Epic - Mediterranean - how quiet during port days?

I have the fantastic opportunity to spend some quality mother/daughter time with my DD (7 years) this summer as I (we) have more vacation days than my DH (DD's father).

Our DD has been on several NCL cruises already and enjoys them very much. Granted we have cruised usually in suites and this time I could afford only an inside but it would be just the two of us. :) And we'd still be on a cruise. :D

The Epic really excites me as the pool area itself would be fantastic for us but I'm wondering how crowded the ship will be during port days. I would assume that most passengers (or at least a very large portion) are going onshore on the Mediterranean itinerary. However this is only my assumption so I'll need advice from people who know more than I do. That being you wonderful people on cruisecritic. :)

We live in Europe and our DD has visited already some of the ports in the Epic's itinerary (land based vacations) and those that she has not visited we'd most likely like to visit anyway also as land based vacations (Rome and Florence for example). So what I'm very much considering would be to make the Epic the main (and almost only) destination of our vacation and simply stay onboard on port days also.

Do you think the ship's pool area would be more "tolerable" during port days? I know my DD would just love the pool area but hate the crowds. Any other opinions? Does this sound doable or would we be just bored to death? :o

I have the fantastic opportunity to spend some quality mother/daughter time with my DD (7 years) this summer as I (we) have more vacation days than my DH (DD's father).

Our DD has been on several NCL cruises already and enjoys them very much. Granted we have cruised usually in suites and this time I could afford only an inside but it would be just the two of us. :) And we'd still be on a cruise. :D

The Epic really excites me as the pool area itself would be fantastic for us but I'm wondering how crowded the ship will be during port days. I would assume that most passengers (or at least a very large portion) are going onshore on the Mediterranean itinerary. However this is only my assumption so I'll need advice from people who know more than I do. That being you wonderful people on cruisecritic. :)

We live in Europe and our DD has visited already some of the ports in the Epic's itinerary (land based vacations) and those that she has not visited we'd most likely like to visit anyway also as land based vacations (Rome and Florence for example). So what I'm very much considering would be to make the Epic the main (and almost only) destination of our vacation and simply stay onboard on port days also.

Do you think the ship's pool area would be more "tolerable" during port days? I know my DD would just love the pool area but hate the crowds. Any other opinions? Does this sound doable or would we be just bored to death? :o

Med cruise - lots of Europeans will have done this route before - so many will enjoy the ship during port days. You are asking the question on a mainly American forum - where the opinion will be (if in the Med) that they would leave the ship;

Med cruise - ten a penny for Europeans - lots of people will stay on the ship ...

This past March/April I was on the Jade with my Mom & daughter (10 yrs) & we decided to skip getting off in Athens because we've been many times. The weather was lovely & the ship deserted! My daughter had a great time swimming & having free reign around the ship. It was a relaxing morning for her :) I didn't really mind not getting off either since my fav part of a cruise is being at sea.

Have a great time :)

I have the fantastic opportunity to spend some quality mother/daughter time with my DD (7 years) this summer as I (we) have more vacation days than my DH (DD's father). :o

Hi

We did a similar itinerary last year on RCI, we were going to get off in Villefranche and Naples but chose to stay onboard and found the ship very quiet, one of the reasons we chose NCL for this year apart from price was for the stop at Naples.

We found that because the itineraries are so port intensive that we did not make the most of the ship and it's entertainments, it was only in the evenings and our sea day which was towards the end of our trip that we realised how full the ship was.

If you are booking in Europe have a look at booking through the EU site as on some cruises during the summer holidays the pricing is different to the UK site as the EU site gives discounts for a child travelling as a second passenger.

Damon

Archived