Formal nights on MSC Splendida

sealegs14

I have booked a Splendida Mediterranean cruise for July 2013. I will be travelling with my Husband, son (16) and daughter (9). I think there are 2 formal nights. Is the expectation that people wear full formal dress on these evenings?

I've cruised with P&O before and my son wore full kilt outfit which was a big hit. Would this be appropriate, or over the top on a summer cruise with an Italian line?

Also is formal dress mandatory throughout the ship?

Thanks for your advice.

I have booked a Splendida Mediterranean cruise for July 2013. I will be travelling with my Husband, son (16) and daughter (9). I think there are 2 formal nights. Is the expectation that people wear full formal dress on these evenings?

I've cruised with P&O before and my son wore full kilt outfit which was a big hit. Would this be appropriate, or over the top on a summer cruise with an Italian line?

Also is formal dress mandatory throughout the ship?

Thanks for your advice.

The dress code is more of a suggestion and not strictly enforced.

As for a full kilt outfit, I'm sure your son would be the only one! It may be a little over the top but so what? If he wants to, he should!

The dress code is more of a suggestion and not strictly enforced.

As for a full kilt outfit, I'm sure your son would be the only one! It may be a little over the top but so what? If he wants to, he should!

Sealegs14, as Papcx says, the daily programme only suggests a dress code for the evening. On gala nights this is 'formal'. I like dressing up so disobeyed the casual code a few times :). To me part of cruising is the old-world glamour, except people like me can (almost) afford it now. If your son wants to dress in full kilt attire, I am sure it would be very much appreciated by both fellow guests and the staff who have to serve us.

The one rule is no shorts or beachwear in the evening. This is a rule rather than a suggestion but, again, it is not enforced.

When the world is forever getting more casual, I feel dressing up is just showing respect for your fellow guests and helps make the moment special.

Archived