Star Clipper to St Martin November 2013 - who is aboard?

Simonthesailor

Just wondering if anyone out there is booked for this Transatlantic trip.

We did it last year as an excellent means of crossing to the Caribbean from Europe and had so much fun we immediately booked again for this year!

Very happy to try and answer questions from anyone thinking about it or who has booked.

• 1 month later...

We are thinking about it but want to know more abouta the weather and sea first. My husband loves sailing but i am not that much of a hero. Especially rough sea might be a challenge for me. Can you please advise on your experiences?

• 1 month later...

Hi Sydney

Apologies for not responding before - my wife and I have been away in our sailboat for a few weeks in France - and not often able to do much more online other than deal with emails.

I may not be the best one to ask about weather conditions and their affect after spending most of my life at sea in ships & small sailboats including going across the Atlantic and beyond! In anything bigger than 10ft, it is (to me) always calm and comfortable!

What I can say is that the temperature will be good, about 75 in the Canaries and slowly getting warmer as the sea gets bluer! November is a good time to set off on what should be a steady downwind Trade wind crossing. That should mean gentle rolling, although steadied by the sails, and no pitching which is what many people find uncomfortable. Sailing Eastbound is a different story, motoring hard into the wind and swell with little use of the sails can be expected.

Westbound the usual pattern is to sail by day, quite slowly with only a modest amount of sail area in use and motor at night to keep up the passage speed.

In 2012 we had no unpleasant conditions - 2013 who knows?

If you are happy with 14 nights at sea enjoying the relaxing ambiance of a sailing ship with low key, simple entertainment and one musician (plus lots of others who want to sing , then this is the trip for you.

• 2 months later...

My husband and I are aboard from Malaga to St. Maarten. We are looking forward to our first sailing with Star Clippers. We will spend a few days in Malaga before boarding the Star Clipper. Do you have any other advice for us? Thanks.

Patty and Jim Conaty

My husband and I are aboard from Malaga to St. Maarten. We are looking forward to our first sailing with Star Clippers. We will spend a few days in Malaga before boarding the Star Clipper. Do you have any other advice for us? Thanks.

Patty and Jim Conaty

Hi Patty and Jim

Looking forward to meeting you.

We have not done the Malaga to Canaries voyage with SC but you will have fun. Plenty to see and do in Malaga but quite a busy area. We have used the good train system there to visit other resorts along the coast.

Last year the weather on this leg was reported to be quite tough (it is that time of the year when it can go either way!) so some port visits were curtailed. We were told that the Marrakesh tour was exhausting - early start and a long time in a coach - if you are thinking of doing that one.

Other thoughts:

The Satellite internet connection broke down two days out of Gran Canaria (the satellite coverage of this little used Atlantic route is poor anyway so this may be a regular occurence) so if you will be relying on that you should be prepared for failure!

The SC guidance on clothing and formality (or lack of it) is accurate. Bar prices are amongst the best value afloat.

Hopefully the vessel will again only be 75% filled which adds to the feel of spaciousness.

You will be going soon - travel well! - but if you have any specific questions in the meantime I can try to answer.

Simon (& Hilda)

Archived