Would you be disappointed? Luau question...

ngapeach

Just curious, if a luau is a must. It seems like a lot of money for the 6 of us and most say the food is just average. My teens seem excited about the more active excursions such as snorkeling, helicopter ride and hiking. Would you have felt disappointed if you had skipped the Luau? Is it worth the money?

If youre going for the food, you will be disappointed if you go. If you want to see traditional dance and fire dancers, you might be just fine seeing a show without the eating portion. You can eat at a local restaurant and get local food.

On friday nights, you can get a teenie taste of a show at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. There is a procession, short 'hula show' followed by fireworks on the beach and it is free to all. I would go to that and see if you are satisfied or yearn for more.

I cant tell you if you'll be disappointed if you'll miss one....only you know that. Some people feel its a 'must' when you come here....and some could care less. We've been to two. I am glad we went to one...the food at one was outstanding and the show at the other was far superior....I wouldnt be devastated if I hadnt gone.

For 6 people, the cost will add up fast.....but that is any activity.

Suebee,

You mentioned that one luau was far superior....what luau was that? We would like to see a great show not really worried about the food as we will probably not like anything on the menu.

Thanks!

Like anything, take my opinion with a grain of salt!

I have been to the Paradise Cove and the Hale Koa's Luaus. PC was a superior show but the food was brought in from a caterer and was served buffet style (I paid for the exceptional seats and had table service but the food was the same). I wasnt impressed with the food at all. DH is a musician and really thought the band was terrific....the show flowed well and was fun to watch.

The Hale Koa is a hotel at Waikiki and is Military and their guests only. The food was prepared on the premises and was out of this world....but the emcee droaned and we were so tired of him we didnt make it to the end of the show (the rest of the talent was terrific, but we just couldnt handle the emcee...he stopped the flow of the show a lot and it was difficult to stay 'into it')

Many people feel the Polynesian Cultural Center has the best show by virtue of the sheer size of it. If you want something spectacular, that might be the one. I have heard great things about germaine's too....all on Oahu.

No one goes to the luaus for the food to be sure! So if you are looking for a good show, by all means, enjoy!

As for the food, it is quite a variety...they serve fresh fruits and salads, along with some form of chicken and fish and Kailua Pig (roasted pork). Some have a beef too. And of course Poi is served just as a laugh. There is something for every taste....and there are always rolls.

What time does the show start on Fridays at the HHV?

It changes with the season. Check with the hotel or on their web page but I believe for the fireworks its 7:30 in the winter months and 8 in the summer months...because of the sunset times.

Also if I remember correctly, the HHV procession began at 6:30 at the reception area (flag pole) and worked their way to the pool. Its crowded at the pool and only guests are allowed to have seats, but you can find a spot standing and still see.

I would say that going to a laua while in Hawaii is probably a good thing to do if you can swing it. I did it within the first 2 weeks of living here when I was still in tourist mode and I'm glad I did. Now that was here in Kona at the King Kamameha Hotel. I honestly don't remember what the food was like but I probably thought it was fine.

I've been to/served at/participated in many more since then and I still love them. I don't care as much for many of the Polynesian dance styles as I love the Hawaiian hulas, they are so graceful and beautiful and I just love the music.

I also NOW don't think poi is a joke or anything but it is an important part of our culture and I think they serve it as much as that as to give you a little taste of something I'm sure you've all heard of before.

I don't like poi all by itself and I also don't like the other staple you'll probably see called lomi salmon. It is little cubes of tomatoes and salmon and other things like onion and stuff. I don't care for any kind of salmon. That said!! I LOVE the two together. I take them and mix them together and I'm in heaven. My friend's sister told me about this trick and she's lived here "all her life". It's the only way she can eat them also. Funny, yeah???

Try it. *smile*

My vote is go if you can and if there is a more "Hawaiian" one - go to that rather than the Polynesian "Review" type. Though they are exciting and all. But that is just my humble opinion. lol!!!

Emi

imo a luau is like the changing of the guard at buckingham palace or high tea at the empress in victoria----------you should do these things once-------now the gondola ride in venice is different that you should do evertime

We were in Hawaii in April and did the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui which is reported to be the best. It was a lovely setting, although too crowded for my taste. The food and the dances were fine....but to me the experience didn't live up to its reputation. It was OK...but certainly nothing I would do again. I would say spend the money on more active things that you think your family will enjoy more.

We did Germaines Luau in Dec./05 and it was terrific. Food was OK but show was amazing. Long bus ride to the ocean side site but entertainment by host on the bus with some games and jokes....

Look on Germaines web site for coupons and 2 for ones or discounts in the entertainment guide.

We got show and dinner for much reduced price than regular. I'll look and see what it was exactly if I still have the stuff.

Go and enjoy it....

Sally

Just returned from Hawaii and would recommend a luau by all means. We did our homework and booked on our own. I can highly recommend the Old Lahaina Luau. It has a reputation for being one of the finest. It is pricey $85 pp, but I think it was worth it. The location was beautiful, the buffet had real Hawaiian food and was very good ( the yellowfin tuna - raw - took some getting used to. The dancing and music was great and the entire show was a story of the history of the Hawaiian Islands. Oh yes, there was an open bar with many tropical drinks to choose from.

I honestly don't care for Hawaiian food (I know, it's my problem), but entertainment, music and dance is something not to be missed. Most luaus have a mixture of entertainment from most of the Pacific Island group. These Hawaii music and hula, Maori style from New Zealand, Fijiian, Samoan style, but my favorite is Tihitian.

It's so cool to be at a gathering, a wedding, party, whatever, and the musicians start playing a song, and someone goes up front and does a spontaneous hula. It really makes this place special.

The entertainment show at the Polynesian Cultural Center is the best, but I've heard good things about Paradise Cove. Good, best are all relative. Just go out and experience it. :cool:

Tihitian is good and fast! I had the best time one night watching a little girl of about 10 or so dancing to her daddy's music....*smile* Now every time I hear that beat I want to do that same type of dance with my hands and shoulders...hard to explain.

My "Auntie" Jo is now about 77 and she is able to dance hulas like the proper young girls are not allowed to do it, it is called a kolohe or rascally type of dance and boy if only all of you could experience it. It is soooooooo funny!!! We are/did?? have a tribute to Hilo Hattie here in Hilo and apparently the kapuna were going to do some dances like the infamous Hilo Hattie. lol!! Same type of thing - VERY KOLOHE!!

Emi

I have been to Hawaii five times and finally went to a Luau at the Maui Marriott.

The food was good, the show was great. We decided to go after taking a time share tour and one of the options was free tickets to the Marriott Luau.

If you are skeptical, in Maui you can see most of the show from the beach walk

take a preview stroll and then decide !

My DH and I were on the POA cruise April 10-17 this year. We booked our own luau in Kauai at Smith's Tropical Paradise Luau. As we had a rental car, we drove to the luau. It's located near the Fern Grotto. The food was good and the entertainment was excellent. I don't remember the price, but we thought that it was reasonable for an evening's entertainment.

See http://www.hawaii-luaus.com/kauai.htm

Our family spent 3 weeks in Hawaii last summer. We did the Germaine's luau. We also used the 2 for 1 coupons in the Entertainment book on-line. It saved us a ton of money for four adult tickets. The luau was wonderful entertainemnt. The food was OK. They picked us up at the hotel with no charge so the long ride out to the luau wasn't a problem. Also, they dropped us off after the luau so we din't have to worry about driving back. They gave each adult two tickets for alcoholic drinks that were included in the price. I felt it was a great Hawaiian experience! Hope this helps!:)

The on-line Entertainment Book for Hawaii is a very smart way to save money, especially for someone spending more than a couple of days here. It costs $25-30 and that is recouped very quickly. Everything else is just gravy.

They're sold here locally every fall by schools and groups as fundraisers, just like Zippy's chili tickets :cool:

Hi, about the coupon book. We are from Canada and I booked the Luau by phone from here before we left. The happily accepted the entertainment card I have already, even though it is not hawaiian. What a great deal. The entertainment was wonderful and I would love to do it again.

Have fun.

S

Guest Snorkelbunny

I have been to three Luau's and had a great time at them all! I think it's something you should do once in your lifetime. I only did a second Luau as the person I was traveling with had never been and then as luck would have it we won the Maui Luau in our condo's prize pool! Life is funny :)

The Royal Hawaiian Hotel's Luau on Oahu was the most "upscale" of them all. The entertainment was fantastic! Gorgeous views!

The Coconut Beach Hotel on Kauai puts on a good Luau. I would recommend it.

The Royal Laihaina Luau on Maui (not to be confused with the Old Laihaina Luau) was alright, but my least favorite of the three. Again, there were gorgeous views.

I didn't go to a Luau until my 15th or so trip to Hawaii. I don't think you'll really miss out on all that much if you don't go on your first trip but eventually it's a fun thing to do. I went to the Feast at Lele on Maui as the food was reputed to be the best. It's also not a pure Hawaiian show but a mix of the Polynesian styles of dance, music and food. The food was very good and the service was excellent (not a buffet). I also liked that it was fairly small so it didn't feel too touristy.

Archived