by 8:30am. They really know how to get the crowd through there. All in all, great trip!

ShipTowelAnmlDeck.jpg.ea70d8c7163922e3c2e0f3839f07df92.jpg

Ship.jpg.f40c4323df5a4c831068c0a8ee21a44b.jpg

MDRWait.jpg.57a1e255a3da6307b82e7bc12a0b4585.jpg

Ship2.jpg.a8cfcd8071f64310b9ae4fb1b2b4c824.jpg

Teeredi2cruise, flame/fire is not allowed on a cruise ship. The meat had these great grille marks and all, but was not cooked on an open flame. The chef came by our table before dessert to see how we enjoyed the meal and we questioned him about cooking methods. He said they strive to get the same taste as if they could cook on a grille. They use some type of metal rods that get heated to make the grille marks. Either way, we thought the meat rivaled a steakhouse onshore. I also LOVED my dessert of gingerbread ice cream...sounds a bit strange, but I could have licked the bowl it was that darn good! Enjoy your cruise!

Archived