What time to be at port in Boston?

I'm going on the Glory out of Boston at the end of June. We've sailed out of Baltimore, Fort Lauderdale and Miami. We always get to the port around 9:30/10 a.m. and wait anxiously in the waiting area. My question is, what time should we get to the port in Boston? Is that too early? I saw a picture of the waiting area and the chairs didn't look too comfy! :eek:

I'm going on the Glory out of Boston at the end of June. We've sailed out of Baltimore, Fort Lauderdale and Miami. We always get to the port around 9:30/10 a.m. and wait anxiously in the waiting area. My question is, what time should we get to the port in Boston? Is that too early? I saw a picture of the waiting area and the chairs didn't look too comfy! :eek:

9:30 seems a little early, to me, but we usually get to the port around 11:30. That's our goal anyway. When we sailed out of Boston last year, it was a bit choatic, but went smoothly once boarding began. Have fun, we will be sailing out of Boston on the 16th of June.:)

I know because my husband and I, along with hundreds of other cruisers, sat in those chairs from 4:00PM to 10:00pm last June 3 waiting for the Glory to arrive from Norfolk. The ship arrived late due to fog and migrating whales.

Also, the restrooms were nice and clean.

We always arrive at the Boston terminal around 11am for an on time embarkation. Gives us time to drop off luggage and check in.

This year we are on the June 25 Glory cruise.

Sandy

I know because my husband and I, along with hundreds of other cruisers, sat in those chairs from 4:00PM to 10:00pm last June 3 waiting for the Glory to arrive from Norfolk. The ship arrived late due to fog and migrating whales.

Also, the restrooms were nice and clean.

We always arrive at the Boston terminal around 11am for an on time embarkation. Gives us time to drop off luggage and check in.

This year we are on the June 25 Glory cruise.

Sandy

Sandy - only until 10pm?? Man it was at least 10 pm before she arrived :D (I just checked my pics - it was after 10 pm when we caught sight) I think it was way after before we left the hotel down the street where the rest of us where sitting on the floor....

So my suggestion - arrive after the ship arrives. ;)

1199553293_2012-06-0320_27_58.jpg.3f3a28309daf5fc23ba28ee5f8ff8c60.jpg

We sailed from Boston last June. Ah, no flight, one hour drive from home, now I know how Florida residents feel.

But I digress.

We got to port before 9:00. We parked in the Black Falcon lot. We walked across the street to the port building, but were told that porters would not take our luggage until all the passengers' bags were off the ship. (We've never encountered that situation in any other port.) We sat on a bench outside. It was a beautiful morning.

At 9:30'ish, porters were ready for us. We handed over our bags and waited on the bench again. Soon after, we entered, did the whole pre-embarkation stuff, and were shown to the waiting area. The folks who needed assistance were seated behind a room divider. VIPs were seated opposite us peons, but their section was separated by a bank-style rope.

The port employees were wonderfully friendly and outgoing-we enjoyed talking with them. A few minutes before 11:00, it was announced that embarkation would begin. (Earliest embarkation in 13 cruises.) Between the assisted folks and the VIPs, there were a half dozen passengers. The port building itself had fewer than 200 people-I am guessing that most either heeded the "embarkation times are between 1:00 and 3:00" letter or toured Boston. We had our first drink on the ship at 11:05. We had the ship mostly to ourselves until almost 2:00-it was a little eerie.

If we are lucky enough to be able to cruise from Boston again, I would not change anything that we did on embarkation morning.

Have a great cruise.

Sandy - only until 10pm?? Man it was at least 10 pm before she arrived :D (I just checked my pics - it was after 10 pm when we caught sight) I think it was way after before we left the hotel down the street where the rest of us where sitting on the floor....

So my suggestion - arrive after the ship arrives. ;)

We did not want to ride the bus round and round to Quincy Market, so we checked in around 4pm and went right upstairs to the seating area. We were in a suite and had priority boarding. I do remember that we were on the ship and eating in the buffet area shortly after 11:00pm. I remember hearing that some people did not get on the ship until 2:30am.

Sandy

We did not want to ride the bus round and round to Quincy Market, so we checked in around 4pm and went right upstairs to the seating area. We were in a suite and had priority boarding. I do remember that we were on the ship and eating in the buffet area shortly after 11:00pm. I remember hearing that some people did not get on the ship until 2:30am.

Sandy

We had to fly in the day before -we thought to make the cruise -so we were already staying at the Westin. I don't think I will ever sail from Boston again because of last year. Several people we met on board won't sail Carnival again. I thought the whole sailing was a complete mess. We had a good time but very disappointed. I wAs so looking forward to Sydney but with our late arrival, their time zone and nothing really being open. It was the worse port. :(

Behind the back side of the Black Falcon parking garage is the Harpoon Brewery. They offer a tour for $5 including tasting. Just in case you are looking for something to do instead of sitting on the uncomfortable chairs waiting to board.

http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/breweries/boston/daily-schedule

Boston Strong!

Archived