NCL Spirit Med Cruise Q&A

While in the ports, did you see any internet cafes?

If so, were the computers older or a littler newer with a flash drive port? I keep a blog of my journey and would love to type it in my cabin, save it on a flash drive and then post it at an internet café. Cheaper than on the ship, I would believe.

On any of your nights, did they offer a discounts at the restaurants? I've read that sometimes they offer 2-4-1.

Thanks

None that I was aware of.

While in the ports, did you see any internet cafes?

If so, were the computers older or a littler newer with a flash drive port? I keep a blog of my journey and would love to type it in my cabin, save it on a flash drive and then post it at an internet café. Cheaper than on the ship, I would believe.

Lots of places with wifi, but I didnt use any computers. For my blog, I typed notes on my iphone notepad, and when I came across wifi, I copied the notes into my blog.

Our room stewart left a card at the nightly room turn-down, reminding us to change our clocks forward, and back, as well as in the daily.:)

If you get Charles, he also does wonderful towel animals, and taught my wife how to make them. :);)

We did not get cards, that would have been helpful! :) Our room attendant was wonderful, though.

Also I believe the captain mentioned the time change each evening, but sometimes it's difficult to hear, depending on where you are on the boat.

On any of your nights, did they offer a discounts at the restaurants? I've read that sometimes they offer 2-4-1.

Thanks

On 3 previous sailings on the Spirit I have never seen a price reduction or a 2 for 1 offer ever.

We did not get cards, that would have been helpful! :) Our room attendant was wonderful, though.

Also I believe the captain mentioned the time change each evening, but sometimes it's difficult to hear, depending on where you are on the boat.

Our room stewart left a card at the nightly room turn-down, reminding us to change our clocks forward, and back, as well as in the daily.:)

If you get Charles, he also does wonderful towel animals, and taught my wife how to make them. :);)

Thanks Mindy and Da-Painter, that's helpful. I was mostly worried about not knowing when to get back on board the days after time change, as we're planning to DIY in most ports. But now I know the days I'll be more prepared.

Thanks

No deals that I saw, except save a few bucks for booking the first three of these before the actual cruise...but I think the savings is $8 total. We did four specialty restaurants/experiences.

Le Bistro - very good...great service The rack of lamb was delicious as was the creme brulee.

Cagneys - Steak was very good as was the creme brulee (sensing a theme?)

La Trattoria - Service was ok, but food was only ok...Olive Garden would have been just as good so I would skip and just go to the MDR

Chef's Table - AMAZING...9 courses 5 wines (all you can drink) almost 4 hour experience and the service and food were OUT OF THIS WORLD! $89 for the experience which includes service charge and an after dinner drink at Champagne Charlie's. I would do this dinner again in a second! (If you have to, skip the other three, do this one and then just eat in the MDR) You can not book this ahead of time. This was our first task as soon as we boarded the ship, but I do know they had availability up to day 2 of the cruise as they had 2 Chef's Table on our 12 day itinerary.

Our room attendant left a card on our bed, too, for the time change - which is funny you did not get one Mindy. As she said earlier, our Room attendant Nengah was THE BOMB!

(Miss all my new friends already!!!)

Edited by kapitman

Speaking of wifi...were you able to easily access it for free in every port or every main interior city pretty easily with decent speeds?

Edited by ttnc4me

Thanks

We sailed on 12-21-2012 from Barcelona and they offered a 20% discount in the Le Bistro for the first night: it was a wonderful start for us!

Luckily we had also the amazing Chef's Table! :-)

Just returned from the cruise as well with Budgetfairytale, and others. It was amazing. I agree with Istanbul. Very crowded and no one takes no for an answer. Very different than what I thought it would be. It was so crowded.

In regards to your passports, they are all collected on embarkation. The ship makes arrangements at every port with customs and immigration etc. Once they ship gets the clearance from immigration, you are welcome to disembark. The night before our arrival in Venice (our last port) they were returned in a very orderly fashion. Each floor had a different time to go down to the showroom and collect them. We were surprised that they took them when we boarded, but no problem. We had to carry our ship card and picture id with us at everyport. I did copy my passport before we left and laminized it. We actually never had to show picture id.

We purchased all our euros, liras etc before we left home. We never used our charge cards. One person we know on the cruise had their card breached after buying a leather coat.

Our favorite place was Mykonos. Every port though had its own amazing feature. The said part was all the graffiti on the buildings. It was sad

We arrived 3 days before or cruise in Barcelona. We really enjoyed our train trip up to the Montserrat Monastery built into the side of a mountain. We did this on our own. We stayed at the Hotel Atlantis, (a reasonably priced hotel for location etc), which was a stone throw away from the HOHO buses and the top of Las Rambles. We also loved Guell Park, found on top of a dead end street off the hopon hopoff bus route red. It was just beautiful. One of our best places to look out over Barcelona. Well worth the climb up the steep street. FYI, about a city block going south on the Las Rambles strip is a grocery store you can pick up anything at. We found that great for snacks and spirits for the room. We got tired of seeing the guys throwing the squichy balls on the ground. They were trying to sell them at every place we stopped at on our cruise.

Watch going into St Marks in Venice. Professional pickpockets everywhere. The friend we travelled with had her purse strap magically broke, and she did not even know it. Nothing was missing because she had clutched her purse between her arm and side. There definitely was an attempt.

Here is a very important thing for the Ship layout. It is the colour of the carpet.

Elevators and area with red carpet is at the front of the ship

Elevators and area with green carpet is midship

Elevators and area with blue carpet are aft of the ship

It helped so much.

We were disappointed in the dinner in the Cagneys. My husbands steak was very tough, and it was actually better in the Garden dining room. I would not pay the extra. Mind you, he may have preferred the filet which I hear was terrific.

The staff on the ship were amazing. We were in room 6512, a oceanview. It was fine. We have always had a balcony, but with having to book this three weeks before the cruise we got what we could get. We were one of the castaways, from the cancelled Sunshine Cruise, and that a whole other story.

In Venice we did the tour of Doges Palace. It was really good. We had booked the secret tour of Doges Palace and the Bridge of Sighs, with our previous cruise line (read above), but we could not rebook it on this cruise as it was sold out. Book this ahead through the Palace webpage. I really wished we had another couple of days in Vencie. We stayed at the Arlecchino Hotel, eyeshot from the bus station, at the end of the people mover. It was a lovely place. It sits between to joining canals.

Galaxy of the Stars, and the Blue Lagoon (fish and chips were awesome and available 24 hours a day) were our favorite places on the ship.

At the Livorno port, we did the same as Mindy, "Livorno on Your Own"

Have to get back to reality, hope this helped with your plans. Will check again for any info we can lend you.

This was a trip of a life time for us, and it was even better than we expected.

Happy Cruising!

Debi (Seaing the World)

On the entire cruise in ports, I only saw 1 internet cafe, do not remember where it was. DW had trouble accessing her Yahoo mail on the ships computers, they gave her credit for the times she could not get on. It was very slow.

I noticed some folks had good wifi on their phones through out the ship.

There is a clock at the entry/exit of the ship with the current time, and the 'all aboard time' on a sign.

Now back to work. I am ready for my next cruise though. Miss all our new crusin' friends. ;)

Thanks for the info about WiFi @ McDonald's, we're doing that cruise this July and can't wait. Do you remember the name of that grocery store in Barcelona. We'll be there the Friday before our sail date (Monday) and we'll be staying at the Hotel Continental Barcelona on Las Rambla, around the same area you stayed at.

Thank You.

cheers...the Ump...:D

For what it's worth, we used our credit card at every port with no issues (and we checked our statement carefully once we got home). While you can't predict when fraud will strike, if you practice good judgement, always check your receipts before signing, and don't buy goods from some dude on the sidewalk, you'll probably be okay.

We bought four bottles of wine at the Carrefour market on Las Ramblas to bring on the ship. Each bottle was under 10 euros.

The port was Istanbul, Turkey! Beware of anyone giving you free books etc, especially near the Blue Mosque, as they will take you to their family rug place and try and sell you stuff.

Check on the hours of the Blue Mosque the day you will be in the port, as it is closed during prayer meeting (noontime). We were told it was closed the day we were there from 12-2, although I am thinking it may have been at open at 1pm and it was a way to corner you into buying a carpet. These people, mainly young men are standing all around the hop/on/hop/off buses etc., in front of the Mosque. Its a total rip off. They are very very pushy, and will follow you until you stop. You have to be rude and say go away, and then they still try. We arrived there at 11:55am. We did not stay.

Mindy, did they charge you a corkage fee on the wine?

We bought wine at the port in Barcelona. There is a shop just inside the security machines. The lady was like "put these in your bag". We did...and no more security machines or any questions. 3 bottles...no corkage. They even had some hard liquor there.

budgetfairytale, Realitoes, Da-Painter, Joannel1958, kapitman, and Seaing the World, thank you all for posting your experiences and thoughts about your cruise. Very interesting and helpful information by each of you!

Mindy, did they charge you a corkage fee on the wine?

No. In fact the xray machine attendant made a big production about putting them through and keeping them safe, like precious cargo - lol. I kept waiting for the table to pay the corkage fee, but nope. Once we got on the ship, DH went back off to the little shop inside the port and bought two bottles of rum and a 6 pack of Coke and carried them on with no problems.

budgetfairytale, Realitoes, Da-Painter, Joannel1958, kapitman, and Seaing the World, thank you all for posting your experiences and thoughts about your cruise. Very interesting and helpful information by each of you!

You are welcome!

How was weather for your cruise? Just wondering if it was warm throughout or not.

High 60s most of the days. The first sea day was freezing/windy, and the second sea day was blazing hot. Athens was hot - in the 80s. Raining and cold on disembark day in Venice. I didn't need anything more than a light sweater for any of the ports (except for disembarking in Venice).

Just returned from the cruise as well with Budgetfairytale, and others. It was amazing. I agree with Istanbul. Very crowded and no one takes no for an answer. Very different than what I thought it would be. It was so crowded.

In regards to your passports, they are all collected on embarkation. The ship makes arrangements at every port with customs and immigration etc. Once they ship gets the clearance from immigration, you are welcome to disembark. The night before our arrival in Venice (our last port) they were returned in a very orderly fashion. Each floor had a different time to go down to the showroom and collect them. We were surprised that they took them when we boarded, but no problem. We had to carry our ship card and picture id with us at everyport. I did copy my passport before we left and laminized it. We actually never had to show picture id.

We purchased all our euros, liras etc before we left home. We never used our charge cards. One person we know on the cruise had their card breached after buying a leather coat.

Our favorite place was Mykonos. Every port though had its own amazing feature. The said part was all the graffiti on the buildings. It was sad

We arrived 3 days before or cruise in Barcelona. We really enjoyed our train trip up to the Montserrat Monastery built into the side of a mountain. We did this on our own. We stayed at the Hotel Atlantis, (a reasonably priced hotel for location etc), which was a stone throw away from the HOHO buses and the top of Las Rambles. We also loved Guell Park, found on top of a dead end street off the hopon hopoff bus route red. It was just beautiful. One of our best places to look out over Barcelona. Well worth the climb up the steep street. FYI, about a city block going south on the Las Rambles strip is a grocery store you can pick up anything at. We found that great for snacks and spirits for the room. We got tired of seeing the guys throwing the squichy balls on the ground. They were trying to sell them at every place we stopped at on our cruise.

Watch going into St Marks in Venice. Professional pickpockets everywhere. The friend we travelled with had her purse strap magically broke, and she did not even know it. Nothing was missing because she had clutched her purse between her arm and side. There definitely was an attempt.

Here is a very important thing for the Ship layout. It is the colour of the carpet.

Elevators and area with red carpet is at the front of the ship

Elevators and area with green carpet is midship

Elevators and area with blue carpet are aft of the ship

It helped so much.

We were disappointed in the dinner in the Cagneys. My husbands steak was very tough, and it was actually better in the Garden dining room. I would not pay the extra. Mind you, he may have preferred the filet which I hear was terrific.

The staff on the ship were amazing. We were in room 6512, a oceanview. It was fine. We have always had a balcony, but with having to book this three weeks before the cruise we got what we could get. We were one of the castaways, from the cancelled Sunshine Cruise, and that a whole other story.

In Venice we did the tour of Doges Palace. It was really good. We had booked the secret tour of Doges Palace and the Bridge of Sighs, with our previous cruise line (read above), but we could not rebook it on this cruise as it was sold out. Book this ahead through the Palace webpage. I really wished we had another couple of days in Vencie. We stayed at the Arlecchino Hotel, eyeshot from the bus station, at the end of the people mover. It was a lovely place. It sits between to joining canals.

Galaxy of the Stars, and the Blue Lagoon (fish and chips were awesome and available 24 hours a day) were our favorite places on the ship.

At the Livorno port, we did the same as Mindy, "Livorno on Your Own"

Have to get back to reality, hope this helped with your plans. Will check again for any info we can lend you.

This was a trip of a life time for us, and it was even better than we expected.

Happy Cruising!

Debi (Seaing the World)

Thanks for all this information - we are doing this cruise in reverse (Venice to Barcelona) in October - very excited. We are booked at the Arlecchino also so glad to hear the good review. This is our first cruise! BTW what are squichy balls?

Speaking of wifi...were you able to easily access it for free in every port or every main interior city pretty easily with decent speeds?

We were able to find free wifi (well with at least a purchase of a drink or ice cream) at every port except the two in Turkey (looked in Istanbul, but didn't in Izmir). Turkey did have wife zones and I saw several seedy looking internet cafes. Everywhere worked well enough to use Skype video. Didn't stop at any McDonalds, I know the ones around us here in Germany don't have very good speeds.