Suggestion: Upscale Silversea Voyages

NattilyAttired

Many younger people still cling to the old idea that cruising is for seniors. they're not aware of the advantages of a cruise and are unwilling to try. It's a shame since I bet many would love it if a good TA put them on the right ship with the right itinerary.

I laugh at posters who generalize by saying things like "People only want 7-day cruises due to not having enough vacation time" and "cruises have to depart on Saturdays" and "people don't wan't to dress up on vacation." When the price of gasoline exceeded $4 a gallon, pundits said no one would drive gas guzzlers anymore, either. Except that they do. Whenever people use absolutes like this, it reaffirms the intent of my original post in this thread.

While some think the cruise industry still has an image of "old retired people," you need to take a look at Carnival, Norwegian, and other lines who have found ways to entice families aboard in record numbers by adding waterslides and theme shows and Starbucks and Spongebob Squarepants. I will not deny for one minute that many of these people prefer one-week voyages for all the reasons mentioned, and they may even prefer to wear shorts to dinner. However, "many" does not mean "all." There are still hundreds of thousands of cruise fans who will take 10-or more-day voyages.

If Silversea changed its policies (cruise length, departure days, smoking policies, dress code, etc) to be "just like everyone else's," then they would lose their point of differentiation. They would be just like everyone else, but more expensive. THAT would be a disaster, financially speaking. Any marketer worth his salt will tell you that niche markets can be extremely lucrative, and that is what Silversea has been attempting to do. While I cannot speak to their level of financial success, clearly they are tweaking the model in search of higher profits.

My original post was intended to suggest that SS should think about going UPMARKET instead of down, but only for a few cruises, in order to capture those out there who want such a thing. They could use those cruises as a test to see if the model works. Like "Older Party" posted above, there is definitely a market for people who go to Vegas and spend big bucks, who might love to spend a week on the Mediterranean with a great onboard atmosphere. Just as there are folks who might want a quiet, elegant, kid-free cruise with amazing food and wine.

There are many many cruisers in their 40's and above who are more than willing to pay more than the going rate for a stellar experience. That's my only point. If I were in the cruise business, I would find a way to sell to them.

Kort

We haven't come up with any really good ideas. Obviously, since we have had no luck convincing any of our friends to cruise with us. Friends we have traveled with and who regularly seek (and follow) my advice on where to stay and eat and even where to travel to on vacation, shoot down any suggestion of cruising.

Perhaps part of the problem is the allegiance/reliance of the cruise industry on trave agents? I don't know anyone besides my mother who uses a TA. Yet to get the best deal on, or oftentimes just to book a cruise, you have to use a TA. I don't think I need to spell out all of the reasons why that is a dying industry. Lets just say, there's an app for that. ;). The cruiselines really need to ditch that deadweight. Perhaps they don't do enough marketing at all and just rely on TA's and that is why their client base isn't growing? I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for those comments, but I won't believe that anyone who disagrees is not a TA themselves.

Many younger people still cling to the old idea that cruising is for seniors. they're not aware of the advantages of a cruise and are unwilling to try. It's a shame since I bet many would love it if a good TA put them on the right ship with the right itinerary.

Absolutely agree. But I don't think any TA could convince most younger people to try. i only agreed in the first place because owning a boat was nonsense money and my wife kept nagging me to try.

Current marketing is a real turn off. Even most older people don't think of themselves as older, and when they see all these cruise pictures with older people they feel dissasociated.

We haven't come up with any really good ideas. Obviously, since we have had no luck convincing any of our friends to cruise with us. Friends we have traveled with and who regularly seek (and follow) my advice on where to stay and eat and even where to travel to on vacation, shoot down any suggestion of cruising.

Perhaps part of the problem is the allegiance/reliance of the cruise industry on trave agents? I don't know anyone besides my mother who uses a TA. Yet to get the best deal on, or oftentimes just to book a cruise, you have to use a TA. I don't think I need to spell out all of the reasons why that is a dying industry. Lets just say, there's an app for that. ;). The cruiselines really need to ditch that deadweight. Perhaps they don't do enough marketing at all and just rely on TA's and that is why their client base isn't growing? I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for those comments, but I won't believe that anyone who disagrees is not a TA themselves.

It is so bad that they have to put restrictive practices in to protect an a dditional cost level that most do not need.

One of the small luxury cruise lines is currently re-evaluating direct sales for some of the markets where TA's are failing them and they have appaling penetration. The swap will give them proactive marketing and selling.

Many "Young, monied people" simply rent yachts for themselves and friends. This way they have the experience they are looking for.

Very true Travelcat. I posted previously my thought about creating a cruise line that gives them the club experience they gravitate toward, but at sea. I'm seriously thinking about this. Might just start it up myself! :D

I think you hit the nail on the head. The cruise lines do not market enough to people outside of their already identified demographic.

Absolutely agree. But I don't think any TA could convince most younger people to try. i only agreed in the first place because owning a boat was nonsense money and my wife kept nagging me to try.

Current marketing is a real turn off. Even most older people don't think of themselves as older, and when they see all these cruise pictures with older people they feel dissasociated.

This made me smile UKCruiseJeff. I am one of those older people. In my head, I'm in my early 30's ... or younger.

Well I am physically in my 70's but mentally in my 50's (or maybe 40's). We used to love the 'dress up' thing on cruise ships but that has become old hat to us. The biggest reason is airline size/weight restrictions. Frankly we try to travel with just one carry on bag. As we get older, juggling multiple pieces of large luggage is no longer fun!! I figure if the Europeans can go on a several week vacation with one small bag, that I, as an American can at least approach that effort! At no time do we 'behave' in a lesser manner while dining. There was a time when cruising was only for an elite few, but now most everyone has cruised somewhere and at some level. Maybe we are in a rut, but frankly, we chose our cruises based on itineraries first. The level of dining is second - and wearing attire is adhered to by cruise rules but certainly will never determine which ship we take.

We love SS and have met all sorts of folk and love the variety. Yes some tweaking will always be in order to maintain standards on board and I hope SS continues to monitor any weaknesses.

Well I am physically in my 70's but mentally in my 50's (or maybe 40's). We used to love the 'dress up' thing on cruise ships but that has become old hat to us. The biggest reason is airline size/weight restrictions. Frankly we try to travel with just one carry on bag. As we get older, juggling multiple pieces of large luggage is no longer fun!! I figure if the Europeans can go on a several week vacation with one small bag, that I, as an American can at least approach that effort! At no time do we 'behave' in a lesser manner while dining. There was a time when cruising was only for an elite few, but now most everyone has cruised somewhere and at some level. Maybe we are in a rut, but frankly, we chose our cruises based on itineraries first. The level of dining is second - and wearing attire is adhered to by cruise rules but certainly will never determine which ship we take.

We love SS and have met all sorts of folk and love the variety. Yes some tweaking will always be in order to maintain standards on board and I hope SS continues to monitor any weaknesses.

The problem is ..... you are geting younger! :D

There is a group of us Europeans, because everything here is on our doorstep ... we are fortunate enough to go often but shorter. Without thinking about it too much our European travel of at least once a month involves a stay length that is compliant with carry on bags not the other way round. We have standard fit overhead locker carry ons and in them we also take a pillow each in a vacuum bag (how can anyone travel without their favourite Siberian Goose Down pillows ... have you worked out how much strangers dribble there is on a hotel or ship pillow ..:mad: ) and enough clothes for around 3 or 4 nights. So the stays are 3 or 4 nights.

You do sound very spunky and switched on.;):)

Edited:

Your other point. I think the issue with cruise line advertising and brochures is that their employee average age is much lower than their customers average age. So when they see us lot - they see people that they depict in their pictures. They think we want to be amongst our own kind. So they publish pictures of old people. However when we see the same pictures we see older people we don't want to go on cruises with. I am very young and immature, and so is my wife. They simply do not get it.

Suzcruise,

I'd like to address two points.

First, one of the nicest things about sailing on Silversea is the opportunity to meet new people and make wonderful friends. So if none of your current friends will sail with you why not try sailing on your own? I guarantee you'll disembark with more friends than you had when you embarked.

Secondly, I really don't understand the reluctance to use a good TA to book a cruise Yes, there are apps and the internet but it costs absolutely nothing to use a TA and he/she can often get you benefits and amenities that you will never get by booking directly. Onboard credits, possible upgrades, included special excursions etc. Plus if something goes wrong before or during your cruise and you have booked directly who do you think the cruise line will side with? A good TA can be the arbiter you will need. jmo.

UKCruiseJeff: I did not "ignore" your comments in response #15.... I rather chose not to get in a pissing contest with you. My original and subsequent posts in this thread are suggestions based on my OPINIONS. I am entitled to my opinions, just as you are entitled to yours. We do not have to agree. You and Wripro would like to think I am "wrong," but I cannot be wrong with an opinion. While there are people on here who disagree with my opinion, I will point out that the very first respondent said "that sounds like a great idea, sign me up!" (I paraphrased that, but you can see it for yourself.) I also know from talking to fellow cruisers last month on the Shadow that there are others who would welcome a more upscale experience, however that may be achieved. Anyway, as in any other aspect of life, you will always find people with different viewpoints.

As far as risk, any change that any person or company makes comes with risk. Only Silversea can truly assess their current situation and the risks that come with making any changes. Many of us here think the line needs to make some changes to cope with declining passenger loads and increased competition. All I have suggested is that they look to go upmarket, rather than sink to the level of others. Yes, it's a risk. But it's just my opinion. Going to open itineraries (your suggestion) is also a risk.

As for dress code, I am not pushing hard for holding the line on the dress code. If they change it, great. You have suggested in another post that I seem to want to foist my dress standards on others, but that is not the case. The SHIP sets the dress code, not me. If the ship instituted a lower dress code, then I wouldn't have a probem with people dressing less formally. I certainly think that there is an incongruity when the level of luxury (food, amenities, etc) has decreased and yet the formal dress code remains. I would rather see all parameters raised, rather than all lowered. I suggested a test case scenario. You don't agree, and that is your prerogative.

Kort

UKCruiseJeff: I did not "ignore" your comments in response #15.... I rather chose not to get in a pissing contest with you. My original and subsequent posts in this thread are suggestions based on my OPINIONS. I am entitled to my opinions, just as you are entitled to yours. We do not have to agree. You and Wripro would like to think I am "wrong," but I cannot be wrong with an opinion. While there are people on here who disagree with my opinion, I will point out that the very first respondent said "that sounds like a great idea, sign me up!" (I paraphrased that, but you can see it for yourself.) I also know from talking to fellow cruisers last month on the Shadow that there are others who would welcome a more upscale experience, however that may be achieved. Anyway, as in any other aspect of life, you will always find people with different viewpoints.

As far as risk, any change that any person or company makes comes with risk. Only Silversea can truly assess their current situation and the risks that come with making any changes. Many of us here think the line needs to make some changes to cope with declining passenger loads and increased competition. All I have suggested is that they look to go upmarket, rather than sink to the level of others. Yes, it's a risk. But it's just my opinion. Going to open itineraries (your suggestion) is also a risk.

As for dress code, I am not pushing hard for holding the line on the dress code. If they change it, great. You have suggested in another post that I seem to want to foist my dress standards on others, but that is not the case. The SHIP sets the dress code, not me. If the ship instituted a lower dress code, then I wouldn't have a probem with people dressing less formally. I certainly think that there is an incongruity when the level of luxury (food, amenities, etc) has decreased and yet the formal dress code remains. I would rather see all parameters raised, rather than all lowered. I suggested a test case scenario. You don't agree, and that is your prerogative.

Kort

No problems at all. I didn't intend to irritate. But you did ignore the post as in "not respond".

You started a discussion ie this thread. I simply engaged in the discussion you had started. I thought my question was thoughtfully and respectfully posed and questioned your opinion. It just seems strange to start a discussion and annoying that you choose to ignore the posts that try to engage directly with you in the discussion you started.

With respect to your position on dress code this seems at variance with the your tone on the other thread when a poster simply sought clarity on where the boundaries are. It was also the first thing you thought of when choosing a forum handle.

Suzcruise,

I'd like to address two points.

First, one of the nicest things about sailing on Silversea is the opportunity to meet new people and make wonderful friends. So if none of your current friends will sail with you why not try sailing on your own? I guarantee you'll disembark with more friends than you had when you embarked."

"Secondly, I really don't understand the reluctance to use a good TA to book a cruise Yes, there are apps and the internet but it costs absolutely nothing to use a TA and he/she can often get you benefits and amenities that you will never get by booking directly. Onboard credits, possible upgrades, included special excursions etc. Plus if something goes wrong before or during your cruise and you have booked directly who do you think the cruise line will side with? A good TA can be the arbiter you will need. jmo.

We do cruise on our own. Did you read the entire thread?

I do use a TA when booking a cruise. That has nothing to do with this conversation about marketing ideas. Again, you have missed the boat. I don't think I can slow it down enough for you to board.

Guess we'll be on ships that pass in the night.

As for Silversea setting the dress code that is absolutely correct. They have set formal nights as OPTIONAL which means no formal wear is required.

Archived