Petit train in Marseilles

shumdit1

The petit train doesn't go anywhere near the cruise terminals. There are two routes, one through the Old Town and one up to Notre Dame de la Garde on the top of the hill.

Both leave from the Old Port and both have just one stop on their respective routes -- it's not a fully-fledged HOHO service, though on both routes you can get off at that one stop and pick up another train later. More details in this full guide to how to get around Marseille. http://www.marseille-provence.info/marseille-marseilles/practical-information-travel-food-climate/20-how-to-get-around-marseille.html

I did the little train. If you Google Map (Satellite View) 176 Quai du Port, Marseille, France

you can zoom in and actually see the train at it's starting point on the street. You can even select Street View and see the train up close.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to jump on, but have a similar question. For those who have done it how did you get to the embarkation point for the train? Taxi or cruise shuttle?

Seems like a pleasant way to see the sights.

Just returned from a Med cruise, which included a Marseille stop. The petit train starts at the Old Port. From the cruise ship you can take the shuttle or a taxi. Price for shuttle was €14 RT each or €20 for a taxi(one way). The Petit Train kiosk is by the drop off point.

All big ship in Marseille use commercial port about 5-6 miles from Downtown, Joliett port can be used for small ship only. If you Cruise company wants 20 E for shuttle - skip it, local bus 35 for 1.50 E pp- its way to go

Wow. I feel so ripped off. LOL Which ship were you on and where did you dock?

We took the shuttle after lunch following a tour to Aix.

We were told that the merchants subsidized the shuttle when we were in Marseilles. And the ship never told us about it. We heard about the shuttle from a crew member.

All big ship in Marseille use commercial port about 5-6 miles from Downtown, Joliett port can be used for small ship only. If you Cruise company wants 20 E for shuttle - skip it, local bus 35 for 1.50 E pp- its way to go

Hi. How far is the walk from Joliette to Old Port? Thanks

I was on Ncl Epic May 8-15. Did afternoon excursion to Aix through NCL. With that excursion ticket - can take Ncl shuttle free from port - it lets you off right by the petite train kiosk. I did this in A.M. Took the petite train to Notre Dame - so relaxing! Then returned to Epic on shuttle for free, ate lunch and then went on my Aix en Provence tour. A fellow passenger told me about the shuttle being free if you have an excursion booked. hope that helps someone here.

Where is the closest place to pick up the train from the cruise port?

We just did Marseille and we took that little train. It didn't show us much - I would choose a ship excursion and go to Provence or something..anything...but hanging-around Marseille.

To answer your question....our Carnival ship shuttle was 14 Euro per person from the ship to a little drop-off/pedestrian street and the train was literally a few steps away. The train takes you up to Notre Dame where you can get off (or not) and brings you back. There are no other stops.

If you are dead set on the train, I wrote about it in my review in my signature below.

I was on Ncl Epic May 8-15. Did afternoon excursion to Aix through NCL. With that excursion ticket - can take Ncl shuttle free from port - it lets you off right by the petite train kiosk. I did this in A.M. Took the petite train to Notre Dame - so relaxing! Then returned to Epic on shuttle for free, ate lunch and then went on my Aix en Provence tour. A fellow passenger told me about the shuttle being free if you have an excursion booked. hope that helps someone here.

How was the tour to Aix? We are on HAL in July and they offer a 4 hour tour. I really just want to walk around Aix and don't know how much time is needed. HAL says you get about 2 1/2 hours there. Enough time? Not sure if I want to hassle with getting to the train station, taking a public bus, etc.

How was the tour to Aix? We are on HAL in July and they offer a 4 hour tour. I really just want to walk around Aix and don't know how much time is needed. HAL says you get about 2 1/2 hours there. Enough time? Not sure if I want to hassle with getting to the train station, taking a public bus, etc.

We took a morning half day tour of Aix on HAL. We too had about 4 hours. We first started out as a group led by a guide. After an hour (and learning where to meet at the end of the tour) we just left the tour guide with some friends and did our own thing. Basically we walked, shopped, stopped for an espresso etc. It was very nice but not long enough. We were back at the ship by lunch, but enjoyed Aix.

as I said before, from cruise port easy walk along green line to exit, get on local bus 35, 10-12 minutes ride to Joliet, walk to Old port to petit train

This was exactly what we did last week. The route is marked by both the green line and also signs every so often telling you how much further it is (it was 1.4 km from where we docked at the end of the pier).

Both the 35 and "special" buses go to the same place (the special makes no stops in between) and one or the other was nearly always there.

Cost was 1.40 Euro each way (and if you want to connect and go further, your ticket is good for one hour after you scan it and there are other buses and a metro pretty much right where you are let off in town).

(BTW--if you want to see photos of the signs and walking route for any reason, I will be adding the Marseilles post to my blog--see my signature--tonight and I plan to include photos of that; it was so well set up to make it easy for tourists, we were impressed).

Thanks Disney Lover....what cruise line were you on?

Look forward to seeing the photos and signs then I will know what to look for

We were on RCI's Legend of the Seas the last two weeks. (and the photos are up on the blog now if you are still wanting to see them).

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived